The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-14-2017, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

The OF660 is the PERFECT guitar for the car. Mine lived in there for almost a year in it's neat little back pack. I rarely took it out, just had it there "just in case"...
Old 11-14-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Great news, Earl. Unless I’m mistaken, you’ve been relatively absent from here in the recent past, so it’s good to see you posting. I, for one, look forward to your assessment of your new X20-12.
Yes I have been absent for about a month. I just got burned out on AGF in general, even the CF sub-forum. I have other reasons too, but discussing them publicly would get my account terminated (and just saying that much will probably get this post censored or even deleted outright). Going forward, my participation here will be severely limited, my logons very infrequent, and almost exclusively in the CF room.

My visit today was mostly because the package from Ireland was delivered, otherwise I might never have come back here. I have now played my X20-12 for a half-hour or so. Absolutely flawless workmanship, delivered just when Sean said it would be, and shipping time just one week from Ireland to Idaho -- even including the lost day for Veteran's Day, which slowed clearing US Customs. I might have to do a little minor set-up work (surprisingly) but no big deal. Enough good things cannot be said about Emerald, Alistair and Sean. More details to follow in a separate NGD post and review, when I'm ready. So please stand by.......

Now back on topic, the Journey OF-660 sounds like just the ticket for the OP. Ted at LA Guitar Sales is THE guy to contact, Graeme. And if you ever decide to part with it, selling it used should be easy enough and you won't take too much of a hit in the wallet. CF is a specialty market niche, but a fervent one.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:40 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Yes I have been absent for about a month. I just got burned out on AGF in general, even the CF sub-forum. I have other reasons too, but discussing them publicly would get my account terminated (and just saying that much will probably get this post censored or even deleted outright). Going forward, my participation here will be severely limited, my logons very infrequent, and almost exclusively in the CF room.

My visit today was mostly because the package from Ireland was delivered, otherwise I might never have come back here. I have now played my X20-12 for a half-hour or so. Absolutely flawless workmanship, delivered just when Sean said it would be, and shipping time just one week from Ireland to Idaho -- even including the lost day for Veteran's Day, which slowed clearing US Customs. I might have to do a little minor set-up work (surprisingly) but no big deal. Enough good things cannot be said about Emerald, Alistair and Sean. More details to follow in a separate NGD post and review, when I'm ready. So please stand by.......

Now back on topic, the Journey OF-660 sounds like just the ticket for the OP. Ted at LA Guitar Sales is THE guy to contact, Graeme. And if you ever decide to part with it, selling it used should be easy enough and you won't take too much of a hit in the wallet. CF is a specialty market niche, but a fervent one.
Sorry to learn that you’ve had some less-than-desirable experiences on the forum Earl, but glad that your initial impressions of the X20-12 are good. I look forward to your NGD thread.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I had my Ibanez for about four years. I live in a desert where the temperature will hit 110 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer and down to the low 20s in the winter. The guitar was kept in a room that was not air conditioned and not heated. It held up just fine. A friend bought the guitar and has had it for about 6 years in the same climate--and the guitar is still just fine. Plywood does not split like solid wood and the glues used now-a-days are a far cry from the glues of yesteryear.

Yamaha, Cordoba, and others all make entry level instruments that are pretty sweet and inexpensive and they give you a chance to try different types of guitar without breaking the bank.
My great grandpa decided he wanted me to play guitar when I was a about 12 years old. He sent my grandmother to the store (Sears) to get a guitar. I learned a couple of tunes on it, but it put me off guitar for a really long time. When I was in my 30's I got an Ibanez PF10 that I carried around the world several times and eventually learned how to play. It's still in excellent condition though it has been nearly frozen a few times and roasted or rained on other times. So what I am saying is laminates are tough, but be careful on which one you get because some cheap guitars may make you less inclined to play.

If I were in your shoes I would probably see what deals are being offered by Emerald guitars on their X7s or even X20s depending on how much room you have in the car. My X20 is currently living in a car (long story not for here) and plays great despite the less than perfect living conditions. A laminate would need to be tuned a lot more often if nothing else like its horrible resale value compared to a CF guitar. I think the Journey's are available for sale in Europe, so the OF660 would probably be my first choice though I am not as sure of the set up as I would be with an Emerald because they are mass produced where the Emeralds are sent out nearly perfect.

You might want to also invest some time in watching videos on guitar playing such as justinguitar to help refine your search too. A few early in person lessons may pay huge dividends too. Have fun regardless.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 11-14-2017, 07:02 PM
Guest 928

Earl;

Glad to see you back, look forward to your reports on the new musical wand from Emerald.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard, Seekingcarbon. From my perspective, the phrase "entry level" doesn't apply to guitars like the Emerald X7 or the Journey Of660 - they are outstanding guitars that are compact.

Your reasons for looking at carbon fiber offerings are right on, but there is a "minimum price of entry" for all the CF guitars. Kramster's suggestion to buy one used is right on - if you find you don't care for learning guitar, you won't lose much on used. Yes, that probably means buying something from outside your country and the same with selling if that doesn't pan out.

Here's another consideration: buy a used electric guitar - because they aren't "made light," it may stand up better to the weather range you experience. Most electrics play "easier" than acoustics, so it could be good while you are learning. When you know it is something you want to stay with, save for one of the CF guitars discussed here.

I have played both electric and acoustic for decades - they are different animals, but it is another consideration that might work for your circumstances. This is the first time I have recommended an electric guitar on the AGF, and may be run out of town on a rail, but I am tossing that out as an inexpensive solution to your situation... for the learning process.

Traveler guitars are very compact and can be used with headphones. They make an "acoustic" model (that didn't sound very acoustic to me). Something like that would be compact enough that you should be able to put it under your desk at work (if that applies), and more durable than a nice acoustic.

Good luck with your search. Hang out here, even if you decide to try the electric route, to stay in an "acoustic state of mind."

Captain Jim
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Earl, it is exciting to hear that your Emerald X20-12 has arrived and been "unveiled" - looking forward to photos and your review!

I don't know know the particulars, but I am glad to see you here again! Your presence was missed.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Jim
Old 11-15-2017, 10:03 AM

Thanks for the very kind words, Evan and Jim.

The review will have to wait a bit..... patience, young Grasshopper. It never fails that when a new guitar arrives, and just when I want to spend quality time with it, several projects come alive and my workload suddenly goes from light to crushing. But after a half-hour of initial playing yesterday, it is pretty awesome. BTW, I had to tune one octave string after its trip across the pond. How is that for stability?

Part of my review process will include acquiring and installing the same EJ37 strings that the X20-12 came with on my Taylor 354 and doing some serious A-B tests (and maybe even some other chords too).
Old 11-15-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
....Here's another consideration: buy a used electric guitar - because they aren't "made light," it may stand up better to the weather range you experience. Most electrics play "easier" than acoustics, so it could be good while you are learning. When you know it is something you want to stay with, save for one of the CF guitars discussed here.....
This is a VERY good idea. Compared to any acoustic guitar, solid-body electrics are built like proverbial tanks. PM sent regarding my Traveler Speedster in black, which might be a good option for the OP.
https://travelerguitar.com/speedster-red/
Old 11-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
This is a VERY good idea. Compared to any acoustic guitar, solid-body electrics are built like proverbial tanks. PM sent regarding my Traveler Speedster in black, which might be a good option for the OP.
https://travelerguitar.com/speedster-red/
That Speedster is pretty cool and could be a good option for the OP. I doubt it’s possible, but it would be cool if it could be bluetoothed to the car stereo. Rock n’ Rolllll!
Old 11-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Guest 928

I tried a number of the so called "silent guitars," and found them wanting relative to any acoustic sound. Given the situation described by Seeking I would probably go for the Washburn Rover. The Rover came in both steel and nylon strings and both can be had for about $300. Both Rovers put out pretty good sound for such a small guitar but the big advantage of both is the neck. The steel and nylon string necks are pretty sweet and could help a player determine which was best for the player's inclinations.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
No need to look for the discontinued model, the new CH-PA1100NS is the same guitar with a slightly different look, and a much lower $1299 price point.

---------

Exactly, which is probably why the OP came to the carbon section for advise. Bottom line, you can buy a cheap laminate guitar every few years, or you can buy a CF guitar once and have it for the rest of your life.
I was thinking of roughly the same Rainsong model. It would be first on my list, as an avowed Rainsong owner.

Plus, it would hold value over time, rather than disintegrate due to temperature/humidity exposure. A used CH parlor will retain a lot more value based on those conditions than any sort of laminate or plywood guitar.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:15 PM

I know the Martin "Backpacker" doesn't get a lot of love around here, and having played them a few different times, I'd tend to agree - but they absolutely serve a purpose.

That purpose might be quite compatible with the OP's needs...?

Case in point: I met a guy in a marina in North Carolina over the summer that had a Martin Backpacker. He was up on the bow playing it, so I brought my guitar over to play a bit with him. That Martin had some SERIOUS miles on it! Getting to know him over the course of a few days, I learned that guitar had been backpacking through Europe, spent a couple summers on the beach in Ecuador, traveled through Japan, etc etc.

It is a low cost guitar that might serve the OP well...
Old 11-15-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I was thinking of roughly the same Rainsong model. It would be first on my list, as an avowed Rainsong owner.

Plus, it would hold value over time, rather than disintegrate due to temperature/humidity exposure. A used CH parlor will retain a lot more value based on those conditions than any sort of laminate or plywood guitar.
... and it will sound better!
Old 11-15-2017, 03:05 PM

Hi All,

Thanks again for the suggestions! In the end I think I'm gonna go for the OF660; it should sound and hold value better than any of the wood/laminate guitars that were discussed, and the portability is really important.

I've been in touch with Ted as suggested and he spent quite some time with me on the phone discussing options and it has reaffirmed that the OF660 is a good fit, so thanks also to Ted for that.

Hopefully one day soon I'll be joining you all as a happy new member of the CF family

Cheers!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber guitar