The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-25-2017, 01:02 PM

Thanks, that made my day!...

You know, I'm not sure I could trust a guy who didn't like John Prine...
Old 08-25-2017, 01:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Thanks, that made my day!...

You know, I'm not sure I could trust a guy who didn't like John Prine...
Amen, Brudda. He has certainly secured a place in my Americana heart.

sm
Old 08-26-2017, 08:11 AM

Thanks for sharing. John''s self depreciating humor and song introductions could easily fill an album or two on there own!
Old 09-01-2017, 11:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_mangum View Post
Thanks for sharing. John''s self depreciating humor and song introductions could easily fill an album or two on there own!
There's no question in my mind that JP could have become one of the great standup comedians in America if he wanted to.

sm
Old 09-22-2017, 12:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just had to bump this again, for all you hard-core Prine fans.

memmer
Old 09-22-2017, 05:10 PM

I told this story in another thread but JP dedicated Souvenirs to my recently deceased sister, Donna. My bro sent JP a special request and he did it. It's on YouTube. Hershey PA earlier this year. I've been a Prine fan since the early 70's. Now, my entire family are fans too. He is the best.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch2017 View Post
I told this story in another thread but JP dedicated Souvenirs to my recently deceased sister, Donna. My bro sent JP a special request and he did it. It's on YouTube. Hershey PA earlier this year. I've been a Prine fan since the early 70's. Now, my entire family are fans too. He is the best.
JP is just the best.

Winch, does that YT vid include the spoken dedication to your sister? If so, could you post it here? I'm sure many others than me would like to hear that.

My condolences and sympathy to you and your family.

take care,
scott
Old 09-27-2017, 03:38 PM

Nice. The careful listener will note that Jason Wilber was lurking in the background playing the nice guitar parts this time. Surprised John didn't work that in
Old 09-28-2017, 01:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
Nice. The careful listener will note that Jason Wilber was lurking in the background playing the nice guitar parts this time. Surprised John didn't work that in
Jim, sorry I didn't notice. Will go back and look. Jason has been with him forever and does a terrific job as his right-hand man. Nobody like Steve Goodman, but Jason's work is top-notch.

Thanks for noticing, Jim,

Scott Memmer
Old 09-28-2017, 06:01 PM

This must be the video Winch2017 mentioned. Thanks for the heads up on that. Must have been a special night for you and your family.

And as good as that JP signature Martin looks (and sounds), the only guitar I ever want to see him play is his old '68 D-28. It's been to hell and back and isn't as pretty as it once was, but it sounds great and is still going strong. Kind of like John himself.

Edit: Looks like there's a problem with the video, so if it doesn't clear up, here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV51YeOBCcQ

"Dreamin' just comes natural, like the first breath from a baby"
Old 09-28-2017, 09:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
This must be the video Winch2017 mentioned. Thanks for the heads up on that. Must have been a special night for you and your family.

And as good as that JP signature Martin looks (and sounds), the only guitar I ever want to see him play is his old '68 D-28. It's been to hell and back and isn't as pretty as it once was, but it sounds great and is still going strong. Kind of like John himself.

Edit: Looks like there's a problem with the video, so if it doesn't clear up, here's the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV51YeOBCcQ
If I were John, I'd no longer take that '68 on the road. I know what you're saying, but that things an heirloom by now. Can you imagine the number of great songs that have been written on that thing?

I hear ya.

scott
Old 09-28-2017, 10:25 PM

I've told this here before, but a few years ago I saw John at Red Rocks and just before showtime, a gust of wind blew over the stand that held the '68 and snapped off the headstock. The roadie had a brief conversation with John as he took the stage, who didn't really show any reaction that I could see, and then he immediately launched into a couple songs. Before the third song, though, he stopped to explain that his oldest and dearest guitar had taken a header, but he was sure it would be back in action soon enough and probably sound better than ever. And he dedicated the next song to that great old guitar: Souvenirs.

I can't imagine a better way to handle the situation.

"Dreamin' just comes natural, like the first breath from a baby"
Old 09-29-2017, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Jim, sorry I didn't notice. Will go back and look. Jason has been with him forever and does a terrific job as his right-hand man. Nobody like Steve Goodman, but Jason's work is top-notch.
Jason never shows up on the video, but I assume it's him. It becomes pretty obvious about halfway through that it's not just John playing.

Switching topics a little, there was a brief thread over on the mandolin cafe harping about Pat McLaughlin, who seems to be the 4th member of his band lately. Last year Pat was with him when I saw them pass through Worcester. I certainly could have done without Pat's presence. Among other reasons, Jason plays way better mando than Pat. And without all the distracting visuals. But I get he's a buddy and they've written songs together.

In any case, that show was the best I've ever seen John perform in the 10 years I've started watching him.
Old 10-04-2017, 02:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_G View Post
Jason never shows up on the video, but I assume it's him. It becomes pretty obvious about halfway through that it's not just John playing.

Switching topics a little, there was a brief thread over on the mandolin cafe harping about Pat McLaughlin, who seems to be the 4th member of his band lately. Last year Pat was with him when I saw them pass through Worcester. I certainly could have done without Pat's presence. Among other reasons, Jason plays way better mando than Pat. And without all the distracting visuals. But I get he's a buddy and they've written songs together.

In any case, that show was the best I've ever seen John perform in the 10 years I've started watching him.
Jim, I don't like to bash anyone, but my impression was much the same about the fourth band member. It's pretty clear they're old buddies, but he does bounce around a great bit, which I found a distraction.

My wife and I were fortunate to see JP and band about two years ago, and it was the best show I've ever seen in about ten shows through the years. It was a true clinic in songwriting.

Cheers!
Scott
Old 10-09-2017, 12:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sad99 View Post
I've told this here before, but a few years ago I saw John at Red Rocks and just before showtime, a gust of wind blew over the stand that held the '68 and snapped off the headstock. The roadie had a brief conversation with John as he took the stage, who didn't really show any reaction that I could see, and then he immediately launched into a couple songs. Before the third song, though, he stopped to explain that his oldest and dearest guitar had taken a header, but he was sure it would be back in action soon enough and probably sound better than ever. And he dedicated the next song to that great old guitar: Souvenirs.

I can't imagine a better way to handle the situation.
Johnny is a class act all the way. Now that Martin has produced the new John Prine D-28, I believe John has retired his old '68 to the farm in Nashville and now gigs with the new one.

Thought you folks might get a kick of John dancin' at a recent show. What a crackup.

https://www.facebook.com/fwhelanprin...4268201252168/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion