The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-24-2008, 11:26 PM

Default Taylor electronics help

I have a '96 Taylor 812c that originally came without electronics. A little while ago I put in a K&K pure western mini. This pickup sounds fantastic, but no matter what I do, it feeds back really bad when I play out. I have tried it through my amp and a PA. I have a LR Baggs Para DI and tried to tweak out the bad frequencies, and couldn't do it. I wasn't even playing too loud. I'm sure that some of you could probably figure this out, but I don't think that it should be this much work to get a good sound. My question is, should I go with installing a new ES system in it? Has anyone here had feedback problems with it? I have tried the ES in other guitars, and generally liked the sound although when I play single note lines, it sounds kind of "nasaly". Can this nasal sound be EQ'd out. Has anyone here compared both systems to each other. Thanks for all input.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:06 AM

Have you tried one of those sound hole blockers?

vtg
Old 09-25-2008, 11:49 AM

If you like the pickup system you have, you could try using a Sabine FBX Solo feedback reducer. Mine works well at minimizing or eliminating feedback in most situations.

It works by automatically identifying the feedback frequencies and attenuating them with one of eight narrow-band, notch filters (1/10 of an octave). Since it is a dynamic system, it can compensate on the fly for changes during a performance as when a performer moves about the stage.

http://sabine.com/ (Select Pro Audio then scroll half way down the page.)
Old 09-26-2008, 09:56 AM

Any more opinions on the ES system vs. K&K? Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:10 AM

Duane,

Be patient and you can figure out the K&K -- feedback is an issue many acoustic guitar players have to deal with. When I plug in at my church, it is usually solo so I don't have to worry about feedback at my volume levels.

Using a sound-hole cover (reduces sound going back into the guitar to get re-amplified by the K&K) and by EQ'ing the low-bass down (or engaging a low-signal pass, if your sound system has one) should take care of the feedback. But lots of people here use K&K on stage and can help you better than I.

I'm about 99% sure that IF you like the natural sound of the K&K, you will NOT be satisfied with the ES system -- IMO, the ES sounds too metallic, electric, and not woody.

2006 Martin 0000-28H
2001 Taylor Baby-R
-------------------------
Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 AM

I agree. The ES system is just not worth using at all.

Taylor 2009 DDSM Custom Build; LR Baggs Hex (Comes with the DDSM)

R. Taylor Style 1, Short Scale Neck, Adi Top, Madagascar Sides/Back, LR Baggs Anthem: 2010

Taylor BTO; 814C Florentine. Adi top and bracing. AA grade EIR, Gotoh tuners. Honeyburst top. No electronics (installed LR Baggs Anthem) Tropical Vine Inlay
Old 09-29-2008, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quanah1953 View Post
I agree. The ES system is just not worth using at all.
I disagree. I might not have disagreed depending on how you would have qualified your post. To my ears and given my technique, The Expression System is the best factory installed pickup system in terms of high fidelity. Actually, I haven't played any aftermarket system that better reproduced the actual tone of the guitar but there are a few I have yet to try.

Last edited by Herb Hunter; 10-07-2008 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Typographical mistake
Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 AM

I installed a K&K PWM on my guitar that's been very proned to feedback. But it hasn't been an issue since the K&K install. I don't know all the issues, but I'm pretty sure it mainly has to do with where the monitors (or speakers) are facing. I play in a church band and we often play pretty loud. I make sure that the monitor is off to my left, and I havn't had a problem yet. This might be a stupid question but, are you facing the amp towards you when you playout? Do you use floor monitors?

Soli Deo Gloria!

Tak Jumbo N20C "Judy"
Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 PM

True...everyones perception and tonal desire is different. I should have said that I personally dont care for the ES system.

Taylor 2009 DDSM Custom Build; LR Baggs Hex (Comes with the DDSM)

R. Taylor Style 1, Short Scale Neck, Adi Top, Madagascar Sides/Back, LR Baggs Anthem: 2010

Taylor BTO; 814C Florentine. Adi top and bracing. AA grade EIR, Gotoh tuners. Honeyburst top. No electronics (installed LR Baggs Anthem) Tropical Vine Inlay

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification