The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2013, 04:31 PM

Default pedal order?

I'm sure this has been asked 100 times. Just got a pedal board and just getting back to electric playing ... have 5 effects pedals. Compression, distortion, reverb, delay and looper. What would be the optimum order on a pedal board? Thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:06 PM

My logic would be looper, delay and reverb. That way, each subsequent and diminishing repeat of the delay drives the reverb naturally, and each repeat of the looper drives the delay naturally.

As to the compression/distortion, I'd recommend trying each way and seeing how it sounds to you. I believe Trey from Phish puts the compression after the distortion. I believe David Gilmour puts compression before and after. I could be incorrect, but trying each way would be advisable.

Good Luck, BTF.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:53 PM

Thanks much BTF ... makes sense on those first three and experimentation is probably the only way after that.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 PM

My pleasure, Danzo! If it's any help, the more popular order would be to put the compressor first as it will help keep the guitar sustaining. I don't know much about Phish, I only found that bit on Trey while doing some research on Ross pedals.

Good Luck! Bill.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:39 PM

Check this out: http://www.bossus.com/boss_users_gro...ArticleId=1322
Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM

That's a good reference, guitom!

I like to do quite a lot of Fripp and Gilmour-ish ambient work. On Boss' reference they put the looper last with the explanation that it records the entire "sound" passage (i.e. instrument and effect) and repeats that. I find the problem with that is that it "freezes" the reverb and delay at a certain point, in other words they stop being ambient effects and become mere samples.

BUT, by putting the looper early, but post-distortion, the looper samples my instrument passage and the ambient effects then process that sample differently depending on how I accompany it with my guitar. The reverb will sound different if I play in unison with the sample, or chord against it, or whatever I decide to do. That way, the sound differs slightly and is more organic with each passage of the sample.

Just offering. Regards, Bill.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:42 AM

Appreciate all responses. The Boss write up is cool as it explains it logically. I'll try a few different ways to go about the chaining. Just looking for a couple good tones for particular tunes. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification