The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-20-2017, 06:25 PM

Here again you got me curious, so I checked out the foot pedal, it seems to give a big boost to the guitar's signal, so when off you can play a rhythm part, and when on, you can stand out and play a lead part. It works the same on both input jacks. Can you adjust it ?? I don't know I haven't got there yet.

The reverb pedal is just a simple reverb on/off switch.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-20-2017, 06:31 PM

Apparently the V22 is an independent two channel amp, one of which is for lead with three adjustments on it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-20-2017, 06:44 PM

From what I can gather....there's two channels, a clean channel and a dirty channel. The clean channel is controlled by the Clean volume knob, the dirty channel, when engaged, is controlled by the Gain and Volume knobs. Both cannels are controlled by the EQ presence and master volume knobs. Reverb can be added to either channel.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-21-2017, 02:53 PM

I received the Bugera extension cabinet today...it really fills the room with sound nicely.....

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-21-2017, 09:57 PM

Is the cab amplified or driven by the V22 only?
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 11-22-2017, 01:50 AM

The cabinet is NOT amplified. It's just a speaker cabinet.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-22-2017, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I received the Bugera extension cabinet today...it really fills the room with sound nicely.....

[IMG][/IMG]
Interesting so it looks as if the extension cab is not as wide as the combo cab , do they make one that is as wide and more visually conducive to stacking ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 11-22-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:38 AM

Not that I know of. This cabinet is basically for a different side of the stage. It's almost like having two amps, because the sound is the same thru both speakers. I like it. It should work great at the one large senior center I play at.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-22-2017, 01:30 PM

I received the Bugera V5 today....It's a nice little amp but doesn't have the same tone as the V22, until I added a MXR 10 band EQ pedal, then it sounded much better. Still not as good as the V22 but useable. It appears to have the same Reverb as the V22. I tried plugging it into the 12" extension cabinet, that helped.

As far as playing goes, my choice would be the V22. It just sounds better.

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 11-22-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I received the Bugera V5 today....It's a nice little amp but doesn't have the same tone as the V22, until I added a MXR 10 band EQ pedal, then it sounded much better. Still not as good as the V22 but useable. It appears to have the same Reverb as the V22. I tried plugging it into the 12" extension cabinet, that helped.

[IMG][/IMG]
Cute little Bugger ha I made a phunny

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-22-2017, 05:11 PM

That might catch on! I am really pleased my new “Bugger” too. Maybe the pronunciation “booger” works better.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S

Last edited by MBDiagMan; 11-24-2017 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
I received the Bugera V5 today...It's a nice little amp but doesn't have the same tone as the V22, until I added a MXR 10 band EQ pedal, then it sounded much better. Still not as good as the V22 but useable. It appears to have the same Reverb as the V22. I tried plugging it into the 12" extension cabinet, that helped.

A few points:
  • As a rule I find class-A triode amps tend to sound "mellower," softer and with less impact than a pentode amp - as I said above, think early-50's small Fender tweed combo or pre-Top Boost Vox - and IME they generally favor brighter-sounding pickups; try a Tele, Strat, or similar guitar (I get my best results from my '82 Yamaha SSC-500, '16 Gretsch 5622T-CB - with its crisper-sounding Super Hi-Lo'trons - P-90 LP Tribute goldtop, and '86 Fender/Squier Strat, in that order) - you might achieve a better balance...
  • A low-power 8" speaker in a small box isn't going to have the sonic "bloom," smoothness, freedom from breakup, or extended range of an 80-watt 12" in the oversize V22 cab - which you already discovered; BTW, Bugera used to claim that the first-run "blue-light" versions could drive a 4x12" - see if you can borrow one and test yours...
  • Corollary to points #1 and #2: while I don't recall the exact nuts-&-bolts of the psychoacoustic theory involved, it's common for most people to perceive a "louder" sound source (acoustic or electric) as having "better" tone - there's no question whatsoever that the V22 has more absolute power, headroom, and dynamic/frequency range, and as such would also be my go-to for larger venues and/or cleaner tone; that said, I use the V5 almost exclusively for weekly band rehearsals as well as smaller/more "live" (lots of hard surfaces) rooms - in fact I backed up a singer at a local microbrewery show last night (concrete floor, bare brick walls, high ceiling) with the P-90 LP, and had no issues with either tone or volume - which leads me to:
  • I don't have a schematic so I don't know the (single) tone control values/parameters, but I can tell you that, unlike the V22 with its 3-band+Presence EQ, this is not even remotely a plug-&-play amp; be advised that the entire main signal path (gain/tone/master) is highly interactive - changing the tone setting will affect the gain structure and vice versa - so while you can shed the outboard EQ, IME you'll need to experiment more than a bit to find the best combinations for you and your instrument(s)...
Hope this helps...
Old 11-22-2017, 09:44 PM

To shed more light on the subject...on the V22, I have the mid eq turned way down and the presence, bass and treble all the way up, and get a fabulous sound. I don't have those options with the V5 so adding the EQ pedal gives me some of those options back, I can boost the bass and treble while cutting the mids, and that almost gives me the tone similar to the V22. It's not perfect but not bad. Don't get me wrong I think the V5 is a cool little amp with plenty of power for home use, but the V22 just sounds incredible. All my other amps have a hard time keeping up with it.

I tried running many of my pedal effects thru the V22 tonight and was very pleased at the resulting sounds. The V22 is quickly becoming my favorite amp of all my amps.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 11-24-2017, 04:43 AM

I have thoroughly enjoyed the Holidays and picking with my daughters boyfriend Alex, but I look forward to getting home for some quality time with my V22.

I was seriously considering a V5, but in February I will have the V22 all the time and will make room for it. In the meantime I have a Fender Frontman 15 that I bought used, like new for $29. It is getting me by for practice so the V5 would only be used for a short time.

I am looking forward to bringing the booger to my new music room. The room is very unusual and Alex pointed out how wonderful the acoustics are. If I could post pictures I think you could understand why. Lots of glass and a 12 foot ceiling with a Cupela(sp?) at the top.

I also am looking forward to turning down the mid and turning up the bass, treble and presence. Thanks for explaining that you found that.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S

Last edited by MBDiagMan; 12-16-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:58 PM

I have another interesting comment about the Bugera to relate here.

Scuffling with my granddaughter, I accidentally folded back my left thumb really bad. It wouldn’t heal and an X-ray shows no cartilage at all remaining in either of the thumb joints. I think my guitar playing is done, so I went back to keyboards. I bought a Hammond from a player that refurbishest them. When he delivered it, he saw my Bugera and started telling me how great they are and that two guitarists he plays with have them.

I just thought it was an interesting comment, from someone that listens to them a lot and thought I would share it.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars