The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Default Bach almost conquered on the Guitar - Chaconne by John Feeley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNEnzNHTkd8#t=17

Breathtaking.

Website
|
Downloads | Youtube | Soundcloud
Guitars : Yairi CY118 │ Maton M225 │ Taylor GC11
Recording│Sony SX712Sound Forge | Sony Vegas
Old 04-16-2014, 03:26 PM

The Chaconne in D Minor has long been one of my candidates for greatest piece of music of all time, which I think is a widely-shared opinion.

To play it that well and cleanly on a classical guitar is **** near impossible. I really think if there is one piece of music I wish I could play, this would be the one. Sadly I could never do it justice.

Thanks for posting!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM

That was truly astounding.

I normally don't love Bach on the guitar...but this is just insanely great!
Old 04-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for posting. Very, very impressive.

Dave
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

He did very well. I used to play this piece in my classical guitar days. It is one of my favorites.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-17-2014, 07:40 AM

IMHO John Feeley does a terrific job of this massive masterpiece. I do find his tempo feels a bit rushed at times, particularly compared to Yehudi Menuhin (14 minutes and change) or Vengerov's 15 minute version. Even Segovia usually clocked in with this piece at about 14 minutes. This is, however; more of an observation than a criticism. Feeley makes it work and the bariolage variation is wonderfully rendered. At the end of the day its a straight ahead "Bravo" from me.
Like Rick, this piece played a significant part in my past. I transcribed and performed the entire Partita (BWV 1004) for my graduation recital at the University of Toronto.
I found the hardest piece in the suite to be the Gigue, not the Ciaccona which, unlike the Gigue, sits fairly naturally on the guitar. My instructor, who will remain nameless here, insisted I play the Gigue as a true Allegro despite the fact that even Manuel Barrueco plays it as more of an Andante. I graduated just fine so its all water under the bridge but an interesting object lesson in the importance of capturing the essence of a piece without being slavish to the original. Thanks, Steve, for the OP.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 AM

All I can say is WOW! He is very good. His guitar really sounds nice too. If someone listens to this and doesn't like classical guitar - something's wrong!
Awesome. Thanks for sharing Steve!
Ed

Hoffman L-00 w JJB
Kronbauer TDK w K&K
Martin OM-35 w K&K
Gibsons: J-150 w Fishman, CL-35 w JJB, Hummingbird w JJB, Les Paul Custom
Crafter TM-035 w JJB
Recording King ROS-647 w JJB
Voyage-Air OM-04, Washburn Red Rocker
Amps: Crate 2x12, Peaveys, LoudBox Artist
Pickups: JJB & K&K Mini
Callaway Big Bertha Clubs
Old 04-17-2014, 12:34 PM

wow, such a flawless rendition, thanks for sharing.

Kenny Hill Estudio 650

https://soundcloud.com/viable-to-stray
Old 04-17-2014, 03:28 PM

this has long been one of my favorite bach videos. very masterful. it stuns me to think of anyone playing it so well live, and i heard john williams play it live in person. i also really like my pepe romero cd. i'm very impressed that a couple of you have worked through this piece. i believe a few have called it the greatest piece of music ever written. i love it all, but am always especially moved by the gentle part when it switches to d major.

Last edited by mc1; 04-17-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
this has long been one of my favorite bach videos. very masterful. it stuns me to think of anyone playing it so well live, and i heard john williams play it live in person. i also really like my pepe romero cd. i'm very impressed that a couple of you have worked through this piece. i believe a few have called it the greatest piece of music ever written. i love it all, but am always especially moved by the gentle part when it switches to d major.
I agree wholeheartedly with the view that the Ciaccona from BWV 1004 is one of the greatest musical compositions of all time, along with Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and the Bach Bible, The Well-Tempered Clavier. I also believe that this piece is one of the greatest artistic achievements of all time. In this Ciaccona Bach explores every conceivable way of getting from I to V while building a musical monument of gigantic architectural proportions - all for an instrument with 4 strings. Mind blowing, really!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with the view that the Ciaccona from BWV 1004 is one of the greatest musical compositions of all time, along with Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and the Bach Bible, The Well-Tempered Clavier. I also believe that this piece is one of the greatest artistic achievements of all time. In this Ciaccona Bach explores every conceivable way of getting from I to V while building a musical monument of gigantic architectural proportions - all for an instrument with 4 strings. Mind blowing, really!!!
i can't believe the feeling it must be to play through it. such a great, humble, and powerful piece. mind blowing, indeed!

my personal feeling is that it is even better upon 6 strings. love to hear those basses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical