The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-31-2017, 10:14 AM

And let me just also say, that I am a Tele fan for the sound and just plain historical value. They got character.
Taylor T5Z
Big Muddy Mandolin-Ziricote b&s
Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
You might like a tele or strat for strumming. The longer scale length and single coil pu's are good for some nice chimey chords. Or a Gretsch...
+1 on the Gretsch - been an owner since 1964 so I can vouch for their rhythm credentials; a couple points:
  • If you want to get into the Gretsch thing on the (relatively) cheap, I can't say enough good things about the current Korean-made 5400/5600-Series Electromatics - every bit the equal of the MIJ Professional Series in tone/playability/QC, superior to many of the vintage Brooklyn originals I've played over the last half-century, nothing sounds like a Gretsch but a Gretsch - and if you read some of the NGD posts on this subforum you'll see I'm not the only one singing their praises; got the whole gamut of classic Gretsch cosmetics covered as well - White Falcon (single- and double-cut), Country Gent, 6120 (single- and double-cut), Viking 12-string (the "Mike Nesmith" model), Double Annie, Brian Setzer Hot Rod - all for well under $1K street...
  • The neck-set position is somewhat higher than what you may be used to seeing on most electric guitars, more "acoustic" in character; whether or not this is a good thing is up to you - I never had any issues, but the new $2K+ Broadcaster line makes a point of emphasizing the non-"traditional Gretsch" neck-body join...
  • You'll need heavier strings than what most straight-up electric players use these days, due to the 24.6" scale; good news is that if you're primarily an acoustic player this should be absolutely no problem - I've been using (flatwound) 12's on my Double Annie since day one, and I just stepped up from 11's to 12's on my 5622T-CB E-matic (major difference in tone/volume, BTW) - and it'll allow to you to transition from acoustic to electric easily in a performance setting...
Old 10-31-2017, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

I have quite a bit of experience with both playing live (mostly country music) and really liked both. PRS may not be known as a stereotypical country music guitar, but I found it to be versatile and it had a really nice clean tone. As for the Telecaster, well, I own 3 of them and plan to add more eventually. It is my favorite electric guitar of all time. It simply fits me and my style(s). YMMV, and if you can, you should test drive both and make an informed decision that suits your playing style.

There is certainly nothing wrong with either.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:35 PM

Thanks Steve and Pick,
The Gretsch always seems big to me. Are they that big or is it illusion. Do the feel that big in your lap?
So you've got 3 tele's and want more? As kind of a novice electric guy, how much difference is there? Is it in the different pick up? Or?
Taylor T5Z
Old 10-31-2017, 08:10 PM

You can't go wrong with a Tele or SE. In both, even reasonable effort will yield great value for money, and you should be able to find the tone you want easily. I think Gretsches are a different, love-hate kind of deal -- more inconsistent, and a bit more distinct tonally. I don't go for them, but those that do love 'em. Try before you buy. And the art of chording, rhythm guitar is fantastic to explore.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62&climbing View Post
Thanks Steve and Pick,
The Gretsch always seems big to me. Are they that big or is it illusion. Do the feel that big in your lap?
So you've got 3 tele's and want more? As kind of a novice electric guy, how much difference is there? Is it in the different pick up? Or?
The SE I played was borrowed for about a year, and I played it as my primary electric during that time. It had 3 single coil pickups, 5 position but I hardly ever used the middle. It was more comparable to a Strat, IMO, and while I like Strats, and the SE, the twangy tone I love and need was found in my Teles.

The SE I played had a short scale length, around 24.5" if I remember correctly, and was extremely comfortable to play. The guitar was also light, and the combination of both made it a really comfortable guitar for playing live. But it wasn't just the comfort. It was a really good sounding guitar that was versatile. I also used a Music Man tube amp, also borrowed, for a few shows and the combination was blissful. Of course that Music Man costs more than two SE's. LOL

Yes I have 3 Teles, two Mex Teles and one Squier. I will eventually add an American and when the exact right one comes along, I will snag it up.
Old 11-04-2017, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62&climbing View Post
...The Gretsch always seems big to me. Are they that big or is it illusion. Do the feel that big in your lap?
They're 16" thinlines - as wide as an acoustic but thinner front-to-back - so they're an easy transition for a pure acoustic player; they're also lighter than most solibodies at 7 lbs.+/-, with an acoustic-like balance on the strap and none of the "boat-anchor" feel many solids can have after a long set. In 55 years of playing I've often discovered that what you think you want isn't always what you need - I own several solids and use them regularly, so I have no biases in that respect - and while the final decision is yours alone, you'd be doing yourself a real disservice if you didn't put Gretsch on your "must-try" list...
Old 11-05-2017, 08:22 PM

Steve, you are correct. I deserve a few strums on the Gretsch.
Taylor T5Z
Old 11-07-2017, 03:20 PM

Default Depends

I don't think you can go wrong with either depending on what tones you're seeking. I own an SE and am currently without a true tele (I have an Ibanez offset t-style however and have owned several teles over the years).

There is overlap between the two with the PRS coil tapped but I think the PRS will cover more ground than a Tele (although Tele rock tones are underrated it is still best at, well, the tele sound!).

As for playing chords, even a shred special works just fine playing rhythm if attacked and setup properly although some think a super wide thin neck is less comfortable (my PRS has their wide thin profile but I've not felt like it made playing rhythm chords any harder even if it is arguably a "faster" neck than a 7.5" radius chunky vintage tele neck).
PRS Custom 24
Rickenbacker 330
Teles (too many)

Bad Cat Cub III 30R
Goodsell Super 17
Vintage Sound VS22

Too many pedals!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars