The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-02-2008, 08:48 PM

I had a Crate CA60D that sounded pretty good... close to your price range, I think.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:20 AM

I have owned and used the following acoustic amps: Fender Acousticsonic(the one with 80 watts), a Carvin AG100, and an Ultrasound Ag50.

The Fender sounded great for my vocals, but was too brittle and bright for my twelve string Guild, so I sold it.

My Carvin Ag100 sounded great when it worked, but I had two because one cut in and out so much, they sent me another one. The second one did the same thing. All in all, it sounds great, but reliability and customer support was D- to F+.

The Ultrasound Ag50, even though its only 50 watts, sound full and clean, and even has a suprisingly good bottom, even for the eights.

In my opinion, the Carvin, though a great sounding amp, is a craps shoot.

Go with the Ultrasound.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 AM

For acoustics, I have two Fender Acoustasonic Jrs with DSP, a Trace Elliot TA100R, Genz Shen Jr and Genz Acoustic Pro, and an AAD Cub. I also use a pedal board designed for my acoustic gigs, the main feature of which is a Zoom A2, so most of these amps are used with relatively flat EQ. For most venues, I'll use the AAD as a monitor and plug the house XLR directly into the pedals. If there is no house PA, then I might use the Genz Acoustic Pro unless it is a small venue, in which event I'll still use the AAD. It is small and lightweight, very convenient to transport and handle, and hand-made in the states. They're probably out of your price range, however, and not easy to find. If I'm on the road, then I'll add the Trace because I have a custom ATA case for it. For value, I would highly recommend the Genz Shen Jr. or for a few dollars more, and certainly within your price range, the Acoustasonic Jrs with DSP. If you're using your own effects chain, then you may not need DSP and effects in an amp except for practicing, jamming. If you're playing out live, then I would also recommend an amp with an XLR out so you can easily connect to the house board. If transporting and handling heavy equipment is an issue, and if it isn't now it will be some day, then keep in mind that lighter is better. We all have a tendency to buy way more amp than we really need.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 AM

In regards to the Ultrasound being clear, no tone color, that may be an accurate description, but for my ears the Ultrasounds do slightly color the sound or at least warm it up a bit. In contrast, my Loudbox 100 sounds brittle and "too" clear.

Jack
Old 10-03-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackstrat View Post
In regards to the Ultrasound being clear, no tone color, that may be an accurate description, but for my ears the Ultrasounds do slightly color the sound or at least warm it up a bit. In contrast, my Loudbox 100 sounds brittle and "too" clear.

Jack
Did you try turning down the tweeter on your Loudbox 100? That should "warm it up" a bit.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:

Jack
What kind of pickup system are you using with your loudbox?
Old 10-03-2008, 12:39 PM

Regarding the Loudbox tweeter, I played with the little knob on the back but really did not hear a significant difference. Have not played with lately though. I have since learned that for each guitar, each pickup you have to adjust the "EQ" to reduce feedback, reduce quack, and find the "sweet spot" so to speak. Something I don't seem to have to do with the little Ultrasound.

Regarding pickups, two guitars are equipped with K&Ks, the Alvarez has the proprietary Alv #600 UST, the Larrivee has a LR Baggs Element and an LR Baggs M1 (since I dislike the quackiness of the LR Baggs Element).

Jack
Old 10-04-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:

Jack
I've tried out the Genz Benz, Fender Acoustasonic, Marshall AS50, Roland AC60, as well as the Fishman Loudboxes. I still think Ultrasound out performs them hands down, especially the Fender amps. Clean and clear tone. Yes, I agree it is much warmer than the others. Not certain if you could call that coloring or not. But rhere is no brittle or harshness to it at all with either my 414ce LTD with ES or my 514ce with a Baggs Element Onboard.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 10-04-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I've tried out the Genz Benz, Fender Acoustasonic, Marshall AS50, Roland AC60, as well as the Fishman Loudboxes. I still think Ultrasound out performs them hands down, especially the Fender amps. Clean and clear tone. Yes, I agree it is much warmer than the others. Not certain if you could call that coloring or not. But rhere is no brittle or harshness to it at all with either my 414ce LTD with ES or my 514ce with a Baggs Element Onboard.
The Ultrasound amps must be very good... I read nothing but positive reports on those here on the Forum
Old 10-04-2008, 08:08 AM

Probably the only amp I'll use. I use their DI Plus as well. a great box that is built like a tank and can handle just about any situation you throw at it.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification