The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-04-2023, 02:32 PM

Default Franklin OM build

About two years ago, in the course of just catching up on the phone with Nick Kukich, somehow our chat morphed into a discussion about a new guitar, and I told Nick that I wanted an OM to compliment my Franklin Jumbo and Franklin Dread.
Do I really have to explain here why I wanted a new guitar? I think not!
I really love the jumbo and the Franklin Dread that I also own, and I trusted that I would be equally satisfied with a Franklin OM, so while we spoke about my sonic interests, playing tastes, neck shape preferences, etc — a recap of the discussion we’d had when Nick had built my jumbo — I essentially deferred to Nick’s judgement.
So, the main variables would involve the woods and decorative elements. Nick proposed various possible wood options — Koa, Cocobolo, Cuban Mahogany, some 60 year old East Indian Rosewood that he’s had since the 80s that has developed an amazing tap-tone.
We then went on to discuss design elements.
When I first thought of having Nick build me an OM, I considered abalone on the top and 42 style inlays on the fingerboard — over the years Nick has made some beautiful OM-42 style guitars:

This one he built in 1983 — The photo is from a great article in Fretboard 51.

Or this amazing guitar from 2016:

For another stunning example of a pearl topped Franklin, check out this excellent build thread:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=522401
Old 10-04-2023, 04:04 PM

And here's a 1983 promotional photo of Nick with a 42 style Franklin (apparently with his foot on a block of Englemann spruce!)

Last edited by mhw48; 10-05-2023 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:23 PM

Yes, most likely Engelmann. I visited Nick in 1984 when he lived in Sandpoint. I bought a billet of Engelmann from him and cut 5 tops. Nice wood, and it put the notion in my head that I could cut red spruce trees and make my own guitar tops. As it turned out, it ballooned into a sideline that yielded thousands of tops. Those were sold to everybody, including Martin.
Old 10-04-2023, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Here is a shot of my ‘19 Cuban Mahogany/Old German Spruce Franklin OMC whose build thread you referenced being auditioned by luthier John Slobod at a friend’s party a few weeks ago.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Nick builds an incredible guitar. You’re gonna love it! I played that guitar John was playing above. Stellar!
Old 10-05-2023, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Yes, most likely Engelmann. I visited Nick in 1984 when he lived in Sandpoint. I bought a billet of Engelmann from him and cut 5 tops. Nice wood, and it put the notion in my head that I could cut red spruce trees and make my own guitar tops. As it turned out, it ballooned into a sideline that yielded thousands of tops. Those were sold to everybody, including Martin.
That is a very cool piece of luthier history!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Here is a shot of my ‘19 Cuban Mahogany/Old German Spruce Franklin OMC whose build thread you referenced being auditioned by luthier John Slobod at a friend’s party a few weeks ago.
I would love to have heard John's impressions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Nick builds an incredible guitar. You’re gonna love it! I played that guitar John was playing above. Stellar!
Thanks's Juston, I know you own guitars built by some stellar builders (like John Slobod), so that's high praise!
Old 10-05-2023, 10:00 AM

Default 42 style? And Brazilian Rosewood.

As attractive as the traditional 42 style appointments are... I decided that I wanted something different.
Nick described a couple of rosette designs that he thought I’d like. I mentioned that I was thinking about his hand rubbed sunburst finish for the top, which I have on the Dread. This gave Nick an idea: a rosette design he’d used for Woody Mann’s jumbo, constructed out of tiny ebony and ivory triangles.
“On the sunburst it will look like the setting sun,” he said.
Having seen photo’s of Woody’s guitar, I really liked that rosette design, with it’s Art Deco influence.

Woody’s guitar had a lot of unusual design elements, and I suggested something equally special, maybe expanding on the Art Deco theme, to come up with a really unique guitar.
“And if it’s going to be something special, how about Brazilian Rosewood?”

Nick was busy building guitars, of course, so while I waited I started thinking about designs for the guitar.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:11 PM

I've had the privilege of playing a number of Nick's guitars. All were superb.

Please keep us posted on the build.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Whom are you calling a friend?

What a great day that was. Thank you so much for journeying to join T.I.N.Y.

I'm looking forward do seeing you in a week at Woodstock!
Old 10-06-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
I've had the privilege of playing a number of Nick's guitars. All were superb.

Please keep us posted on the build.
Will do! T.I.N.Y. looked like a lot of fun, I really enjoyed the photos of your event.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:51 AM

Default Brazilian sets

Nick sent me photos of different sets of Brazillian that he had. He had one set that was almost all black, which I thought would look great with the sunburst top, but Nick steered me away from it — “I already built you a black guitar.” (My Jumbo is African Blackwood)

The sets were all really nice, and I had some trouble deciding. We finally agreed on a straight-grained set:

Still pretty dark, but with some color in it.

Last edited by mhw48; 10-31-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-06-2023, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
Will do! T.I.N.Y. looked like a lot of fun, I really enjoyed the photos of your event.
You're not that far from New Haven, CT, right? Join us at next year's T.I.N.Y.

I organized T.I.N.Y. I in honor of my good pal Justonwo, who graced me with a visit. Here's to hoping that I can lure Juston back for T.I.N.Y. II.
Old 10-06-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
You're not that far from New Haven, CT, right? Join us at next year's T.I.N.Y.

I organized T.I.N.Y. I in honor of my good pal Justonwo, who graced me with a visit. Here's to hoping that I can lure Juston back for T.I.N.Y. II.
I'm in Manhattan, I would love to come! Maybe I'll bring a Franklin or two...
Old 10-06-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw48 View Post
I'm in Manhattan, I would love to come! Maybe I'll bring a Franklin or two...
Please!

See you at T.I.N.Y. II.
Old 10-06-2023, 07:01 PM

👍I am looking forward to T.I.N.Y. II

Last edited by mhw48; 10-06-2023 at 08:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop