The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-07-2012, 03:15 PM

I became obsessed with the concept of making necks without measuring, especially slotted headstocks. For whatever reason, my thinking went to a pantograph machine. I ordered a radar carver, but ended up redesigning the darn thing. As you can see, I went for mass. 1/4" steel table, steel end mounts. It takes two people to lift it on and off my table saw. After a year of R&D, I can produce the same neck over and over without measuring. From 12/14 board to sealer takes about 5-6 hrs per unit.
The machine is also real handy for duplicating broken necks. I did one for a friend, who told me that after he had filed down to the bottom of the router marks, the tenon just slid right in to the mortise and the cheeks mated along their entire length.
I'm sure others have their own well thought out methods of making necks quickly and accurately, this is mine.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:56 AM

Default Yet More Progress

From Bevan...

Quote:
It’s been awhile…… I left off just after gluing the top and back on the sides. These first photos depict the sanding and routing of the binding channels. One of the unique features of my instruments is the inlaid strip on the end. First I mark the cut lines, then I cut them. I have a great little japanese pull saw with a cutting edge about 5” long, which makes quick work of cutting right on the lines. Next I clear the material between the cuts with a japanese chisel. Clean and ready for inlay!
And the progress photos...

Old 08-17-2012, 03:20 PM

Some great pics. It's coming along. So ... where are the pics with the strings on? (my way of asking how long?)
Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Some great pics. It's coming along. So ... where are the pics with the strings on? (my way of asking how long?)
I'm not sure when the due date is. I'm just enjoying the "pregnancy". I imagine there's still the fret work and neck detailing to be done; and bridge work, and all such details.

And, then the whole finishing process.

I'll keep posting photos/updates as I get them from Bevan.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:16 AM

As of last week, about halfway done the finish on body and neck...

Old 09-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Looking really nice, and mahogany/lutz is a great pairing.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 PM

Default Finish Application/Sanding/Buffing Complete

A few photos from Bevan: his having now completed the application/sanding/buffing of all layers of finish...

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigho View Post
Love this last pic, it's like it looks outside and is wondering what it would be like in the outside world.. Nice!
Fender Gemini II (dread)
Yamaki YW-20 (dread)
OM Curly Redwood/Ziricote (Buildthread, Dutch)

GAS in denial: I won't spend my hard-earned money on something I don't need!
Old 10-31-2012, 03:43 AM

Default All Done and In Transit

Hi Folks,

Bevan finished up the build last week. The guitar is in transit and scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I'll plan to take some photos after arrival and post them here this coming weekend.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 AM

Look forward to seeing the pics... loved your choices!
Old 11-21-2012, 12:11 PM

Default Photos of Finished Guitar

Hi Folks,

While I've not taken the photos that I promised, Bevan did have a professional photo shoot of the four builds he recently completed. My understanding is that Fretboard Journal is doing a piece on Bevan/Big Hollow Guitars and the photos may be included in that.

The link to the photos is: http://toddpowell.com/bighollow/index.html

There are three 00 builds and 1 parlor build (the Koa/cherry burst guitar is the parlor). Mine is the vintage natural top 00 (appears in the 3rd column of each of the index pages).

Here's a few of photos of mine from his set (but, definitely do click on the link - all four guitars are spectacular to view).

Old 11-21-2012, 12:18 PM

BTW, I'm really, really, really loving the 00. It's definitely living up to all my high expectations: (1) rich, full, sound with lots of overtones, (2) great dynamics (in that it maintains its great sound from pianissimo to fortissimo and everywhere in between), (3) the neck feels great and I'm finding it very comfortable to play - it's got great "fretability" up and down the neck, and (4) it looks great - Bevan really nailed the vintage-y look I was hoping for.

I brought it to my guitar lesson last Wednesday and let my teacher have some time with it. His name is Peyton Tochterman (in addition to teaching, he is a professional touring singer/songwriter and quite a guitar aficionado
- he owns several Rockbridge guitars, a Henderson, a vintage J35, a couple vintage Martins and my former Kopp Trail Boss [I traded it to him for *many* free lessons in order to purchase the 00]). He loved the Big Hollow as well. One comment of his that stood out was that he said that it was the best new guitar he had ever played ("new" meaning having just been built as opposed to from a builder relatively new to the craft). We didn't do too much lessoning - just jamming together swapping my 00 and his Rockbridge 0 (which has more of a vintage Gibson voice) between us. It was an interesting combination since - while they are both great small-bodied guitars - they have very different voices. The Rockbridge is very "twangy" while the Big Hollow is very rich and overtoney.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:55 PM

outstanding!!!!! you builders absolutely amaze me with your work!!!! I find it inconceivable how you can shape,cut and shave wood into a guitar/work of art!!!!! I applaud you all!!!!!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop