The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 08:27 PM

Default Come Up and See Me Make Me Smile

Love the acoustic solo on this at 1:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJ0cyXbMbI

Probably my all time fave acoustic solo on a pop or rock song. Apparently they had to use three takes and mix parts down to achieve the desired result on the record itself...it's beyond my technical ability I must say. I don't think this version is the original recording, but I may be wrong.

Can anyone here replicate it (near enough)?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Never heard this tune or this artist. Definitely mid 70's Ovation solo.

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Removed bashing
Old 01-15-2018, 09:00 PM

First time I've seen that group. The acoustic artist is fine. The lead singer gives me the creeps.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:13 PM

I'm in a cover band that does that song - and I get to play the solo, note for note. I admit I had to notate it to learn it - there's about every time value know to man in it. It's not all that hard to play but hard to remember, for this old man anyway.
Goes over very well at gigs.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen David View Post
Love the acoustic solo on this at 1:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpJ0cyXbMbI

Probably my all time fave acoustic solo on a pop or rock song. Apparently they had to use three takes and mix parts down to achieve the desired result on the record itself...it's beyond my technical ability I must say. I don't think this version is the original recording, but I may be wrong.

Can anyone here replicate it (near enough)?
Have you heard the acoustic solo on the 1971 song 'Too Young To Be Married' by the The Hollies?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-16-2018, 12:06 AM

That was horrid. I'm guessing the more takes they did the worse it got. And ya. I was around during that period in time.

Last edited by Seagull S6; 01-16-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Never heard this tune or this artist. Definitely mid 70's Ovation solo.
You would need a bowl make out of plastic called lyrachord, not wood. In the early 80's I had a L/H Legend no cutaway non pickup model and dumped it after a few years because I hated how it projected.

If you could replace the plastic bowl with an actual guitar back and sides it probably would have sounded great. As I recall, the workmanship in them was pretty decent but the sound/projection? Meh.............

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-16-2018 at 05:17 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 AM

I'm partial to the acoustic solos in this song, though I suppose you wouldn't quite call it pop or rock.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:34 AM

Not to shabby. As a plus it isn't that "New Country." Ya, I could here him playing lead notes from the chords. Pop? Just a label........
What do you think of this one? Mostly Bm-G-A shapes Capoed up a whole step for the voices. Great cover song. I was shocked to learn it is a country song. Also, I think it might be the chord progression for a Scorpions song although I can't quite place it yet.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Never heard this tune or this artist.
Where have you been? This must be in, at least, the top 30 all time best UK world wide hits of all time.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:59 AM

Well I find that impressive! Do you get a cheer when you finish it I wonder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ C View Post
I'm in a cover band that does that song - and I get to play the solo, note for note. I admit I had to notate it to learn it - there's about every time value know to man in it. It's not all that hard to play but hard to remember, for this old man anyway.
Goes over very well at gigs.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:04 AM

No I wasn't familiar with that track. Very good and full of interest I'd agree. Not quite "fluid" enough for my taste though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Have you heard the acoustic solo on the 1971 song 'Too Young To Be Married' by the The Hollies?
Old 01-16-2018, 06:04 AM

I learned the song (just four chords, F/C/G/Dm), and solo years ago. Works best with a band for the vocal harmonies. Contrary to an earlier comment I heard Steve Harley say that the solo was recorded in one take after the band had taken a break in the local pub, and returned to the studio well lubricated. Either way it's a great song, and one of my favourites. One video shows the lead guitarist, Jim Cregan, playing a D-18. And thank goodness it isn't yet another three-chord, big hat country song, droning on about dogs, divorces and trucks!

Last edited by AndrewG; 01-16-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:03 AM

I first saw Steve Harley when I was 16, so that would have been 1973. I've seen him (and heard that song) many times since, with a full band and also when he's toured as part of a duo, he's a great entertainer. His radio show "Sounds of the Seventies" on BBC Radio2 used to be excellent, 30 minutes with 4 or 5 songs at most and lots of stories from the era in between. The BBC in it's wisdom axed the show . . .
Old 01-16-2018, 08:28 AM

I have learned about new artists/writers through the frequent musical posts here and I appreciate everyone's efforts in that regard. I have added songs to my own playing that have become favorites from artists I previously had zero knowledge of - and that's a wonderful thing. Thank you all.

Then there are other videos that make me marvel at how wide and different our musical tastes can be - and that's a good thing, too. It makes the world more interesting. Thanks for posting.

This song, unfortunately, is one of the later. My preference (aside from a different singer and song) would be a solo that sounds like it can only properly live on an acoustic instrument.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion