The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2017, 02:30 PM

Like John, I have the mid-size Bose L1-S which features a separate bass. It’s also taller and heavier than its smaller sibling, the L1-C and a lot more expensive, especially when paired with the Tonematch T1 preamp, which is a pretty fabulous preamp/effects processor in its own right. Easily play to 250 people outside.

I think the L1-S is overkill most of the time for me, but it sure sounds great regardless of the venue. For smaller gigs I’ve been grabbing my Loudbox mini, which is fine, but would also benefit from a pre-amp. So I’m intrigued by the JBL EON One if only because it looks to have a better preamp than the Bose C. But not in the budget for the foreseeable future. I’d be happy with either of them.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:43 PM

Well, I pulled the trigger on the L1C. Couldn't beat the price. Should have it no later than Friday.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:06 PM

Congrats.. Excellent choice.
Old 11-18-2017, 01:25 PM

Looking to your reviews on this unit.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfsark View Post
Like John, I have the mid-size Bose L1-S which features a separate bass. It’s also taller and heavier than its smaller sibling, the L1-C and a lot more expensive, especially when paired with the Tonematch T1 preamp, which is a pretty fabulous preamp/effects processor in its own right. Easily play to 250 people outside.

I think the L1-S is overkill most of the time for me, but it sure sounds great regardless of the venue. For smaller gigs I’ve been grabbing my Loudbox mini, which is fine, but would also benefit from a pre-amp. So I’m intrigued by the JBL EON One if only because it looks to have a better preamp than the Bose C. But not in the budget for the foreseeable future. I’d be happy with either of them.
If you're looking for something better than the loudbox and smaller than your Bose, look at the HK Lucas Nano 305FX. I have the 608i. I was considering your L1s and decided it was too much for me. The 608i is a perfect fit for me. I can see this handling 150 to 200 people. The 305FX should handle up to 120 people. The 300 is cheaper, and has no effects, but you can use your T1 mixer with it by adding the power adapter. They discontinued the 300 for the 305FX, so dealers are discounting them.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:47 AM

Any reason to think with this 15% off instead of the usual 10% that we might see something new at winter Naam? Anyone have any info?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls24 View Post
Any reason to think with this 15% off instead of the usual 10% that we might see something new at winter Naam? Anyone have any info?
That's my thinking. Likely, Bose products will have Bluetooth connectivity.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-19-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jls24 View Post
I do not equate the 15% off to anything more than normal business. They had the same 15% off deal in the beginning of this year and end of last year. Then the 10% in summer.

This is not to say that an update or new product isn't coming.. It certainly seems that the current line has been out for long time.

I'm really digging the Compact and T1...Bluetooth would be cool. Personally, I have my Laptop or Ipad connected to the T1 (which is running to the L1C).

So I have the benefit of playing and controlling backing tracks or music from my stage area. Without running another cable to the L1C. Plus I get benefit of the T1's preamp to contour the tone of my tracks.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 AM

Doesn't that just grind your gears? You go out and buy what you believe to be the best unit for your needs and a month later they release a newer and better system.
That said, I can't wait to see if they have something new.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:45 AM

They've been making the same clock radio for 30 years.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Talk me into a Bose L1C
You should buy a Bose L1C

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 11-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You should buy a Bose L1C
Fazool get's right to the point .. Just Do it!
Old 11-20-2017, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

The Bose L1c definitely has its place. I have been using mine for 8 years - sold off a larger PA with powered mixer and cabinets with a 15/horn. The "learning curve" with the Bose is about not trying to "blast" the same volume as a larger PA... certainly not its strong point. I have played for groups up to 150 with the L1c - what I would call an attentive audience, not trying to overpower loud crowd noise (corporate events, happy hour or after dinner).

This would not be the system to use in a rowdy bar atmosphere. Knowing that, it is a delight to use: great sound, fast and easy to set up. I did not buy the T-1, but I think you will find you need something more than the onboard controls to EQ. I use a TC Helicon Play Acoustic, and often feed those two lines to a Fishman Loudbox Mini and run a direct line from that to the Bose.

I see that you've ordered the L1c - enjoy the great sound and easy usage!
Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The Bose L1c definitely has its place. I have been using mine for 8 years - sold off a larger PA with powered mixer and cabinets with a 15/horn. The "learning curve" with the Bose is about not trying to "blast" the same volume as a larger PA... certainly not its strong point. I have played for groups up to 150 with the L1c - what I would call an attentive audience, not trying to overpower loud crowd noise (corporate events, happy hour or after dinner)....
I was at a winery yesterday, indoors, where a trio was using the Compact--guitarist/vocalist, keyboard/vocalist, and harmonica player. I may post a photo later because the setup looked like an interesting challenge, with those three crammed in a corner and the Compact on their far right, slightly in front of keyboards guy. I'd say it was cranked too high, though the lead vocalist asked the group sitting directly in front of the column if it was too loud. They said no, I would have said yes. My little group was sitting in the back of the room and it was a little too loud for easy conversation back there. I'm bad with estimates but the room, basically a rectangle, could seat maybe 75-80 and was full at times.

By the way, they were using a decent-sized wedge floor monitor.

I also noticed they weren't using a T1, but did run everything through a mixer. Last of all, I'd say the overall sound was good if not great, but when the lead vocalist switched guitars, guitar #2 was bizarrely bassy anytime his chords emphasized lower strings, and less impressive overall. Aside from that guitar's pickup, I'd wager the group didn't/couldn't dial in the best sound from their setup, and I include "couldn't" because the act had a different lineup than the one advertised (same lead vocal guy, was promoted as part of a different duo). I wondered if something had to be thrown together at the last minute. They were good musicians, btw, I'm just talking about the audio.

No question can that thing fill that room though. Funny thing is we went to another winery afterwards, with an acoustic duo--one vocalist, one guitarist--who were using something like a QSC K10 on a stick in a broadly similar-sized room, and you could barely hear them. Without a doubt they'd dialed it wayyyy down.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:37 AM

I play a local winery often, and I intentionally play at a lower volume than I would in any other room of that size. They're in the business of selling wine. They do that by having tastings, and the potential customers want to talk about wine with the staff. Too loud, and they can't hear each other. My job is to play to the folks at the tables who are enjoying their choice(s), and (hopefully) encourage them to stay for another glass (or bottle!) ... they can hear me well enough.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification