The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-02-2024, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Jam circle etiquette, lyrics, etc.

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in the play and write section. Please move if deemed appropriate.

I have been involved with a number of players circles and jams over the years and I know that they all vary significantly in how they are arranged. For those people who attend these regularly, when it's your time to "lead" do you have any assistance with lyrics, and if so, what do you use? I have seen a few people use music stands and printed lyrics in a folder, but that can detract from the situation as people will have a blocked view of chord changes. I would think a tablet would be similar and you would also run the risk of it being knocked over.

I realize memorizing the lyrics is the best option. But for those who DON'T have them memorized, what do you use in these situations?
Old 04-02-2024, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

I've seen people use printed lyrics, and I've seen people read lyrics off their phone. Both can work fine - the important thing seems to be to keep the lyrics flat on the floor or on a table, not on a music stand that blocks your hands or face. Keep it as low profile as possible.

This works for a casual jam where people are seated in a circle by the way - at a more "formal" bluegrass jam where players are up on stage at a bar or restaurant, like we have here in NYC, I'd say lyrics are generally a no-no. Mostly thats because having lyrics makes a lot more to deal with when you have players moving around in and out of mic range, balancing with each other, you don't need to have somebody dodging a music stand as well.
Old 04-02-2024, 06:09 PM

I've been attending jams/song circles several times a week since 2008. I've seen the gamut of memory aids:

1. Songbook on a music stand
2. Large print songbook or sheet on the floor
3. Tablet/phone
4. Projected up on a screen or wall
5. No memory aid allowed - play from memory

Singing and playing from memory is by far the best. As pointed out, a notebook or tablet right in front of the player makes it harder to get visual cues for breaks, chord changes, repeats, tags, etc.

When you're playing with others the MOST IMPORTANT THING is to listen to the others to stay in tempo, modulate dynamics (don't overpower the singer or lead player), etc. It's pretty well known that our ears follow our eyes. When you have 10 players, all with heads down staring at music/lyric/chord sheets they're not paying attention to each other. I'm sometimes standing there on upright bass keeping a loud steady rhythm for no one but myself.

If you just need something have it positioned so you still have a clear view of the other players (and they of you).

The jams where we don't use memory aids are the best rhythmically and sonically. The leads, fills and harmonies are better. I encourage limited use of any memory aid - think of it more as a safety net to refer to only when needed as opposed to unalterable fixed instructions that must be strictly adhered to.

Memory needs to be practiced and exercised too.

Steve Forbert - As We Live and Breathe
Old 04-03-2024, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

If you use a small folding music stand and keep it low, it really doesn't block much.

It's those large, solid, conductors stands that block out everything. Also, when you introduce your song give the key and explain the chords. Everyone won't get it all, but it gives people a place to start.

I go to a few jam/song circles. At one of them everyone is always doing new songs and sometimes the leader doesn't have a good grip on the song. At another, people do a lot of the same songs all the time. Everyone gets to know the songs, and their parts, and it really ends up being a better jam.

And most importantly to anyone reading this who doesn't get out to play with others. Get out there, force yourself. Even if it's difficult to get yourself started, it will be the best thing you can do for your playing. And you might just have a really great time.
Old 04-03-2024, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Also, when you introduce your song give the key and explain the chords. Everyone won't get it all, but it gives people a place to start.
This is essential when introducing a new song to a jam group that doesn't use memory aids. I'll add that if you are introducing a new song and are playing it off a chord or lyric sheet, bring copies for everyone else too.

Quote:
.. sometimes the leader doesn't have a good grip on the song.
I've seen this a lot too. So often that we usually invoke a (strong) suggestion that at least one person at the jam has to know the song before we all attempt it. And if the person introducing the song doesn't know it well enough to lead it they can't get bent out of shape when someone else who does know it steps up to lead.

Quote:
And most importantly to anyone reading this who doesn't get out to play with others. Get out there, force yourself. Even if it's difficult to get yourself started, it will be the best thing you can do for your playing. And you might just have a really great time.

THIS 100%!

Old 04-03-2024, 05:14 AM

Quote:
If you use a small folding music stand and keep it low, it really doesn't block much.

It's those large, solid, conductors stands that block out everything. Also, when you introduce your song give the key and explain the chords. Everyone won't get it all, but it gives people a place to start.

I go to a few jam/song circles. At one of them everyone is always doing new songs and sometimes the leader doesn't have a good grip on the song. At another, people do a lot of the same songs all the time. Everyone gets to know the songs, and their parts, and it really ends up being a better jam.

All good advice. As for myself, I use the old-fashioned piece o' paper.

D.H.
Old 04-03-2024, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

In the jams that I go to it is a mix. One guy who is a long time regular brings a stand and a three ring binder. He's a pretty good player. The other night I attended a monthly jam and a couple players brought stands. It does not bother me, I'm not offended by it. Nor do I look down on it. Whatever works. As much as the rest of us like to think we can just pick up songs on the fly and play them by ear, between songs there are lots of peeks at tablets or phones, and sometimes someone will just give up and pull out the tablet to play off it. Most of the time though it is just to take a quick look at the song to refresh one's memory and that's it. I do that a lot, just take a look before I do a song, make sure I'm starting off in the right key.

I used to go to ukulele jams, more strum-a-longs, and they always played out of a book. In fact, most every jam was out of the "yellow book" or the "blue book."

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-03-2024, 08:00 AM

I have a "cut down" stand with an attached vocal mic. It can be adjusted to a low angle and doesn't obscure the line of sight much. Something like that could be used at a group jam to provide a vocal mic and lyrics help for whoever needed it next.

Old 04-03-2024, 08:07 AM

Quote:
what do you use in these situations?
At one jam I attend everyone uses phones. A few have a single-post stand with a small phone holder.

In my case, I can no longer see lyrics on a phone, but I'm an old guy so I've memorized a bunch of songs.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:45 AM

I attend a weekly bluegrass jam where music stands are not the norm. For some songs that I lead, I tape a small cheat sheets onto the upper bout of my guitar in case I forget the lyrics while I am singing. I place 3 cheat cheats on top of each other so as I am done with the first song, I remove the top cheat sheet to reveal the next one. No one sees me looking down at my guitar, so it makes me look like a pro.

But as others have said, it is always best to memorize the song.
Old 04-03-2024, 08:55 AM

I never take song sheets or notebooks or a tablet. I only play songs I know.

I've been in a few circles with people who simply didn't know any songs and relied on reading something in front of them. The best thing when that happens is just encourage them and tell them that was great when they're done.

At the end of those jams, I've tried suggesting that they learn the song, but they never did, so I stopped. It seems some people are only happy if they can read while they play.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:48 AM

I know it's easy to look upon other players and not understand the need to "read something while they play", but life doesn't work like that.

I've been playing for 60 years (and gigging for almost that long) and do not have the lyrics memorization gene.

Thanks to the net I know I'm not alone, and some well known performers use printed lyrics sheets or now the more commonly used confidence monitors. Perhaps a bit of exaggeration, but Lucinda Williams related while performing that almost everyone uses lyrics aids. Many other performers aren't shy about admitting that, either.

I guess if it's OK with them I don't see where it should be a big deal for a song circle or jam situation.

What you don't see at a concert:

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-04-2024 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2024, 11:06 AM

nothing wrong with using lyrics...i can only remember a line or two of tunes i did for 40 or 50 years...i don't go to jams/circles whatever they're called, 2 guitars are fine but can't take 3-4-5-6 guitars banging away on the same chords
Old 04-03-2024, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
nothing wrong with using lyrics...i can only remember a line or two of tunes i did for 40 or 50 years...i don't go to jams/circles whatever they're called, 2 guitars are fine but can't take 3-4-5-6 guitars banging away on the same chords
This is where a little planning and teaching can help.

1. Lyrics/sheet music/chord charts are necessary for many. The key IMO is how they're used. For most performers they're a safety net or guard rail. Lucinda Williams doesn't spend her whole show staring at the teleprompter disguised as a floor wedge. When these are a crutch that one cannot tear their attention from, as I posted earlier, it prevents musical cohesion. Everyone is playing separately in the same room. Even in my orchestra days we didn't keep our eyes glued on the score. We were paying attention to the conductor and soloists.

2. If the jam has multiple guitars (or fiddles, or banjos, or mandolins) the key is for each player to find a complimentary role - play an octave higher or lower, play harmony or counterpoint, etc. At our mostly beginner/intermediocre mostly guitar jam we cover pointers like trying different chord inversions, or capo up to a different range, or partial chords, etc. Not talking full blown lessons, just a quick explanation and demo of new things for them to try.

Old 04-03-2024, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

The worst is when people hand out song sheets to everyone there. It stops every and you lose your momentum. Then everyone is just reading their sheet and not paying attention to the leader. Then at the end, you've got all these song sheets that nobody wants that just go in the recycling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write