The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2017, 06:36 PM

Default what was the longest time you saved for a guitar?

I figure I have to save about 6 mos for my next guitar if I am
fugal enough with my spending
is that about an average time?
david
Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 PM

I guess 0. I already had the money when I bought the guitars. If I had to save for them, they would have been gone. Saved the money before ever seeing the guitar I would want.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:39 PM

You're supposed to save for guitars?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:12 PM

I’m still saving for my Collings and it’s been over 40 years... of course there’s been a few detours in between.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 11-23-2017, 07:17 PM

I guess I've never looked without having the money to be impulsive. On the one occasion that I actually was impulsive, I just spent the money and informed the wife later.....
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 11-23-2017, 07:41 PM

Wife and I are very fortunate. We have a wonderful shop about an hour from where we live. (Earle Teat Music in Dover, DE) He has a wonderful lay-away policy that has made it so we could get some of our awesome guitars and not be in debt. $25 down and a payment every month and paid in full within 12 months. So, to answer your question . . . my most loved guitar is a Martin OMCPA1+ and it took me 17 months. (We buy enough there that he works with us - I told him up front I would need longer than a year.) Wife took 14 months for her Taylor Fall LTD 514 CE Tasmanian blackwood. Works out good for him because it seemed every month we made a payment we bought something else while we were there. There was a time between the two of use we had four guitars on layaway at one time. He has a humidity and temperature controlled storage area and we would play the guitars each time we went and made a payment. It was hard waiting to get them but when we finally got them they were ours paid in full and we had been playing them once a month while they were on layaway.

Tim
Old 11-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I saved three years for a Les Paul electric in the '70s. It was my first serious electric.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-23-2017, 09:01 PM

Maybe 1 1/2 years back when I was a kid in the 1960s.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 PM

My first Martin (D35) was in 6 installments of $100.00 after the down stroke. It was in 1974 and the guitar was $735.00 out the door new. The store was Woodfield Music in Schaumburg, IL, and the salesman's name was Hercules, who preferred Herc. It took me 6 weeks to get it paid. A construction worker at the time, money was good. Within that first year I also bought a new Guild F412 and Lyle, the owner of Roselle Music, Roselle, IL, let me put $100.00 down on it and take it home that day. I paid installments weekly while it was in my possession. I played the snot out of it while in his store that day so he pretty much got the idea I was smitten by it. It was $799.00 new. After that money always seemed to coincidentally arrive with GAS.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Default what was the longest time you saved for a guitar?

I’m 19 and have been saving up for a 300 series Taylor since my dad purchased one about 12 years ago... so I’ve been dreaming of a Taylor since the age of about 7...

About 8-9 months ago, my goal of $1800 was reached, and I got a beautiful 326ce for $1400 new. She is the first thing I pick up in the morning, and the last thing I put down at night.

Now, I’ve been bitten by the Martin bug.. the ordeal starts over anew.. Good thing I make more now than I did when I was in elementary school!
Old 11-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Sold my Guild D55 for a Martin Custom Shop (00028) back in 2013. Had to come up with more cash. I saved for 2 months to fully pay the price tag.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:34 PM

About a year is the most I've saved for a guitar.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:38 PM

About 2 years. Although my Doerr took only a year in total from when I first was in contact to delivery, I previously had a build fall through with another builder who went out of business. That build process was a year in before it all came crashing to a halt. From there, thankfully, it was off to Tom's build for another year of waiting and planning. In the end, it took the two years to plan and pay for.....no complaints!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-23-2017, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

I save money all the time. That way, when right one comes along, I'm ready.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

I remember anxiously hoping no one would buy my current Beneteau from GuitarGal for almost a whole year I was steadily saving and when I finally got it last fall and took it out of the case I fell in love and I’ve never once thought of parting with it. Though I’ve bought and sold at least 5-7 nice guitars since then for different purposes at different times there’s nothing better than waiting for something exceptional rather than grabbing something that’s just good for money you’ve been sitting on. Currently awaiting a custom Beneteau now that’ll be the same process except I got to pick the woods

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion