The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-24-2023, 07:57 PM

Default Larrivee custom build

Hi ;I mentioned this guitar before and it is still months away. Just want to ask if any of you guys have ever had a guitar custom built by Larrivee? Thanks.
Old 12-24-2023, 08:41 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi ;I mentioned this guitar before and it is still months away. Just want to ask if any of you guys have ever had a guitar custom built by Larrivee? Thanks.
I had a 2005 OM-05 built with an ab top, and 1 7/8 nut...very nice guitar that I wish I still had. It was a great experience with lots of interaction with Matthew and Jean.

Old 12-24-2023, 08:47 PM

Thats cool! I wish I had the build experience with the builders ,when I text him ;I feel like I 'm bothering these guys . Not making changes ; just wanna know "how's it going?" Any pictures?
Old 12-24-2023, 09:53 PM
Charter Member

It's hard not to check in! I am in a similar situation, and I would be willing to bet I am driving Marc Beneteau nuts with questions. I havent yet decided on tonewoods, and I am just one question after the other. He kindly answers, but I know I am being a much, if you know what I mean. So, I get it. I am gonna tried harder to contain my excitement. But I certainly do understand you checking in. Probably lots of others here do too.
Old 12-25-2023, 07:48 AM

I had one. Matt is super to work with. Mine came out wonderfully...couldn't have been happier.
Old 12-25-2023, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thats cool! I wish I had the build experience with the builders ,when I text him ;I feel like I 'm bothering these guys . Not making changes ; just wanna know "how's it going?" Any pictures?
I know exactly what you mean. It's good I don't live anywhere near where my build is happening. I'd probably be dropping by regularly. I would hope they wouldn't be bothered by a request for pictures every few weeks or just a brief note if they haven't been able to work on it.
Old 12-25-2023, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I had one. Matt is super to work with. Mine came out wonderfully...couldn't have been happier.
Is Matt a Larrivee person of contact?
Old 01-03-2024, 03:46 PM
Tune Up Guitars

Quote:
I've had several custom guitars built for my shop and for customers. The process can take a long time based on specifications. Changing things like scale length, nut width, bridge spacing... etc, any big change outside the standard, adds several months to the builds. They recently moved to a larger factory so they are able to complete custom orders faster now. I have a 24.75" short scale 00-40R and also a OM-03R with a Mahogany top. The Mahogany paired with the Rosewood was really impressed me. Here is a demo video

YouTube Channel
Old 01-04-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTuneUp View Post
I've had several custom guitars built for my shop and for customers. The process can take a long time based on specifications. Changing things like scale length, nut width, bridge spacing... etc, any big change outside the standard, adds several months to the builds. They recently moved to a larger factory so they are able to complete custom orders faster now. I have a 24.75" short scale 00-40R and also a OM-03R with a Mahogany top. The Mahogany paired with the Rosewood was really impressed me. Here is a demo video

That hog top/rosewood back is a very interesting Guitar. I’ve never bonded with Larrivee rosewood, but the hog top adds some mids and also warmth that the Sitka top seems to be missing. Honestly, it reminds me of my OM-03 Sitka/hog! Nice video, too!
Old 01-04-2024, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Is Matt a Larrivee person of contact?
Well, he is Matt Larrivee, Jeans’s son….😎
That’s what makes this company special, the whole family is involved.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 01-04-2024, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
Well, he is Matt Larrivee, Jeans’s son….😎
That’s what makes this company special, the whole family is involved.
Oh ok; I 'm still waiting to hear something ,anything but I kind of expected not to hear any news on the build because they are probably swamped with impatient idiots like me . I 'll wait.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Oh ok; I 'm still waiting to hear something ,anything but I kind of expected not to hear any news on the build because they are probably swamped with impatient idiots like me . I 'll wait.
Did you have to order through an authorized dealer or did you just order through Larrivée?
Old 02-29-2024, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantex View Post
Did you have to order through an authorized dealer or did you just order through Larrivée?
I ordered right from Larrivee ,if Matt is the person who I deal with ;then he just told me to call him "Junior". He basically told me, thru texts, that he just can't answer all the texts he gets . He doesn't sound like ;how can I say this" he doesn't seem to have good bedside manner " . He is probably a nice guy ;just a lot going on.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Matt oversees a huge part of the operations of Larrivee - Jean is frequently seen about the globe searching out wood and attending shows, and I think Matt deals with the actual construction end of things - so he is incredibly busy, and while they do some custom work, it’s not their bread-and-butter. Expecting the kind of warm and fuzzy hand-holding experience you might get with a solo / custom builder (at many times the price) from a company like Larrivee is just not a reality. But you will get a very nice guitar -
Old 02-29-2024, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Matt oversees a huge part of the operations of Larrivee - Jean is frequently seen about the globe searching out wood and attending shows, and I think Matt deals with the actual construction end of things - so he is incredibly busy, and while they do some custom work, it’s not their bread-and-butter. Expecting the kind of warm and fuzzy hand-holding experience you might get with a solo / custom builder (at many times the price) from a company like Larrivee is just not a reality. But you will get a very nice guitar -
I'm sure you are right , I just expected the warm fuzzy thing ,didn't happen ...ha

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop