The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 12-28-2021, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Eastman Octive Mandolin-What's Next?

So I bought a used Eastman MDO305 octave mandolin to test the waters with the mando world. I'm enjoying the diversion from my usual 6 string habit but probably will never develop into a very good player.

This in no way a knock on Eastman but even though I like it, I'm wondering what the next step up in instrument tone & quality might be? I know there are options when you are ready to spend 3k & up, but are there choices in the 1500-2000 dollar range? I like the scale length and nut width of my Eastman but would like to try a bit larger sized body than the A style. TIA!
Old 12-28-2021, 01:12 PM

I looked at that Eastman but opted for a Fylde Touchstone Octave Mandola. Don't let the "mandola" thing bother you...anywhere outside of Britannia it's an octave mandolin. Has the same scale length as the Eastman but the body is MUCH larger (15+ inches instead of 12 and more than 1" deeper) and has an actual soundhole instead of the paired f-holes. Great sound, loud and deep. On the high side for this old fingerstyle guitarist is that the nut is 1.5" instead of 1.38" giving a lot more room on the fingerboard...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:58 PM
Charter Member

Next step up I know of is Northfield and Weber. Lucky to have Eastman making them.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 12-28-2021, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Next step up I know of is Northfield and Weber. Lucky to have Eastman making them.
Yes, the Eastman is nice, although I changed the sloppy tuners.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:58 AM

You could also keep your eyes peeled for a used Peterson octave mandolin - they turn up from time to time and are usually in the $1200 range. US made, all solid wood, good reputation. Similarly priced would be a used Weber Sage octave mandolin. Posting a "wanted" listing for either of those models might turn one up. Both would have slightly larger bodies than the Eastman does.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:58 AM

The bigger bodied mandolin-family instruments are a niche-within-a-niche. I always say there are 1,000 - 10,000 guitar players for every mandolin player. There are probably 1,000 mandolin players for every mandola, octave mandolin or mandocello player. Mandobass players are never found in captivity. So outside of a place like Carter's, Gruhn's, Gryphon, Elderly, etc. you'll never walk into a shop and find a few different octave mandolins to try out.

So demand for these "big" mando's is small and offerings are subsequently few. In octave mandolins you basically have the A style (Trinity College, Hora, Gold Tone, Weber, custom builders and now Eastman), the F style (Weber and custom builders), and guitar-bodied octave mandolins (GBOM's). The latter include Northfield, some amazing one-man shops (Austin Clark, Andrew Mowry, Fletcher Brock) and a whole bunch of DIY conversions of guitars, specifically older arch top guitars.

There were some pretty forgettable entry level OM's by Johnson, Michael Kelly and similar budget asian imports. I bought one years ago - I still have it but never play it since I got my 21-1/2 Cricket Fiddle (Tom TJ Jessen) F4 style OM. TJ also makes A style and GBOM's. I have no business/financial affiliation, but I really like TJ's instruments and have bought 5 over the years. IMO his OM's sound and play as well as Weber's for less than half the cost. That's why my Michael Kelly OM lives in the closet.

So basically you have the entry level OM's, the Eastman and Gold Tone, some unknown to most but affordable builders like TJ, and then you're in the multi thousand dollar instruments which include Northfield, Weber, Joe Mendel, Clark, Mowry, Brock, Nigel Forster, Graham Macdonald, etc.

Resist the urge to go cheap. The low budget starter models don't sound good, and are nearly impossible to sell for anything but a substantial loss when/if you eventually upgrade. I'd say if experience with the Eastman has you wanting to move up and you don't want to go the guitar conversion route, save up around $ 1,500 - $3,500 for a used Mendel, Petersen, Jessen, Fylde, Forster, etc. (or $ 3,000 to $ 8,000 new) for the next level (Northfield, Weber, custom build). There isn't anything I'm aware of in between.

Last edited by Mandobart; 12-29-2021 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-29-2021, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
The bigger bodied mandolin-family instruments are a niche-within-a-niche. I always say there are 1,000 - 10,000 guitar players for every mandolin player. There are probably 1,000 mandolin players for every mandola, octave mandolin or mandocello player. Mandobass players are never found in captivity. So outside of a place like Carter's, Gruhn's, Gryphon, Elderly, etc. you'll never walk into a shop and find a few different octave mandolins to try out.

So demand for these "big" mando's is small and offerings are subsequently few. In octave mandolins you basically have the A style (Trinity College, Hora, Gold Tone, Weber, custom builders and now Eastman), the F style (Weber and custom builders), and guitar-bodied octave mandolins (GBOM's). The latter include Northfield, some amazing one-man shops (Austin Clark, Andrew Mowry, Fletcher Brock) and a whole bunch of DIY conversions of guitars, specifically older arch top guitars.

There were some pretty forgettable entry level OM's by Johnson, Michael Kelly and similar budget asian imports. I bought one years ago - I still have it but never play it since I got my 21-1/2 Cricket Fiddle (Tom TJ Jessen) F4 style OM. TJ also makes A style and GBOM's. I have no business/financial affiliation, but I really like TJ's instruments and have bought 5 over the years. IMO his OM's sound and play as well as Weber's for less than half the cost. That's why my Michael Kelly OM lives in the closet.

So basically you have the entry level OM's, the Eastman and Gold Tone, some unknown to most but affordable builders like TJ, and then you're in the multi thousand dollar instruments which include Northfield, Weber, Joe Mendel, Clark, Mowry, Brock, Nigel Forster, Graham Macdonald, etc.

Resist the urge to go cheap. The low budget starter models don't sound good, and are nearly impossible to sell for anything but a substantial loss when/if you eventually upgrade. I'd say if experience with the Eastman has you wanting to move up and you don't want to go the guitar conversion route, save up around $ 1,500 - $3,500 for a used Mendel, Petersen, Jessen, Fylde, Forster, etc. (or $ 3,000 to $ 8,000 new) for the next level (Northfield, Weber, custom build). There isn't anything I'm aware of in between.
Thanks, Bart. Those Cricket Fiddle instruments look very cool and I may need to reach out.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Gryphon sometimes have flat top octaves by niche builders, and do order a Northfield or three every year. Those Northfields are very good, but pricey.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 12-29-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

I forgot about Pono. They make an octave, but it is akin to a flat top mandolin. I think Hawaii Music Supply has them. I'd rather have the arch top tone, but Ponos are well made. The Mandolin Store might carry them too.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments