The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 AM

a thread from yesterday -
12 fret vs. 14 fret
all your answers
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=284740
Old 02-21-2013, 10:06 AM

Oops - thanks Geordie. Didnt see that thread.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Guest 1928

Yes, that thread covers a lot of ground and please note that there are different approaches to making a 12 fret guitar. Martin 12 fret guitars use a different body shape. That changes the feel and structure in several ways. Some other makers use the same body shape and simply move the bridge and bracing. That changes the feel and structure in different ways than the Martin approach. Neither is right or wrong, but you need to know the differences in order to make reasonable comparisons.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Todd - the Recording King 12 frets use 000 body and 25.4 scale length
Old 02-21-2013, 10:56 AM

Some people think 12-fretters sound "different".

I personally think every guitar sounds "different" and make no generalization about 12 versus 14-fretters.

If you like the looks and don't need the upper frets, forget the endless and boring debates of difference in sound and just go for it.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Default 12 fret

I recently bought the Wechter TO-8418.
It is a very nice all solid wood guitar.
This guitar is more expensive than the Recording King, but having played both i feel that it is well worth the difference.
As far as the whole "12 Fret" thing goes, i can hear a destinct tonal difference from the standard 14 fret configuration.
I have played the recording King 12 fret all solid wood mahogany/spruce, the breedlove 12 frets, a Martin 12 fret and a Tippton 12 Fret, and of course the Wechter 12 frets. To me they do have a different tone, which i love.
Plus im a sucker for the slotted head stock.

Good luck with your purchase.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Advantage:

Tone (subjective, but I think the lower placement of the bridge makes a difference.);
Comfort - a shorter reach for open chords;
Appearance - this works on a small body with a slot head. 12 Fret dreadnoughts, on the other hand, looked deformed. That said the D-18vs is a fabulous guitar in spite of its ugliness.

Disadvantage:

Acess to higher frets. 10th - 15th+ frets are harder to play because the body gets in the way. The larger your hands the bigger your problem. Put a capo on it and the shortage of real estate can get very challenging.

I haven't played either of the two you're considering, but I've bought three and still have two 12 frets over the past few years. I found that I needed a cutaway, so I sold the first 12 fret I bought because it didn't have one.

If you're not sure about getting one, put a capo on the 2nd fret of a 14 fretter and play it for a week. If it doesn't bother your then I can't see any downside to buying one.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:51 PM

The question seems to come down to two things---
1) the access to the upper notes
2) is the there really a tonal difference?

First--I dont play up that high generally so its not a problem for me, and when it is, I reach for a 14 fret.
Second--I say YES. I hear the deeper, richer tones of the longer body 12 fret models.
I am in the unique position to have both...Martin 000-18GE 12 fret and 14 fret.
They are both wonderful. I reach for the 12 when I want to play a fingerpicked ballad, and the 14 when playing a more upbeat song.
Just how I tend to do it.

Please dont ask me to choose, but if I could have only one guitar? I'd pick a 12 fret. Not because its better, its what I prefer.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZeus View Post
I think that they just sound better and play better...
particularly if they are built with a slot head and a short scale.
I will echo these sentiments!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Buck View Post
If you're not sure about getting one, put a capo on the 2nd fret of a 14 fretter and play it for a week. If it doesn't bother your then I can't see any downside to buying one.
Nice tip...thanks!

sleepy

"The road of life is rocky and you may stumble too. So while you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley
Old 02-22-2013, 12:03 PM

Wink

[QUOTE=Randers;3366606]Essentially, I am looking at the Santa Cruz 1929 OOO but I have never played a 12 fretter. I am used to short scales (J-45) so that is not my concern. My concern is if I will like 12 frets. Has anyone here found the transition difficult? What really is the main difference between the two other than the 2 additional frets. Thanks!

I tried 12 frets and found it to confining. Ended up selling. With 14 you can always capo at the 2nd fret if you need too.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM

Cutaway and you will never know the difference except in how much longer you can play at a time.

Less stretch and more comfort.

(Unless of course you can dunk----standing still, and I don't mean donuts)
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZeus View Post
I think that they just sound better and play better...
particularly if they are built with a slot head and a short scale.
Agree,
There is something special about a 12 fret slothead. Mostly found in small sized guitars like parlor and 0, 00, the slothead has mojo.
My ideal guitar is a short scale OM slothead 12 fret cutawy.

Blues
Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
i'm a sucker for the sound of a good 12 fretter, and i liked the sound of the 1929s in 0, 00 and 000. a cutaway would have been nice, but they're pretty sweet guitars.
OK, newbie question, but since we're on the topic, I hope I'll be forgiven:

If the difference between a 12- and a 14-fret guitar is where the neck meets the body and nothing else, why would they sound different?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
OK, newbie question, but since we're on the topic, I hope I'll be forgiven:

If the difference between a 12- and a 14-fret guitar is where the neck meets the body and nothing else, why would they sound different?
Because they move the bridge more towards the middle of the lower bout, which usually gives a fuller sound. Check out these photos of the new Rainsong parlor guitars (note this was two photos, so not perfectly sized):

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion