The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 02:46 PM

Default New Acoustic Guitars with Electronics under $1500 CAD all-in (*pls see criteria)

Please read before posting:

- I added used guitars to the criteria (but I insist on testing in-person with my expert buddy and there isn't much in Montreal these days ) :
- $1500 CAD max all-in (and closer to the max then down below $1000 unless it really deserves to be there)
- specific models only please
- with good to great electronics
- no mini, travel, parlour, 00, or jumbo
- 12 or 14 fret ok
- not too bright or too bassy
- cutaway or not
- any wood mix
- no black or sunburst or other colours
- no hybrid, crossover, novelty guitars
- mainly for finger picking/strumming in folk, country, soul format

* Yes, I have tested out several guitars in several local stores and still looking for suggestions
* No I'm not looking for boutique guitars (but nothing against)
* And if you feel to, please share why it stands out for you in the pack
* Some like the challenge and specificity of detailed requests, others don't (can't please em' all : )

Thanks in advance

Last edited by microscope; 11-25-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:16 PM

Default Norman ST 40

I would encourage you to try a Norman ST 40
http://www.normanguitars.com/st40.html

I have an older one that I like very much. Mine was built with laminated back and sides, but the current models are all solid: cedar over mahogany.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdog View Post
I would encourage you to try a Norman ST 40
http://www.normanguitars.com/st40.html

I have an older one that I like very much. Mine was built with laminated back and sides, but the current models are all solid: cedar over mahogany.
With the electronics option it's right there in the zone. Would you say Norman is up there with Martin, Taylor and others? thx

Last edited by microscope; 11-25-2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:13 PM

Electronics are very subjective. I don’t much like pickups. Too bright or too bassy is also subjective. Could be looking at a used Taylor 314 or a used Gibson j15. Js are often pretty balanced. My 314 is pretty balanced, but I consider it a bit scooped.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 11-24-2017, 06:07 PM

There are some Martins that can be had for that price. I would also check the Eastman's (the 12th fret in Toronto) and the Alvarez Masterworks.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:03 PM

Yamaha A3 anything (A3R, AC3R, A3M, AC3M). Great electronics, great sound, torrefied top, new scalloped bracing sounds great. Oh yeah, and all solid woods with a very comfy neck profile.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
There are some Martins that can be had for that price. I would also check the Eastman's (the 12th fret in Toronto) and the Alvarez Masterworks.
What Martin models in particular? Alvarez Masterworks looks interesting. thx
Old 11-25-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
Electronics are very subjective. I don’t much like pickups. Too bright or too bassy is also subjective. Could be looking at a used Taylor 314 or a used Gibson j15. Js are often pretty balanced. My 314 is pretty balanced, but I consider it a bit scooped.
It's true it is subjective. Any new model suggestions to add to the list? thx
Old 11-25-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microscope View Post
With the electronics option it's right there in the zone. Would you say Norman is up there with Martin, Taylor and others? thx
No.

Normans are great guitars. Really great bang for buck. But, their guitars are not on par with Martins or Taylors. Different category of guitar.

I can echo a previous poster who suggested a Norman ST-40. I used to own one and it was an excellent instrument.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:22 AM

Ok I've added used guitars to the criteria.
Problem is I will only buy used locally in the Montreal area, with the help of an expert buddy, where we can see it and examine it and play it.
And there is very little of the good stuff in my price range - whatever does show up gets bought immediately and I know a lot of good stuff just gets sold through friends (not unlike the real estate market : )

Last edited by microscope; 11-25-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quebec Picker View Post
No.

Normans are great guitars. Really great bang for buck. But, their guitars are not on par with Martins or Taylors. Different category of guitar.

I can echo a previous poster who suggested a Norman ST-40. I used to own one and it was an excellent instrument.
Quote:
I'm confused. If you don't think Norman is up there with Martin and Taylor and others, and you see that my budget is up at $1500 CAD, why double down on the Norman suggestion?
I would say Normans are good or decent guitars. A dealer explained the difference to me between a Norman and the comparable model in a Simon & Patrick (both made by Godin). They are marketed for different price points. They are a little lower on the scale than the better Godin offers.

For $1500.00 you can do way better than a Norman.

For $300-500.00 a Norman can be an excellent choice.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I'm confused. If you don't think Norman is up there with Martin and Taylor and others, and you see that my budget is up at $1500 CAD, why double down on the Norman suggestion?
I was just answering your question of whether Normans are up there with Martins or Taylors. Was also just giving my 2 cents about the ST-40.

I didn't read the whole thread and didn't see that your budget is 1500 bucks. If that's your budget, yeah, get a better guitar. Lots of great options in that budget. I got a Gibson J-15 for 1500 CAD and I love it.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:53 AM

Martin has several models that fit this criteria, including the GPCRSG for $1299 at Sweetwater and other retailers, and the OMCPA4 at $1499. Both are great guitars for the price with decent electronics .
1986 Squire Fat Strat (Korean)
2004 Gibson Les Paul Classic
2007 Fender Standard Stratocaster (Mexican Strat)
2010 Guild F-47rc (Purchased in 2012)
2013 Home-made Stratocasters (x2)
2017 Martin GPCRSG
Old 11-25-2017, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjudd View Post
Martin has several models that fit this criteria, including the GPCRSG for $1299 at Sweetwater and other retailers, and the OMCPA4 at $1499. Both are great guitars for the price with decent electronics .
Beauties. But they are both out of my range in Canadian dollars including tax ) :

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic, electronics