The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-15-2013, 07:22 AM

Roger Sadowsky.
Great Bass builder.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Ernie Ball Stingray
Old 10-16-2013, 11:22 AM

Lots of great brands out there. What's your budget, style of music, size of hands?

I'm a bass player first and foremost. Happy to help you out.

bmc
Old 10-16-2013, 03:18 PM

Fender, Ernie Ball Music Man, Sadowsky.....and I'm surprised no one has mentioned Lakland yet. Adam Clayton of U2 plays them.

I also have a Lakland Skyline DJ4 (Darryl Jones Signature Model) upgraded with Chi-Sonic pickups. It's considered one of the best passive jazz basses out there and sounds amazing!

norm <><

http://joyceandnorm.wordpress.com

2003 Taylor 714ce-LTD Cocobolo | Taylor Holden Village GS Mini | Baby Taylor Rosewood | Martin 00-15SM Custom | RainSong Shorty SG-FLE | Kamaka HF-3 | Fishman Loudbox Mini

Old 10-17-2013, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenstrings View Post
Roger Sadowsky.
Great Bass builder.
I have had one of his basses for six years and have not played any new basses since. I found my jewel after 20 basses.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Okay, here goes my feeble attempt at an answer... When I was looking for a bass guitar just to add some BASIC bass rhythm to my recordings, I had two considerations in mind: was the neck stable and was it comfortable to play. Knowing that I have no desire to become a great bass player, price was also a concern. My local music store had a Samick Fairlane for sale for $80 used. The neck seemed good and it was comfortable. The pickups sounded rather warm, which fits my playing nicely. They set it up and out the door I went. It has served me well for what I need. There are a LOT of good used basses on the market.

Todd
Old 10-25-2013, 04:23 AM

Perfect. In the end, you have to be comfortable with it. And at that price, you won.

bmc
Old 03-17-2014, 01:53 PM

If you decide to go Fender, don't be afraid of the Mexican made models. I have two and they are both great basses. There is tons of info on them on Talkbass and most of it is positive. Many bass models are hit and miss, but I like what they say about the MIM's...Mexican Fenders are made in Mexico by Mexicans...American Fenders are made in the USA by Mexicans..go figure. You can find them in great shape in the $300-$400 range.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM

For a first bass a Fender or even a Squire is not a bad idea. I toyed with one for a while before falling in love with an old Mosrite. Then I crossed over to the dark side and bought an upright. I'll still pick up some kind of Fender Jazz bass eventually.

The killer will be your amplification. It takes LOTS more power to move those big drivers and low frequencies. Since I'm a bit of a sicko I've got my head set on an Acoustic bass stack. I'd also love to have something small in the 200 watt range for my upright.

I have yet to find an acoustic bass guitar that sounds like anything at all. If you have to plug it in anyway might as well pop for a Jazz Bass and be a grizzley bear.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:38 PM

Depends of course on your intended use. I'm a busy gigging bassist with a pair of Sadowsky metros. Great quality, pretty versatile, and not so precious that you don't want to gig them.
I general, I find that with bass, ergonomic concerns should rule.
Eastman John Pisano
Gibson Johnny A
Franklin Prairie State
Collings D1A
Old 03-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
I agree, Wade, that a Jazz bass (or a Precision) is the ideal place to start, when buying a first bass.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JBassJJLPB/

The Squier Classic Vibe Jazz - the Classic Vibe is the top series in Fender's Squier line - is a tremendously good value. I have a Classic Vibe P bass, and the both the sound and the fit and finish of it are first-rate. Price doesn't include a case or a gig bag, but, still, it's a steal for under $400 bucks.

You beat me to it. Classic Vibe guitars and basses are bar-none the highest qualityrice ratio I've encountered in 15 years of playing electric guitar and bass. A Classic Vibe J bass is a gig-worthy, quality instrument at an absurd price. I have owned American and Japanese Fenders and the Classic Vibes get it disturbingly right.
Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnstein View Post
...The killer will be your amplification. It takes LOTS more power to move those big drivers and low frequencies. Since I'm a bit of a sicko I've got my head set on an Acoustic bass stack. I'd also love to have something small in the 200 watt range for my upright...
Got your amp right here:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/MB12

I own one and it's my all-purpose bass amp; add another speaker to it (8 ohm only BTW) - they make a 15" in the identical cabinet (http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/115MB), or if you're really as sick as you say they make an 18" that'll go down to 30 Hz (http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/BR118-8) - and you may never need that Acoustic stack...
Old 03-19-2014, 02:08 PM

Try a Music Man Stingray or a Fender P bass or a Jazz bass. G&L makes a nice bass too.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Steve's answer on the first page is really good. Helpful and gets to the point for your first purchase: what do you want to do with it.

Don't forget the pics when you get one!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments