The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-10-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Would this be a feedback issue?

I've played some open mics, but have never tried this....

If I were to play an instrumental, and my guitar is amped....

Could I take the vocal mic I wouldn't be using for that number and just point it towards the sound hole for the instrumental? - Does this add some extra volume or cause issues?

I will try it, just haven't had a chance yet
Old 11-10-2017, 06:12 PM

Probably not very well. If the vocal mic is set up for singing (loud source from a few mm away) then it won't get much from a guitar (quieter source from, say, 15cm away). If there's someone on the sound desk that can correct for that then you may as well just get them to turn up the guitar rather than try to use the microphone. The risk of feedback would also be significant.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfq722 View Post

Could I take the vocal mic I wouldn't be using for that number and just point it towards the sound hole for the instrumental? - Does this add some extra volume or cause issues?

I will try it, just haven't had a chance yet
I would recommend adding a pedal to your mix if you want a boost during instrumentals. I'd recommend the Electro-Harmonix LP-40 (I think its forty). It is a pedal with a single knob (Volume). Play without the pedal on at normal volume and then for the instrumental, turn on the pedal and get a boost. The amount is determined by how far you have the volume turned up on the pedal. This would actually be faster than just rearranging the mic. These pedals are really cheap, like $25 used online. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfq722 View Post

It might add extra volume, but it could easily cause feedback. A much better idea is simply to make sure you have the volume and tone you need from your amp - which you may be able to put through the PA (direct) anyway. Unless your amp is a dedicated acoustic guitar amp, you'll probably get a better tone going straight into the PA.
But a lot of this is dependent on the specific set-up at your local open mic.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:48 PM

Do you mean you want to just mic the guitar for an instrumental? For a more natural sound?

Mic'd guitars are always a feedback threat on stage, but it's definitely doable, I mic my nylon-string all the time. You'd want to do a sound check, probably, as others have noted. And don't point the mic directly at the sound hole. That's a good way to multiply your feedback problems. Conventional wisdom is: Point the mic at the 12th fret, or where the neck meets the body.

Also, for an instrumental you can actually get away with less volume...you're not trying to compete with vocals or anything. Less volume means less chance of feedback, so, less chance of feeding back when mic'd...
Old 11-12-2017, 12:24 AM

At our music club we use a directional condensor mic for instruments that don't have pick ups. It's a different mic to the one used for vocals.

Some say putting the guitar through a mic like you suggested (pointed towards the instrument / sound hole) is the best way to amplify an acoustic instrument. When we have blue grass groups, they use a non-directional condensor mic and it works well because the different players will move closer to and further from the mic depending on whether they are playing lead or not. Same for the vocalists.

Sure there can be problems with feedback, same applies to the guitars I play that have on board pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write