The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The word "ply" is a noun that means a thin layer. Laminate is a verb that means to bond on top of one another.

Part of the confusion is the wording used.

The most popular plywood is home construction wood, where junk wood is layered at 90 degrees to greatly increase strength. Because of the popularity the name "plywood" became synonymous with this low-cost, low-quality home construction wood.

All plywood is laminated.

All laminated wood is made of plys.

The guitar industry does it much differently and deliberately distanced themselves from the word "plywood" and used "laminated wood" instead - strictly as a marketing ploy to avoid confusion.

OK, that said, the words are technically interchangeable.

The question, as discussed already, is "how the plys are laminated together":

Are they laminated in parallal or perpendicular?
Are they two layers (double top) or three (more common plywood)
Is the center of a 3-ply laminate "good" wood or junk filler?
Are the three layers equal thicknesses or is it a thick center with thin (veneer) outer layers?
You can ply your troth and you can purchase a laminated table. :- )
Old 10-30-2016, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Here is a photo of the end of a laminated beam just installed in my basement.

Just for an extreme view of one potential use of laminates when considering the strength characteristics of the end item.

(This beam on a 12' span , with two column jacks , took out the 3/16" slant that had developed in the kitchen above. (That from a combo of stone counter and roof work performed on inadequate beam/rafter foundation))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-30-2016, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Reading your reply, I would envision all layered wood to be dozens of thin layers......

Yes, , another "question" for my list above:

how many layers are there? 3 or 5 or 12?

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-30-2016, 07:56 AM

@MrScott...

..."It's such a pity that laminate construction is still looked down upon..."

---I don't think it's looked down upon.....as long as it's priced accordingly.....
--TC Helicon Voice Live Play GTX
--Audix OM5 Dynamic mic
--Shubb C1 Capo
--Various other "stuff"
Old 10-30-2016, 08:01 AM

Some time ago I found some info on the internet about Yairi's use of laminate wood for back and sides, saying he did this for increased strength and stability and formulated his laminates out of better woods, but I can't find it.
I will say that I have played guitars with laminate back and sides and high quality solid top that sound as good as all solid wood guitars. I had a Mountain guitar that was a copy of a Guild D55 that sounded identical to the Guild. My Blueridge BG60 sounds to me as good as any of the Gibson J45's I've played, and better than some of them.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-30-2016, 08:29 AM

I don't see any advantage of going over three layers. Want a container worth?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...256219087.html
Old 10-30-2016, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
The word "ply" is a noun that means a thin layer. Laminate is a verb that means to bond on top of one another.

Laminate is also a noun (first definition in my dictionary), defined as: a sheet of material made by bonding two or more sheets or layers.

Ply can also be a verb, with one definition given as: join together by twisting, weaving, or molding.

So, usage is pretty much all over the place. Your clarification is still helpful, though.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:22 AM

A guitar shop owner (pushing 70), luthier of unknown (to me) accomplishment, admirer/owner of old Martins, and perplexed fan/seller of lowerish Indonesian and Chinese laminate topped guitars, told it to me that the Red labelled Gakkis had three layered tops where the mid layer was not at a 90 degree angle to the top layer, but somewhere closer to, if not, 45 degrees. The $100 Savannahs, and others that he sold of similar price, were made with three layers, the interior laminated core of 'mystery meat' as he termed it, similar in look to foam or a very fine particle board. I've gathered a few, choice ones, their depth and sustain surpassing/defying presumptions. I enjoy and admire these cheapies, especially because they defy my questionably learned expectations.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 AM

My Ibanez Artist describes the back wood as Indian Rosewood, but it doesn't describe how many layers, the inside and outside grain run in different directions and the seam of the square pieces can be seen inside the body. The outside could be veneer, they're two halves perfectly mirrored. No mention of the use of any other woods in the folders.

Ludwig
Old 11-17-2017, 02:00 AM

Just a quick question:

I don't understand why manufacturers use laminated wood. To me, who knows nothing about guitar building whatsoever (and who's favourite guitar is actually all laminated! http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=489441) it just sounds like a bigger job than using one piece of wood - like, cut and shape one piece of wood or cut and shape several and stick 'em together! The former sounds straightforward, the latter like a pain in the ***.

What am I missing?

Last edited by Martie; 11-17-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:29 AM

I'm a fan of laminate, and most of my thoughts on the subject have already been discussed. I'll just note that I've been playing for about 55 years, and my all-time favourite for fingerpicking is an old Maton M300, all-laminate. The major downside is that the surface texture looks like damp cardboard.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgt178 View Post
@MrScott...

..."It's such a pity that laminate construction is still looked down upon..."

---I don't think it's looked down upon.....as long as it's priced accordingly.....
Is $20,000+ priced accordingly enough for one of Greg Smallman's classical guitars with laminate back and sides? That's about the minimum you'll pay for a used model!
Old 11-17-2017, 04:30 AM

I have a S101 Dreadnaught with Spruce Top and Rosewood back and sides all solid wood, and a Samick Jumbo with Solid Spruce top and laminated Mahogany back and sides.

When played one by one for comparison, the S101 sounds deep, rich and rings out very loud too. The S101 is a great instrument even though it is a low priced budget guitar.

The Samick is quieter, subdued and a bit artificial.

Not fair or accurate comparison of course, because one is Dreadnaught Rose wood back and sides, and the other a Jumbo with Mahogany back and sides. But I wonder if Solid wood and Laminate construction contributes to the tone difference.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
I have a S101 Dreadnaught with Spruce Top and Rosewood back and sides all solid wood, and a Samick Jumbo with Solid Spruce top and laminated Mahogany back and sides.

When played one by one for comparison, the S101 sounds deep, rich and rings out very loud too. The S101 is a great instrument even though it is a low priced budget guitar.

The Samick is quieter, subdued and a bit artificial.

Not fair or accurate comparison of course, because one is Dreadnaught Rose wood back and sides, and the other a Jumbo with Mahogany back and sides. But I wonder if Solid wood and Laminate construction contributes to the tone difference.
I hear quite a difference between my LL16 (solid) and LJ6 (medium jumbo, b/s laminated); again different styles as you said, but the LJ6 is considerably brighter and more projecting-more of an instant attack to notes as opposed to the 'bloom' of the more restrained LL16. Both are rosewood/Englemann spruce.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
Is $20,000+ priced accordingly enough for one of Greg Smallman's classical guitars with laminate back and sides? That's about the minimum you'll pay for a used model!
I was going to mention Greg's guitars. The whole thing is laminate, except for a bit of the lower bout top. IIRC, his price is Oz$40 thousand with a 10 year wait. If you can find one off-the-shelf from a dealer, it is US$60 thousand.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion