The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

I had one in red from the mid '80s built in TX, Fender sued Schecter for the use of their tele headstock shape.

I remember that guitar as my least favorite T-style guitar I've owned of many. Very heavy and the pickups sounded bad, the bane of splittable humbuckers, didn't sound good in either configuration. Other than that (!) the playability was decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
I had a Schecter "Diamond Series" PT that was a straight-forward, black double-bound tele clone containing two hot HB pickups with a push/pull tone control for coil-splitting. It was a great player, looked cool, sounded amazing, but weighed as much as a Norlin Les Paul, so out the door it went...
Old 01-18-2018, 02:55 PM

I am the proud owner of a circa 2003-ish Schecter C-1 Blackjack.

Full binding on the body, fretboard and headstock, all mahogany, set neck, Tone Pros bridge, Grover tuners, real Seymour Duncans (JB and '59)... all stock!

The thing rings and sustains like a beast! Very Les Paul and PRS-like because of the woods and build. I would say the build, finish, and fret work are all above average. I paid $850 new for it back when I bought it, now the exact guitar can be had for ~$250 on the used market. The pickups tuners and bridge are almost worth that! I still play it a couple times per week.

Last edited by ii Cybershot ii; 01-18-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2018, 04:46 PM

I always liked their old-school Fender-style guitars, from the 70s and 80s before they went nu-metal. Their Townsend Teles and the Knopfler Strats are pretty cool guitars with exotic woods, brass/aluminum parts, and tapped pickups. Really neat guitars if you don't require an authentic "vintage" sound.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 01-18-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I am the proud owner of a circa 2003-ish Schecter C-1 Blackjack.

Full binding on the body, fretboard and headstock, all mahogany, set neck, Tone Pros bridge, Grover tuners, real Seymour Duncans (JB and '59)... all stock!

The thing rings and sustains like a beast! Very Les Paul and PRS-like because of the woods and build. I would say the build, finish, and fret work are all above average. I paid $850 new for it back when I bought it, now the exact guitar can be had for ~$250 on the used market. The pickups tuners and bridge are almost worth that! I still play it a couple times per week.
I'd pay $250 for that Blackjack. That's one you gotta hold on to.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

I have one of those Telecastery looking Schecters. It's black, with a maple board & neck. It looks like a Pete Townsen model, but only says "Diamond Series" on the headstock. It's heavier than a Tele, but the neck is a lot wider, which is why I bought it.... Most Fender necks are just too small for me...

I've had it for over ten years, but only gigged with it one time. It was my 1st electric performance in since the early 70s. I'm just not an electric guitar playing kind of guy......

Don
Old 01-25-2018, 07:27 AM

I had a Schecter Strat back when they just made parts. I don't recall it being anything special, very heavy probably rosewood body. They shifted production to Korea in the late 1990's, only very few custom shop guitars made in California.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:14 AM
Guest 1928

The import Schecters and the old Fender-style US built ones share the same name and not much else. I've always liked the Mary Kaye Strats and when I found this Schecter in that color scheme I grabbed. It's from about 1986 and just a few years old when I bought it. I don't play electric a lot these days, but this one's always ready to go when I want it.

I took this photo to show the strap I made. I'll look for a full photo of the guitar.

Old 01-25-2018, 02:38 PM

I recently bought a Schecter C-1 that I plan on gutting and re-wiring with Seymour Duncan P-Rails. It currently has EMG active pickups, not my style, but it sure does play great, and it sounds good for what it is. I certainly think that they are a great value for electric guitars out there.

Eddie Vedder went through a serious Pete Townshend fanboy phase where he was playing original Schecter PTs through a Hiwatt halfstack. It was a pretty killer combo.
Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiG50 View Post
I recently bought a Schecter C-1 that I plan on gutting and re-wiring with Seymour Duncan P-Rails. It currently has EMG active pickups, not my style, but it sure does play great, and it sounds good for what it is. I certainly think that they are a great value for electric guitars out there.

Eddie Vedder went through a serious Pete Townshend fanboy phase where he was playing original Schecter PTs through a Hiwatt halfstack. It was a pretty killer combo.
What C-1 is it? I have a C-1 Plus and a C-1 Classic (with vine inlay).
Old 01-27-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What C-1 is it? I have a C-1 Plus and a C-1 Classic (with vine inlay).
Mine is a Diamond series.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:54 PM

Here's my C1-Classic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars