The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-03-2017, 11:45 AM

Default NGD: Seagull Coastline Momentum Concert Hall

I haven't been active on AGF very much in the past few years, so first a brief introduction... because I think some context will be helpful here.

About Me

I'm a (former) fingerstyle guitarist--mostly original instrumental music and arrangements of Celtic tunes. During the 2000's, I was performing and recording regularly. I somehow managed to release 4 CDs on an established label and even published a songbook for Celtic Guitar... which I thought was pretty cool for a part-time "hobby" player.

During that time, I got to play and own a significant number of high-end guitars, including several custom hand-built guitars (one of my former Hamblin SJ guitars, for example, is currently listed for sale here by another AGF member).

Then, for various reasons, I pretty much stopped playing about 7-8 years ago. First I stopped performing and recording, and then I stopped playing altogether. I started selling off all my guitars after they'd sat unplayed for months.

Since then, I've had a couple of brief periods where I thought I wanted to play again. I'd buy a guitar, play for a couple weeks, then the cycle repeated: the guitar would sit unplayed for an extended period, and I'd sell it.

For some reason, playing just stopped being fun.

Recently, I got the itch to start playing again. It's too early to tell if this will be another "false start," or if I'll resume playing regularly again. But so far, I'm having more fun playing than I have in a long time. So we'll see...

Sorry for the long intro, but again, I think knowing where I'm coming from will give some context for what follows.

The Search Begins

So... once I decided I wanted to start playing again, the next step was to find a guitar.

Based on my recent history of "false starts"--and the fact that I no longer have steady income from music (which always financed my guitar purchases in the past), I needed to set my sights on what I would have previously considered "beater" or "couch" guitars. I was determined to find the most appealing guitar I could on a tight budget.

One of the places I started looking, of course, was the AGF classifieds. Lots of good options there, but none were exactly what I was looking for (outside of the previously mention Hamblin SJ... but that was a few thousand dollars above my new budget!).

I figured I'd have to compromise somewhere, especially with a limited budget. I made of list of the main things I was looking for in a guitar, and tried to put them in order of importance--then I planned to research what was out there in my price range that checked off as many of these boxes as possible.

Here's the list I made of the features I was looking for:
  • 1-3/4" (or wider) nut, which I prefer for fingerstyle
  • Small (OM-ish) body size for comfort
  • Cedar top (solid, of course... but I knew laminate b/s would probably be necessary in my price range). Always loved the tone of cedar tops...
  • 25-1/2" scale length, because I like longer scales for the dropped tunings I use almost exclusively
  • Finally, the "intangibles"... I knew I'd be buying an inexpensive guitar, but I didn't want a "cheap" guitar. Had to be well-made, and from a respectable brand.

There aren't a whole lot of options at $500 or so that hit all of these. From previous experience, one of the first guitars I knew would make the list was a Seagull Folk model.

I used a Seagull Folk as my "couch" guitar in the past (probably wrote half of my songs on that guitar), so I knew it would work. It met most of my criteria--the scale length being the exception--and I didn't think I'd find a better option. But I took a few extra days to look around, just to be sure.

The Search Ends

In my search, I stumbled across a brand new Seagull model that was just announced at NAMM this year. It's so new that it doesn't even show up on the Seagull website yet.

The Coastline Momentum Concert Hall HG.

When I found this model, I couldn't believe my fortune... it was almost as if Seagull created a "Jim Tozier Signature" guitar. It had everything I wanted and fell in my price range.

The "Momentum" series (which currently consists of only two models: dreadnaught and the concert hall), takes the already popular Coastline series guitars and adds a high gloss finish, a new pickguard design, and a Fishman Sonitone pickup.

Perfect. I like the "OM" shape of the Concert Hall model better than the "classical-inspired" shape of the Folk, so it really couldn't get any better. The Concert Hall model also has the longer 25.5" scale length which makes it perfect for my dropped tunings.

I ordered one immediately.

The Verdict

The Seagull arrived yesterday, and actually exceeded my expectations. From my previous experience with Seagulls, I knew it would be a great value and would sound really nice... but I didn't expect it to sound as full and rich as it does.

How good? Well... I think my recording and performing days are probably behind me, but I wouldn't have any qualms at all about bringing this one in the studio or on stage.

Is it my favorite guitar ever? No... of course it's not going to compete with some of the top-end guitars I've had the privilege of owning or playing.

Is it my favorite $500 guitar? Absolutely. Hands-down. Not even close. I might even call it my favorite $1k-and-under guitar.

In any case, it couldn't have been a better fit for my style, preferences, and budget. The perfect guitar at the right time.

Here's the only picture I've taken so far:

Had a hard time putting it down last night (which is why there's only one picture). Just an absolute blast to play.

And that's the main thing. I'm having fun again, and hope it lasts this time.

We'll see. Hopefully I'll still be playing (and posting) 6 months from now.

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-03-2017, 11:48 AM

Ooooh. Super nice. I'm a big Seagull (and Godin) fan. That looks super sweet. Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:08 PM

I have owned a few Godin guitars, an S&P, A&L and a 5th Avenue. Godin make very good guitars and I'm glad you found one that fits your needs. I also hope you continue to find playing fun.
Old 05-03-2017, 01:28 PM

Very nice guitar! Enjoy!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 05-03-2017, 01:43 PM

Jim, your arrangements are great. They are several finger style artists on youtube covering your arrangements.

Thanks for sharing your story with us. Many of us can relate to very long hiatus from music. I hope this is the catalyst for you to return to music.

These new models look like a terrific evolution of their design. I've always been a fan of their workmanship, good tone, and quality/value. Folks who would dismiss them based on price would be mistaken.

Best of luck!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

That's great looking, congrats!
Old 05-03-2017, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I have your Celtic book in my book case on my "work on this again soon" stack. It's good to see you posting again and congrats on the new guitar.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-03-2017, 01:57 PM

Hey Jim, have they changed the string spacing at the saddle any from the previous Seagull specs?

Since you're a fingerstyle guy and so happy, I'm crossing my fingers they have widened the spacing...
Old 05-03-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Jim, your arrangements are great. They are several finger style artists on youtube covering your arrangements.
Thanks! It's been pretty cool to see so many people enjoying the arrangements and posting their versions on YouTube.

My kids are too young to remember when I used to play a lot, but they think it's really neat to search my name on YouTube and see all the players who've learned tunes from my book.

The funny thing is they were shocked to find out that my music is on iTunes ("Dad... that means you were legit"), but I've had my framed CDs hanging on my office wall for as long as they can remember, and those don't bring any comment at all. Maybe they don't know what a CD is.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-03-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
Hey Jim, have they changed the string spacing at the saddle any from the previous Seagull specs?

Since you're a fingerstyle guy and so happy, I'm crossing my fingers they have widened the spacing...
I don't know... and Seagull's website no longer mentions anything, either. (Although I like the new site design, I miss the detailed specs they used to have.)

I'll measure it soon and let you know.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 05-03-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have your Celtic book in my book case on my "work on this again soon" stack. It's good to see you posting again and congrats on the new guitar.
Thanks Barry! Nice to hear from a familiar name, since you were a regular poster back when I was on AGF daily.

Of course, at that time you probably only had a few hundred posts.

www.jimtozier.com
Old 01-18-2018, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Great story, Jim. I take it by your signature that you were so smitten by your Seagull that you bought two more just for alternative tunings? Just curious!
Old 01-18-2018, 02:54 PM

Great review. I do not own a Seagull (yet) but that may just change after your post. They are indeed known to be amazing value for the money and excellent guitar even when you take the "value" equation out of the picture. Thanks for posting.
Old 01-18-2018, 05:43 PM

Love my gulls.
seagull mjm6
alvarez mfa66CE
recording king ro-310
Taylor 312ce IBANEZ AF95FM
Old 08-14-2018, 08:16 PM

Default Do they still make these?

Hi All,

New to the forum (but long time reader). Your post + my love of my Seagull Coastline Folk inspired me to order one of these. I have wanted a Seagull in an OM for a while and everything I’ve read about this model says it’s a winner.

I ordered mine about 3 months ago and it’s been on backorder ever since. Bought it from Music & Arts, but it seems like it’s on backorder everywhere. And, it’s not mentioned anywhere on the Seagull website (only the dread is listed).

Does anyone know if it’s been discontinued? Anybody manage to get their hands on one recently? Maybe it’s just highly in demand?

Thanks!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion