The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-30-2017, 01:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Guitar Pro 7

I've used Guitar Pro 6 for years on multiple computers with no problems. Last month I bought a new computer with a high resolution display and discovered that the icons in GP 6 don't scale well on modern display resolutions. I made it work but my aging eyes were getting a workout.

I went to their web site to see if something could be done and discovered Guitar Pro 7 was available. Downloaded the trial version and the user interface now scales correctly on high resolution displays. They tweaked the user interface to take advantage of the increased real estate so I find the program a lot easier to use.

I'm on their mailing list so am surprised I didn't get notice of the new version. Or that Guitar Pro 6 itself doesn't announce a newer version is available. You'd think they would want a chance at my upgrade money. Oh well, they got it anyway since I just paid for the upgrade license. On sale for the next 60 days.

The only issue so far is that the iOS version of Guitar Pro still doesn't support GP7 files but the function is promised "soon".
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 04-30-2017, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

So what new features, if any? I love GP6.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-30-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Link to all the new features: https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index....-pro-whats-new

The high resolution display support was the deciding factor for me, but I also like the new interface.

They list "Quality of the score's design" as a new feature and the description makes it hard to understand, at least to me, what that means. But I had a GP6 score that I updated to GP7 and darned if it didn't look better. Made better use of the entire page and easier to read.

The update feature was definitely improved. I did a first update earlier today and much better experience than the funky old GP6 update.

30 day full feature free trial downloadable from the web site. On my Windows 10 computer both GP6 and GP7 versions coexist with no problems so you may consider giving GP 7 a test run to see if you like it.
2018 Guild M-20
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 04-30-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penname View Post
Link to all the new features: https://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index....-pro-whats-new

The high resolution display support was the deciding factor for me, but I also like the new interface.

They list "Quality of the score's design" as a new feature and the description makes it hard to understand, at least to me, what that means. But I had a GP6 score that I updated to GP7 and darned if it didn't look better. Made better use of the entire page and easier to read.

The update feature was definitely improved. I did a first update earlier today and much better experience than the funky old GP6 update.

30 day full feature free trial downloadable from the web site. On my Windows 10 computer both GP6 and GP7 versions coexist with no problems so you may consider giving GP 7 a test run to see if you like it.
Ok thanks! I'm downloading it now to try it out.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-30-2017, 05:40 PM

I think it's much improved also. I found the old interface very difficult to navigate and they have corrected a lot of those issues. I did have a weird problem after installation: When I would click on the icon, the program would immediately crash. Arobas was of very little help and I finally figured out the problem on my own. As it turns out, an audio driver needed to be updated... Figuring it out took a week of heavy duty troubleshooting. It was worth it, however.

Best,

Rick
Old 04-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for this info. I stopped using Guitar Pro altogether when I got my Ultrabook and then Surface, because I simply could not see the controls anymore. I purchased the upgrade and am downloading as I type this. The download is 979 MB and will take almost 10 minutes with my internet connection!

Edit: The download completed in less than 10 minutes. I was able to install the software on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Windows 10) with no trouble. This new version is WONDERFUL! So much better than the previous version on my Surface. All the sound banks are there and they souond really nice. I can actually see the controls now. I was able to load up my TEF (tabledit files) and they came up just fine. All in all, a real serious upgrade, and well worth the price. I am glad I just went ahead and purchased the upgrade license straight away and just getting it done.

As for new features, I didn't get time yet to dig into it, and I am not at all a "power user" anyway. All I do is loop and slow down my existing TEFs and gp files, though with this new interface, I can certainly try inputting some stuff too.

Many thanks to penname for starting this thread and letting us know within the discount upgrade time frame that it is available. You made my day!

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 04-30-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:31 AM

Just got my update. Interface looks much better, the notes look super crisp on my retina screen. Worth the money.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 AM

FYI - Note that most of Arobas' bulletins and tech support comes through on Facebook. Regarding tech support, the website is fairly useless, as was their advice. But I will add that he program is far better than it was in its previous iteration.

best,

Rick
Old 05-04-2017, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

I'm getting a buzzing in my sound system that I don't have in version 6. Anyone else?

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-17-2017, 06:00 PM

Default Guitar Pro 7 Info

I recently upgraded my Guitar Pro6 to Guitar Pro7. One of the primary advantages I found with Guitar Pro7 was the quality of the sound on playback of the acoustic guitar.
I am writing a song book with 12 songs and the ability to have a much better sounding playback has really made the upgrade worth it for me.
Not sure that this helps but thought I would pass this information on.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:06 PM

Default Guitar Pro 7 Hammer-On and Pull-Off

I have noticed on Guitar Pro7 that the automatic Hammer-On and Pull-Off feature does not always catch all true hammer-on and pull-off notes in my arrangements. Has anyone figure out a way to put your own hammer-on and pull-offs in the score? I would not mind doing it by hand at all, just not sure though how I would do this with Guitar Pro7 or even Guitar Pro6 for that matter.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smassey3 View Post
I have noticed on Guitar Pro7 that the automatic Hammer-On and Pull-Off feature does not always catch all true hammer-on and pull-off notes in my arrangements. Has anyone figure out a way to put your own hammer-on and pull-offs in the score? I would not mind doing it by hand at all, just not sure though how I would do this with Guitar Pro7 or even Guitar Pro6 for that matter.
I'm pretty sure the hot key is either H or P.

You should sit down with it and review all the menu choices.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 11-18-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Hammer-on and Pull-off hotkeys

Thanks for the note on H and P hotkeys for Hammer-ons and Pull-offs. Really works great.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It's probably best if you just read it from GP's site.

We've already discussed a bit how GP7 reads files a bit differently than V6. I haven't learned to import or write music on either so downloading and reading is the extent of my personal experience. I don't think I paid very much for the upgrade.

As to the OP... I'm surprised that you didn't get notification from GP. If you've got a license then you're certainly in their email data bank.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-25-2018, 11:22 AM

I'm reviving this old thread because I recently upgraded to GP7.5 only to discover that in multi-voice mode all rests are automatically hidden. In previous versions there was a Hide Useless Rests option (Stylesheet>Notation>Symbols) that could be changed to show rests on the standard notation staff. That's gone and I've been unable to find out how to get rests to appear. Has anyone else encountered this issue and if so have you found a solution?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write