The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Default electric guitar + pedal into acoustic amp?

Hi there,

First off, the search function is only returning a blank page for me, so apologies if this has already come up in the past.

Is there any real reason why one couldn't use an acoustic guitar amp (in my case, Behringer ACX900) with an electric guitar and wahtever pedals?

Since the amp would more or less be a "clean" sound, would it make sense to just get a multieffects pedal or tube screamer, whatever, to put in-line with an electric guitar?

Or is it that the signal from the electric rig might be too high for an acoustic amp to work with?

I know there must be a reason, at least I hope so, because I really have my eye on the Vox AD30VT!!

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 PM

you'd just want to run it with some type of cabinet simulator which is built in to most multi effects units. If you're just using a bunch of standard stomp boxes into an acoustic amp it probably isn't going to sound very good, unless you're going for a very clean sound.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM

You will need a pedal with an amp and speaker modeling. I have been using an Digitech RP250 and an RP100 before that every since I have been playing electric. I have plugged those into a keyboard amp which would have similar results to plugging into an acoustic amp. Another option, if you want to use separate effects pedals, would be to use one of the Tech 21 Character series pedals.

Seagull Artist Series Mosiac w/K&K Western

Godin SDxt (GFS Vintage '59 humbuckers, GFS Premium Overwound single coil) --> Digitech RP250

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification