The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 10:41 PM
AGF Bouncer

I played a CA guitar last week. I'm not sure on the model name/number; it was a no-cutaway dread, no electronics (I don't think).

It sounded really nice. The big thing I noticed right off the bat was string balance; very even. It was really a nice guitar, and the neck will never give you a problem, that's for sure.

The only thing that would be suggestive is the tone of it. It didn't sound bad at all, but it certainly didn't sound "woody". Which will definately influence many traditionalists to balk at them, as that dark/woody tone is what they want.

It had a lot of clarity and seperation; it reminded me a lot of maple.

Would I buy one? I dunno, mostly because I don't really think I need/want another steel stringed acoustic (probably a Nylon next). But it was certainly a nice guitar.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert
Pat, a question for you. Would you be willing to smash your CA against a cement floor while someone is videotaping? Neither would I. The best benefit I see of a graphite guitar is its relative imperviousness to temperature and humidity changes--quite useful to bluegrass festival performers. I wouldn't bank too much on the reported resistance to cement floors and forklifts; those are quite outside of the normal operating environments of most guitars.
jalbert,

I wouldn't go slamming a CA Guitar into the floor, just to test its toughness. I would expect, though, that it would easily withstand typical accidents like being knocked over by a drunk or being thumped by the headstock of another guitar. I have wood guitars which were damaged in those ways, so the reputed toughness of CA Guitars is a big plus from my perspective.

On the other hand, I'm disappointed to hear that your CA Guitar scratches easily. I was hoping that a CA Guitar would be totally resistant to top scratching (by the gonzo strummers who borrow my loaner guitars) and gouging around the soundhole (from a fingerpick-aided comping style which I myself occasionally employ).

Oh well, its better to get the reality check now. Thanks for providing the scratch report. Testing for a guitar's vulnerability to scratching isn't the kind of thing that one can do (or should do) at a dealer.

Gary
Old 07-25-2004, 11:17 PM

Default Huh ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOTF
Evolution only applies to living things -- or things that were once alive.

This does not include guitars made from minerals or plastics.

Huh ??

Really ?

When you thought that to yourself, did you for even a nanosecond, think perhaps it was humor ? Even if not very funny ?

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 07-25-2004, 11:22 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M
You beat me on both points.

The pros log thousands of miles traveling with their guitars, and damage just comes with the territory. If 1) synthetic guitars were significantly less damage prone than wood ones and 2) sounded that much better, I'd expect to see professional musicians completely replacing their wood ones. This has not happened. Woodies are far and away are the guitars of choice for professional musicians.

Jeff, give it time. They've only been available for a few short years. Actually many pros ARE using these guitars. Once the word gets out. Look out!

Are you still claiming that CA Guitars aren't significantly more durable than wood?? Come on you can't really think that. You're making yourself sound retarded. It is a fact they are significantly stronger and they sound as good or better than most really good wood guitars. To deny this is just plain dishonest!! I'm not saying that a $4000 Martin MIGHT sound a wee little bit better But I am saying any wood guitar in the price range of a CA isn't going to sound as good. I'd even venture to say that you could go twice as high in retail price for a wood guitar and still not beat a CA.
Listen to Tim McGraw's album before you say any more. Also please inform yourself because your false comments are making you look like either you're retarded or a liar.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:27 PM

Default No way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
...I have read reports that say you can take a CA Guitar and raise it over your head and smash it into a cement floor and it is not damaged in any way.

It has been done multiple times.

Furthermore they ran over the neck of a CA Guitar with a fork lift and it wasn't damaged in any way. GO TRY THAT WITH A WOODEN GUITAR!
First, let me confess to not being anexpert on CA guitars.

Second, let me confess to not being an expert on carbon fiber.

Third, let me confess to not being an experts on forklifts.

Now, let me simply say this.

NO WAY !

Carbon fibers are very strong, but the strength is in relationship to its weight.

Just because something is made of carbon fiber, doesnt mean it is indestructible.

You run a forklift over that neck, and at the very least it is going to scratch it up, if not break it.

As for a two arm overhand swing at concrete, same thing. Scratched to peices if nothing else.

There is no argument that composite guitars have some things going for them in terms of the characteristics of wood vs. carbon fiber, but please, these story's of indestructability are just too far out there.

I would challenge ANY owner to offer theirs up for that test.

I own a carbon fiber topped guitar which I love. It is a piece of art, and I treat it as such. But I dont leave it lying in the driveway.

McPherson 4.5W RW/ZI
Taylor 812ce - Taylor 514ce - NS32-ce
Adamas W-597, Epi John Lee Hooker Sig #23 of 220, Squire Black Strat
Jay Turser Maple OM
Taylor W14ce / 422-R Babies x 3
Fishman 130W Tri-Amped Performer Acoustic Amp
Old 07-25-2004, 11:42 PM

Thumbs down

I would venture to say that all of you who are ripping on everything I say are liberal democrats aren't you. If shows in the way you twist words or downright lie. That's pathetic. I'm done with this. Jeff gets away with ripping on going to church and several others on this site insult with profanity and it's allowed by BOBBIE. I've got better things to do than argue with stupid liberals.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:45 PM
Charter Member

"Mom, look at the smoke coming from the funny man's head!"
"Shhh, don't stare dear..."
Old 07-25-2004, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I would venture to say that all of you who are ripping on everything I say are liberal democrats aren't you. If shows in the way you twist words or downright lie. That's pathetic. I'm done with this. Jeff gets away with ripping on going to church and several others on this site insult with profanity and it's allowed by BOBBIE. I've got better things to do than argue with stupid liberals.
Unfortunately, I think any shred of credibility you were clinging to is now long gone. Sad--I'm sure they're very nice guitars.

I personally don't appreciate completely irrelevant political comments entering in guitar threads. I would assume there are a million political boards out there where this is...appropriate...commentary.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:58 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
Jeff, give it time. They've only been available for a few short years. Actually many pros ARE using these guitars. Once the word gets out. Look out!

Are you still claiming that CA Guitars aren't significantly more durable than wood?? Come on you can't really think that. You're making yourself sound retarded. It is a fact they are significantly stronger and they sound as good or better than most really good wood guitars. To deny this is just plain dishonest!! I'm not saying that a $4000 Martin MIGHT sound a wee little bit better But I am saying any wood guitar in the price range of a CA isn't going to sound as good. I'd even venture to say that you could go twice as high in retail price for a wood guitar and still not beat a CA.
Listen to Tim McGraw's album before you say any more. Also please inform yourself because your false comments are making you look like either you're retarded or a liar.
Pat, you are new here. Calling folks names is not the best way to introduce yourself.

We disagree about the tonal attractiveness of synthetic guitars. You think they sound better than wood guitars, that's great. I don't. The fact is that the majority of acoustic guitarists do not play carbon fiber guitars as their preferred primary instrument. We can argue till we are blue about what might happen in the future, but it would be speculation on both of our parts.

I'm not sure how old you are Pat, but by your "enthusiasm" and your comments I suspect late teens/early twenties. I suggest there is much for you to learn, not only about how humidity can effect wooden instruments.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 07-26-2004, 12:12 AM

Talking

I'm done with this. How pathetic you are jeff.

Last edited by Pat; 07-26-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:20 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Pat, slow down and take a look at what you are writing.

(Edit; Sorry Pat. I posted this before you edited your post to remove your threats.)

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 07-26-2004 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bm7b5
Huh ??

Really ?

When you thought that to yourself, did you for even a nanosecond, think perhaps it was humor ? Even if not very funny ?
I got the humor right away. My response was in the same vein and I personally thought it was equally funny....

2008 Collings OM-2HA
2002 Taylor 712ce
1970 Martin D-18
2008 Silver Creek D-170
2005 Washburn WD-32SW
2006 Gibson '61 Reissue SG
2002 Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster
2006 Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
1972 Gibson SG Pro
1985 Squier Telecaster
2006 Epiphone AlleyKat

"Life without music would be a mistake." --Nietzsche
Old 07-26-2004, 12:23 AM

Talking

Jeff, I suggest you do the same.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat
I'm with d-red -- you just lost me entirely, bucko.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out....

2008 Collings OM-2HA
2002 Taylor 712ce
1970 Martin D-18
2008 Silver Creek D-170
2005 Washburn WD-32SW
2006 Gibson '61 Reissue SG
2002 Fender '52 Reissue Telecaster
2006 Fender Deluxe Player's Stratocaster
1972 Gibson SG Pro
1985 Squier Telecaster
2006 Epiphone AlleyKat

"Life without music would be a mistake." --Nietzsche
Old 07-26-2004, 12:25 AM

Jeff, The offer on the unedited post still remains. Let me know!!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber