The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-23-2014, 12:12 PM

Default Need some Ukulele advice

I've been wanting to play the uke for a while and my lovely wife bought me a new uke for my birthday last week. She bought the $40 guitar center kohala soprano uke. I enjoyed learning a few a chords on it, but this thing never stays in tune. I'll tune it and play for a couple minutes and it constantly goes out of tune.

Do I just have a crappy instrument? She told me before she gave it to me that I could exchange it for another one since she's clueless about instruments. Are there recommendations for anything in the sub $100 range? I believe I'd like to get a tenor uke since they look bigger and seem to have more volume. The biggest thing I'm looking for right now is something that has decent intonation and stays in tune more so than tone right now.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.
Old 03-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post
I've been wanting to play the uke for a while and my lovely wife bought me a new uke for my birthday last week. She bought the $40 guitar center kohala soprano uke. I enjoyed learning a few a chords on it, but this thing never stays in tune. I'll tune it and play for a couple minutes and it constantly goes out of tune.

Do I just have a crappy instrument? She told me before she gave it to me that I could exchange it for another one since she's clueless about instruments. Are there recommendations for anything in the sub $100 range? I believe I'd like to get a tenor uke since they look bigger and seem to have more volume. The biggest thing I'm looking for right now is something that has decent intonation and stays in tune more so than tone right now.

A few things, friction tuners on the Kohala? If so, you can tighten the screw. The other issue is nylon strings. If there are more than 2-3 winds around the post, that's a recipe for a week of re-tuning. When installing strings, bring them up to the post, no slack, and lock them as on a steel string guitar. When they finally settle, you'll have 2-4 winds around the post. You can also stretch the string, lift up on it around the 12th fret. If you notice the pegs turning when you do this, definitely snug them up a bit via the screw.

A very nice inexpensive uke, among many, is the new Gretsch. Pretty impressed with the build and the intonation/playability. You'll get many more suggestions, equally good. Mainland, Kala, etc. Sub 100 ukes are sorta like sub 100 guitars, you really do get what you pay for.

Fun eh? If you do end up with a tenor, lots like low G, but if you keep that high G you'll find a lot of neat stuff you can't do with a low.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 PM

I would agree with advice on Gretsch ukes. They are good ukes. Also, if Kala ukes are available I would look into those as well. (Kala has a more budget line called Makala, those are more hit and miss)

I usually suggest folks spend at least $100 for a starter uke and maybe a bit north of that anymore. You can find playable ones for less but it's harder to do. Take a tuner with you or ask the front desk for one and check each note on the fretboard for intonation if you want. Wouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to do. (if you hit what seems a bum note check a couple of more times to make sure that you're not fretting it sharp when you play it; easy to do on a small uke with nylon strings)

Also, run your finger alongside the fretboard to check for sharp fret ends, a decent uke that's been finished and cared for properly should feel fairly smooth.

Anyway, have fun!
Old 03-24-2014, 10:35 AM

I would also suggest spending more, but you don't have to go crazy for a decent instrument.

Along with the brands suggested, Lanikai (Hohner) makes pretty good starter ukes $100-200.

I have a Lanikai that holds its own next to my $800 Pono.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

I bought my daughter a $60 Ibanez ukulele. It appears to be all solid mahogany. It stays in tune and sounds great.

SMall pieces of wood are exponentially less expensive., I love that about ukes.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-24-2014, 03:34 PM

Nylon strings take a couple of weeks to stretch and settle in, if kept tuned up to pitch. Initially you tune the first string and by the time you've tuned the fourth string, #1 is out of tune again. did I mention that I am reluctant to change nylon strings (on uke or guitar)?

This is true regardless of quality level of the instrument, or the brand of strings. Do lots of gentle string stretching, and give each tuner an extra half or full turn when putting it away overnight, at least for the first week. That way you will only be two frets low the next day. American standard tuning is GCEA, but Europe and Canada uses the higher ADF#B tuning -- all using the same strings. The instruments can safely handle the extra tension.

Last edited by Earl49; 03-26-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 PM

Thanks lot guys. I'll give it a chance to see if it's the strings stretching that won't stay in tune. I don't think the tuners are friction tuners, they're open gear style. It does have rough fret ends at the bottom.

An alternative I've been looking at is the Kala KA S or KA T. Does anyone have any input on those two? I'll also look at the other suggestions. I'd just like to have something that sounds decent and keeps tune and if really stick with the uke I'll get a more expensive solid wood one down the road.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:47 PM

I found a Kala A/E concert uke at a local store, and decided to put it on layaway. I'm really looking forward to the day I take it out of the store...
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussL30 View Post

I love my Kala Tenor Solid Acacia Slotted Headstock and could not recommend it more highly. She's on the left. Very good tone and very well built.

I do not like the Lanikai (On the right.)

A tenor size is much more versatile than the soprano or concert sizes. Check out AmericanMusical.com Everyone approved.
Lanikai CKT Tenor Ukulele

"She won't care what I played it on. After I'm gone, she'll just remember the love in the song." Brudda Dakine
Old 03-31-2014, 01:33 PM

check out Mainland Ukes.
Maybe a few dollars more, but quality stuff and great folks. They often have blems for much less

I like my tenor (the tenors a bit more than the soporanos)
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 04-02-2014, 02:29 AM

I like the Pono which I purchased for my sister.Cost :$150.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:44 PM

My husband started with a Kala tenor for about $100 and although a friend now plays it the uke still plays well. (He went for a baritone only because of the size) $40 for even a soprano uke will probably never give you the sound you're hoping for if you're considering a tenor size. There are a number of ukuleles for around $100 that will work well. If you don't mind the size there are Makala Dolphins and Sharks in soprano size for just over $50. (It's worth it to have it "set up".) I still play my dolphin when I want to play something with a more Hawaiian feel and it sounds great and stays in tune. My "go to" uke is a Kamaka Otha-san.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:23 PM

I always tell folks "A uke is about 1/2 the price of a guitar and a mandolin is about twice the price of a guitar."

Thus, a $100 uke is equivalent in quality to a $200 guitar.

Your call.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:54 PM

If you're just starting out, would you consider going into the used market? This would be my recommendation, solely because (similar to guitar) a good instrument really helps get past the initial frustrations (like tuning, high action, etc.). If you could look into the used market, check out:
UU: Ukulele Marketplace
Old 04-02-2014, 10:46 PM

Lots of good advice from others. I also like the idea of going with a used uke if you can and the Ukulele Underground is awesome.

The only thing different I'd suggest is consider a Fluke. Don't be put off by the plastic backs, they're decent. And more importantly, the intonation is good. I downgraded from a KoAloha to a Fluke and have no regrets. While I miss the all koa KoAloha, I didn't play the uke enough to truly justify it.

Good luck! Let us know what you get.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments