The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-05-2018, 04:59 AM

I didn’t realize that buying a guitar was like buying a car. I have to go to every store and negotiate a deal? Then shop that deal and see if anyone will beat or match it? What a pain in the blank. So, where do I find the invoice pricing on a guitar??
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 03-05-2018, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer40 View Post
I didn’t realize that buying a guitar was like buying a car. I have to go to every store and negotiate a deal? Then shop that deal and see if anyone will beat or match it? What a pain in the blank...
If you're ok with paying the listed price or waiting until Guitar Center/Musicians Friend has 15% off sales you can avoid what you feel is an inconvenience...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-05-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
If you're ok with paying the listed price or waiting until Guitar Center/Musicians Friend has 15% off sales you can avoid what you feel is an inconvenience...
I was being a little sarcastic...but honestly, I did not know you could negotiate a price for a new guitar. I will have to give it a try when I'm in the market.
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Or you could could buy used and save an additional 20% off the sale price.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I was being a little sarcastic...but honestly, I did not know you could negotiate a price for a new guitar. I will have to give it a try when I'm in the market.
You can get between 15%-20% off retail every day on almost any brand.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
You can get between 15%-20% off retail every day on almost any brand.
Really, So I walk into GC or any store for that matter, and lets say I like a $400 guitar. I say, would you take $320 for it. More than likely he accepts?
Yamaha LS16R ARE
Ibanez AVT1-NT
Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
I try to buy local whenever possible. I like to support the little guy, but then again Jim at GR is a mom and pop shop so I am supporting a local shop. Just not local to me.
I like to do business locally too... if I can. But we have 10.25% sales tax on top of high state income tax plus crazy property tax. When I bought my 814ceDLX I couldn't see giving up an extra $400. Just too much extra... especially because I already paid income tax on the money I'd have to pay sales tax with. The local mom and pop shop didn't seem to be able to discount at all . I'd have loved to have purchased the guitar from them.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 03-05-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Really, So I walk into GC or any store for that matter, and lets say I like a $400 guitar. I say, would you take $320 for it. More than likely he accepts?
Yes. I will talk to the store manager if needed. And I don't ask, I tell them (nicely and respectfully) that I will buy the guitar "today" for my requested price. No price. No buy.

It helps if you have a current coupon (from the dealer or another dealer) but is not necessary usually (if they want to make the sale).

New purchases in last few years:

Vox AC4C1 = 25%
Epiphone ES335 Dot + hardshell case = 15%
Fender '62 AVRI Telecaster = 15%
Taylor Big Baby + hardshell case = 15%
Vox AC4HW1 = 20%
Larrivee SD 40 = 15%
Taylor 324 = 15%

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion