The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 06:06 PM

There are definitely a few models that I am not interested in. One in particular is the M-36. I have always thought that, that guitar was a hidden gem in the Martin line up but I hated the nut width. The 1-3/4" nut width makes me want to buy a few different models.. now I just need money.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
Agree. I have the updated D-18, and I am totally entranced by this thing at times. I love my rosewood as well, but the clarity and quality of the 18...I really have grown to enjoy the tones, sustain, and fundamentals of mahogany. These are truly great instruments with the performance necks
If the rest of the models reflect what today's D18 is, they will be something.
That guitar is special IMHO. Honestly, I feel It's almost a steal for what it costs...I said almost.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

So the only change on the OM-28 is the fret markers? And it's $100 cheaper?

Last edited by Gmountain; 01-11-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
There are definitely a few models that I am not interested in. One in particular is the M-36. I have always thought that, that guitar was a hidden gem in the Martin line up but I hated the nut width. The 1-3/4" nut width makes me want to buy a few different models.. now I just need money.
Ha!!! My thoughts exactly.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:49 PM

The changes to the OM-28 include the new Antique White binding and the checkerboard back strip, called Style 28. It used to have grained ivoroid binding and the zig-zag back strip of the old OM-28V.

The changes to the OM-21 include the new version of Aging Toner, which is more butterscotch yellow than off white.

Both OMs and the entire Standard Series get new Schaller GrandTune tuning machines.

As I mentioned on the UMGF, I swear someone in Martin has access to my calendar and picks the days I am totally unavailable to release this kind of info.

The low down on the Martin's new Standard Series (2018) models will come to make more sense once they get into people's hands.

But gist can be gleaned in this thread: they are standardizing the various 28 models, while converting the entire series to the High Performance neck. Actually the new 12-string has the Performing Artist shape to the neck, and what they now call the Wide High Performance Taper.

The biggest move, to my way of thinking is the change to forward-shifted braces on all the Dreadnought models that had been using the "standard position" for the X brace placement, which was codified by 1960.

As for another comment in this thread:

The 2-5/32" spacing for the High Performance Neck was changed in January 2016 (if I remember correctly.) It had been 2-3/16" (splitting the difference between the 2-1/8" of the old 1-11/16" neck and the 2-1/4" of the old 1-3/4" neck.)

The professional guitarists Martin listens to complained that they were pulling the high E string off the fretboard up around the heel. So they moved the strings in the same distance as the width of a .012 E string.

Personally I think that neck should have 2-1/8" string spacing. But I think the strings coming off the frets up the neck has more to do with how the frets are trimmed or crimped or whatever they call that angled slicing at the edge of the fret. I found that issue intermittently across examples of the same models with the same string spacing. And I still find that to be the case after the change.

Also, I will remind folks that the High Performance Neck can mean any neck with the High Performance Taper - which combines the 2-1/8" width at the 12th fret that was on the old 1-11/16" neck, with a 1-3/4" width at nut. But it is closer over all to the former, just cheated wider a tad out at the cowboy chord area. Hence the string spacing being closer to 2-1/8" of the old 1-11/16" neck.

But almost always the High Performance Neck now comes with a Modified Low Oval Profile.

So it does seem the Low Profile that first appeared in the 1985 is being shelved after 32 years. But I expect to see it on special editions, etc.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMansGuitar View Post
The changes to the OM-28 include the new Antique White binding and the checkerboard back strip, called Style 28. It used to have grained ivoroid binding and the zig-zag back strip of the old OM-28V.

The changes to the OM-21 include the new version of Aging Toner, which is more butterscotch yellow than off white.

Both OMs and the entire Standard Series get new Schaller GrandTune tuning machines.

As I mentioned on the UMGF, I swear someone in Martin has access to my calendar and picks the days I am totally unavailable to release this kind of info.

The low down on the Martin's new Standard Series (2018) models will come to make more sense once they get into people's hands.

But gist can be gleaned in this thread: they are standardizing the various 28 models, while converting the entire series to the High Performance neck. Actually the new 12-string has the Performing Artist shape to the neck, and what they now call the Wide High Performance Taper.

The biggest move, to my way of thinking is the change to forward-shifted braces on all the Dreadnought models that had been using the "standard position" for the X brace placement, which was codified by 1960.

As for another comment in this thread:

The 2-5/32" spacing for the High Performance Neck was changed in January 2016 (if I remember correctly.) It had been 2-3/16" (splitting the difference between the 2-1/8" of the old 1-11/16" neck and the 2-1/4" of the old 1-3/4" neck.)

The professional guitarists Martin listens to complained that they were pulling the high E string off the fretboard up around the heel. So they moved the strings in the same distance as the width of a .012 E string.

Personally I think that neck should have 2-1/8" string spacing. But I think the strings coming off the frets up the neck has more to do with how the frets are trimmed or crimped or whatever they call that angled slicing at the edge of the fret. I found that issue intermittently across examples of the same models with the same string spacing. And I still find that to be the case after the change.

Also, I will remind folks that the High Performance Neck can mean any neck with the High Performance Taper - which combines the 2-1/8" width at the 12th fret that was on the old 1-11/16" neck, with a 1-3/4" width at nut. But it is closer over all to the former, just cheated wider a tad out at the cowboy chord area. Hence the string spacing being closer to 2-1/8" of the old 1-11/16" neck.

But almost always the High Performance Neck now comes with a Modified Low Oval Profile.

So it does seem the Low Profile that first appeared in the 1985 is being shelved after 32 years. But I expect to see it on special editions, etc.
So Spoon...with the forward shifted scalloped bracing on this newer (2018) HD-28 do you think Martin will retire the HD-28V like the D-28 Marquis?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-11-2018, 08:21 PM

Just looked at the updated specs on the 000-42 and my prayers have been answered.

1.75 nut and Low Profile neck.

Seals the deal for me. NGD coming. Well, coming as in waiting for the piggy bank to fill up a little more type of coming.

OMG I can't believe it.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It looks like the herringbone is yellow now instead of white.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Home Run Martin, you did good! And great job FINALLY getting rid of those ugly and heavy Grover Rotomatics. Was long overdue.

Brencat, I was so pumped when I saw the changes to the D-35, but then I looked and they’re keeping Rotomatics on it. I was going to GAS pretty hard for the new D-35 but I think I’ll be looking at a new HD-28 due to those tuners.
Old 01-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Yeah...I don't get that at all? Why not open back tuners on the 35's?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post

I agree. I’d be interested in open backs on the 35s. I didn’t realize that they had updated the HD-35 too. Now I’m delusional with GAS.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Excess inventory or a contract to finish working through?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoscarpaco View Post
Brencat, I was so pumped when I saw the changes to the D-35, but then I looked and they’re keeping Rotomatics on it. I was going to GAS pretty hard for the new D-35 but I think I’ll be looking at a new HD-28 due to those tuners.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I agree. I’d be interested in open backs on the 35s. I didn’t realize that they had updated the HD-35 too. Now I’m delusional with GAS.
I saw that guys, and my only guess as to why they’re keeping the Rotos on the 35s is nothing more than tradition. While style 18 and style 28 guitars had open geared butterbean tuners at various points in their history, style 35 guitars (including the M36) always came with Rotomatics.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-11-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Two questions.

Does this tuner change apply to the 18 series models that have already been updated?

How do these Schaller tuning machines compare to the Grover tuners that have been shipping on the previously updated models (and the 15 series)?
Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Had these changes been made in 2012 to these other models, I would have saved a good deal of money I used creating couple customs. If I did not own the customs, these new standards would suit me fine directly off the shelf.
I think this move is big win for Martin and will show in sales.

I am sure some of the older or more traditional players would prefer beefier necks and standard tapers but it seems that Martin has given in to the new direction of the modern acoustic.

Besides the traditional guys that enjoy the bigger necks have all those wonderful Authentics to play. And that makes me jealous because those old necks are uncomfortable for me and I guess some other players also.

Luckily last year the made the LE 2017 Martin Outlaw that used many authentic features with a modern MLO neck. I was one of the first players to throw my money in to buy one and I cherish it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion