The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM

GS Mini. That little thing leaves a bunch of full-size dreadnoughts in the dust.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

I think it was the first time I played a Goodall (parlor) and a Taylor (GS) back-to-back. Somehow, the parlor had a bigger sound.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
I think it was the first time I played a Goodall (parlor) and a Taylor (GS) back-to-back. Somehow, the parlor had a bigger sound.
A Goodall parlor was also one of my biggest surprises. I had one in Macassar and Port Oxford Cedar that just never quite did it for me. I loved the play and look but couldn't quite love the tone. I Love my Goodall KGCC and the other day played a Ziricote that was one of the best sounding guitars I have ever played. I went back a week later to do a trade and purchase but it was gone. It just goes to show how individual tone preference can be. I am sure the other two owners of my Stehr didn't love it like I do or they wouldn't have sold it. Atleast I hope that was the reason and not that they really needed the money.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmile View Post
How do you like your cole clark? I know they sound great plugged in but what does it sound like unplugged?
Sounds better as it ages a little. Absolutely excellent plugged in
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullsmile View Post
I am sure the other two owners of my Stehr didn't love it like I do or they wouldn't have sold it.
Yeah, I think that's one of the really cool things about guitars, some of them just work so much better for some players over others. I used to own a Goodal KCJC and I found that my style of playing had me fighting to make it sound the way I wanted. The friend of mine who has it now wields it effortlessly.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Yeah, I think that's one of the really cool things about guitars, some of them just work so much better for some players over others. I used to own a Goodal KCJC and I found that my style of playing had me fighting to make it sound the way I wanted. The friend of mine who has it now wields it effortlessly.
That is what I always find so funny about every one agreeing that a particular guitar is the best ever. A lot of tone comes from the style of whoever is playing it. Some sound best with individual notes played clearly and others only shine when they are really worked roughly with a pick. And again it is all subjective.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 PM

The most surprising sounding guitar I have ever experienced was a Goodall cedar/rosewood concert jumbo. It pretty much floored me. I had no idea that a guitar could even sound like that.

Another surprising guitar was one particularly exceptional Hoffman 00 that sounded simply lovely played softly, but then when played harder sounded like there was a second guitar inside that had been switched on. Just amazing.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Fullsmile,

That is a really cool looking guitar... I can see why you were taken with it. That looks like it would really be fun to play.

I think I was most surprised by the Taylor 12-Fret guitar I bought about a year ago -- nice full-spectrum sound for such a small guitar. And very easy on my arthritic finger joints, which was what I was looking for...

- Glenn
Ditto on my Taylor 12-fret custom - amazes me every time I play it.

Jack
Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

The first Goodall I ever played really blew me away. It stood out in a roomful of great guitars. Other Goodalls have sounded just as good but after the first one, I was expecting the rich, full tone. The other big surprise has been the Huss & Dalton 00s. They have a much bigger voice than their size suggests. Turns out, they're H&D's best-selling guitars. I completely understand why.

I've played lots of other really nice guitars but the Goodall and H&D 00s are the ones that really caught me off guard, in a good way.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:35 PM

Takamine TF360SBG...it has totally changed my mind about Taks..the quality really does compare with the higher end Taylors and Martins [I have owned several of both] playablity is butter smooth, and the acoustic sound is really unlike any Takamine I have ever played..big,full, with a bass you feel in your ribgage when you play it. They said they designed it to sound like the older Martins, and I believe it. The cool tube pre-amp is as good or better than anything I have used. Really love the dial-in tube sound!
Old 04-24-2012, 04:43 PM

A Breedlove crossover, Passport N200/CMP. I took the chance and bombed. Bone dry sound, whatever nylon brand I put on it. Now with a set of nickel wounds/lights it is one proud sounding guitar. (Tuned to open G, and half stepped down in addition, so little risk for it to fold in on itself.) I'd never recommend it as a nylon stringer, but otherwise...
Old 04-24-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
A Breedlove crossover, Passport N200/CMP. I took the chance and bombed. Bone dry sound, whatever nylon brand I put on it. Now with a set of nickel wounds/lights it is one proud sounding guitar. (Tuned to open G, and half stepped down in addition, so little risk for it to fold in on itself.) I'd never recommend it as a nylon stringer, but otherwise...
This is probably the most interesting post so far including mine. Kind of cool. I guess the crossover didn't quite cross.
Old 04-24-2012, 05:05 PM

The Yamaha FG 730S which has been the best ive tried out

and so i bought this guitar which for the money's worth is better

than many other more expensive guitars id say that i tried out
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM

Stanford PSD20 and PSRD20.
Not small bodied in size and for SURE not small bodied in tone.
I havent owned any Martins but have tried plenty. I dunno man...the Stanfords pack a WALLOP!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
The first Goodall I ever played really blew me away. It stood out in a roomful of great guitars. Other Goodalls have sounded just as good but after the first one, I was expecting the rich, full tone. The other big surprise has been the Huss & Dalton 00s. They have a much bigger voice than their size suggests. Turns out, they're H&D's best-selling guitars. I completely understand why.

I've played lots of other really nice guitars but the Goodall and H&D 00s are the ones that really caught me off guard, in a good way.
I have been playing a Goodall for 3 years now. I still appreciate it as a great guitar every time I sit down with it. But it has become more or less a standard experience for me now, and I sort of forget sometimes that not all guitars sound like this.

That is, until I try out other guitars in shops and find that most of them let me down (I do still LOVE good quality Martins when I play them in shops though, and I also routinely play a Martin 000-15 and a nice classical at home, but those are pretty darn nice sounding guitars too).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion