The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-24-2017, 07:11 PM

A rifle repair mat works well also and can be purchased very inexpensively at places like Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops. I have one two that I place on a piece of plywood approx 16x40" that I support with a foldable keyboard stand. When not in use, it stores nicely in the closet.

Cheers,
Mark
Old 11-24-2017, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Soft, fluffy clean, cotton towel on my spa cover....ie: work bench.
The perfect height for outside string drudgery.

I have brought my MINT ebony guitar to my repairman with his work towel that had black debris, stains, and ... on it. I saw him shake it off and put it back down and I requested a new surface.
Watch out for luthiers that get too comfortable with the work pads that absorb cleaners, 0000 wool filings, dust etc....
Old 11-24-2017, 10:02 PM

I have read it recommended before to buy a yoga mat which is apparently much cheaper and just as good as the work mats sold in guitar shops.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
I use a 2x3 scatter rug and one of these ... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...F-adType%5EPLA
I have that folding neck rest, too, but do not recommend it -- it is too easy to topple over when you're working on the guitar or changing strings. It's ok in a mobile setting if you have an immediate need but I much prefer the one that I link to in the $30 Christmas gift thread -- no chance of it moving.

Last edited by Reasley; 11-24-2017 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 11-25-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasley View Post
I have that folding neck rest, too, but do not recommend it -- it is too easy to topple over when you're working on the guitar or changing strings. It's ok in a mobile setting if you have an immediate need but I much prefer the one that I link to in the $30 Christmas gift thread -- no chance of it moving.
OK ... but I've been using this for decades and never had an issue. And the portability means its always in my gig kit.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

You can save $$s on the pad for sure but from years of building and repairing this is my all time favorite. Best $20 you can spend on a guitar tool.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion