The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 05:54 AM
Charter Member

Default Kronbauer Owners talk to me!

I have never played one of these guitars but would like too. Can you tell me what it is you like about them. What makes it different or special compared to other guitars you own or have owned?
Thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Default Tried one

I don't own one, but have tried one in a guitar store. I found a beautiful mahogany back, Alaskan cedar top, maple neck Kronbauer mini-jumbo with an L R Baggs Anthem pickup. It was so well-built and attractive that I really wanted it to sound good, but it didn't have the sound I like. It was too "sweet" sounding for want of a better term. I ended up buying a used Gibson J-45 with a lot more grit. If you like a Taylor-like sound this one would be ideal. Of course the particular combination of woods, especially the cedar top, might explain what I heard.
Dick
Old 04-16-2014, 09:13 AM

Default How To Put This

I have a very nice 2006 Kronbauer MJ that I bought used a couple of years ago and its my go to guitar now for the following reasons:
1) Just has great balance between the highs and lows
2) Plenty of bass
3) Lots of good volume
4) Easy to play
5) Works great as a finger picker or strummer ( can play soft or hard )
6) No buzzing during cold weather nor hot
7) great looks

And the only way this one will ever get away is when its my time to play somewhere else.
Don't know what else to tell you other then if you find one you may never let it go, but also like all things it depends on what you like in a guitar this one just works great for me playing alternative and old acoustic rock and some of my own. ship
Old 04-16-2014, 02:36 PM

I have two Kronbauers, a rosewood/cedar MJ ans a koa/sitka SB (OM), and I agree with everything Ship said. A Kronbauer is very well balanced (think Larrivee) but rich with harmonic overtones (think Santa Cruz). sweet sounding, responsive to a light touch with good volume but can handle hard strumming. The other poster is also correct, it does not sound "gritty" like a Gibson. Only a Gibson sounds like a Gibson, but it has more tonal character than a Taylor (my opinion).

His guitars are extremely well built, light, and a joy to play. If you like Santa Cruz guitars, you will probably like Kronbauer.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickbarbour View Post
I don't own one, but have tried one in a guitar store. I found a beautiful mahogany back, Alaskan cedar top, maple neck Kronbauer mini-jumbo with an L R Baggs Anthem pickup. It was so well-built and attractive that I really wanted it to sound good, but it didn't have the sound I like. It was too "sweet" sounding for want of a better term. I ended up buying a used Gibson J-45 with a lot more grit. If you like a Taylor-like sound this one would be ideal. Of course the particular combination of woods, especially the cedar top, might explain what I heard.
Dick
If that's a used one, believe it may be the same guitar I made an inquiry about a while back. I was wondering what year it was made. The response indicated that they did not know, but would contact Trevor to ask. Never heard back though.
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248
Old 04-16-2014, 03:26 PM

Mine is a Walnut/Italian Kroni Small Body. Kind of unusual shape, with the approximate dimensions of an OM lower bout and a 00 upper bout, I find the shape attractive. Light, responsive with a woody tone to it. Clean sounding with great highs and surprising full lows, well balanced and quite versatile, handles different styles well. A comfortable 12 fret with a shallow C shaped neck and a nicely shaped body, yes I do like mine allot. Well built and elegant, here's a pic.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM
Musical minimalist

Nicely built and sounding instruments - both that I've had were 1 3/4 nuts, but the actual string spacing at the nut, because of the way the fret ends are finished, is closer to a typical 1 11/16 spacing (about 1 7/16) and too narrow for me.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 AM

+1 to what Amarc and Ship wrote.
Mine is a terrific specimen - it sings all the way up the fretboard, is very playable with a fat slightly V-shaped neck. It vibrates through the neck like no other guitar I've ever played.

The bass is strong and other frequencies are equally ballanced, great note seperation and fundamental notes well defined.

Trevor's combination of woods used compliment each other and the Sitka top is the most beautiful displaying lots of medular rays (silking) - a sign of perfect quartering. I particularly like the look of the mahogany fretboard binding that matches the colour of the neck and the toffee-coloured tuner buttons.

Intonation on mine is very good without any compensation of the bone saddle.
The string-pull on the head-stock is reasonbly straight to ensure acurate tuning and the Gotoh tuners are acurate and the ratio is efficient.

The finish is excellent and it smells like maple syrup - what a delight everytime I open the case...

Mine is a keeper and if shipping to my shores were cheaper, I'd probably have a small body "Kronie" too.
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand

Last edited by Cazon; 04-17-2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 PM

Got a Kronbauer MJ about 2 years ago - all rosewood back, sides and top - mahogany neck.
Great balanced sound and a treat to play and is a beauty just hanging on the wall.
Trevor is a great guy to deal with and stands behind his work. I am working on custom design with him right now - will post progress when the time is right...
Old 06-10-2014, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

I had a small body model once...some kind of mahogany with a Sitka top. It was probably the loudest small guitars I've ever played with a great woody sound and well balanced.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 06-10-2014, 03:40 PM

Talk to the nice folks at the Podium, formerly Guitar Rodeo, they sell new ones. Prices are great for the quality, a real value. Small batch and one builder I think.
http://www.guitarrodeo.com/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion