The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-21-2014, 12:24 AM

Close-up:

[IMG][/IMG]

The "lattice" bracing is decoupled from the main bracing:

[IMG][/IMG]

And the completed bracing, with final main brace tapering and feathering out the "lattice" bracing:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-23-2014, 11:24 PM

The siides have the linings glued on, and the back is fit and glued.

[IMG][/IMG]

And a pic of the back. It's hard to tell here, but I actually reverse-tapered the body. It's slightly thinner at the lower bout than the upper bout. I did this to add extra comfort while standing, instead of doing an arm bevel.

[IMG][/IMG]

I glue the transverse brace into the back and side assembly rather than to the soundboard. I find this easier. I also laminated the transverse brace, and it does taper to fit into the linings. The lamination makes it plenty strong, though I leave the ends a lot thicker than the other braces, almost 5/16" at the ends. Also I can clamp it tight to the neck heel extension.

[IMG][/IMG]

Next up: Gluing the top to the back and side assembly, routing binding channels and installing binding, making the neck and bridge. I originally had an ebony board slated for this but I screwed it up, so I will be using Honduras rosewood. I will also be using it for the bridge. The neck will be flame maple with ebony and maple stringers, to match the backstripe. I will veneer the headstock with dropoffs from the back and sides. I also have some Schertler tuners for this guitar, in black. Bridge and nut will be bone. I have some spare bridge pins that match the color of the bone well enough.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:55 PM

In a rare case of complete BS - I switched cell phone providers, and was able to transfer my contacts via my Google account. Great, except I traded in my phone and the memory got wiped, including my pics. So I'll have some update pics soon.

I was happy with the binding. For some reason I had a brain fart and routed off the ends of the end graft and cutaway binding where I wanted to miter the pruflings. I ended up "returning" the purfling on the end graft and cutaway binding into itself, which gave me a look I like. The miters are OK but not perfect; I think I need to start wearing glasses!

The neck had been built and installed. In a nod to the Spanish guitar builders of yore, I glue my bridge on before finishing, so I can string the guitar up and do a little "fine tuning" of the top. I do this before I put the headstock veneers on, so if I don't like the tuner placement I can tweak it a little. I build as I go, so there are no plans other than the body mold and fretboard layout. I "tilted" everything on the headstock to match the angle of the nut. I didn't want fret markers nor side dots nor inlays.

For the fretboard, I put my frets on the fretboard first before gluing down to the neck. I used jumbo fretwire for this one, as I like the feel better.

For finish, I'm using lacquer. I also use lacquer to "pore fill" in this case since the pores aren't too bad, and I like the look better. I cut the lacquer down with xylene so it dries slower and just push it into the wood with a rag.

I should have some pics tomorrow of what I have so far. Pretty excited to get this done, and it shouuldn't be too long...
Old 04-26-2014, 03:51 AM

Enjoying the pictures so far.

Looking forward to seeing it completed.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Enjoying the pictures so far.

Looking forward to seeing it completed.
Thanks! So am I!
Old 04-26-2014, 08:58 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Shame about the phone and loss of pics Louie, keep them coming though as it is interesting to watch and hear what you have to say on it. I am curious about the top brace height at its max height if you don't mind giving out measurements.

Jim
Old 04-27-2014, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Shame about the phone and loss of pics Louie, keep them coming though as it is interesting to watch and hear what you have to say on it. I am curious about the top brace height at its max height if you don't mind giving out measurements.

Jim
Thanks, Jim! I am saving over $70 a month, so it's not all bad!

For my "conventional" braces I size them to 3/4" height. On this guitar, it's about 27/32" or about 3/32" taller than standard. I was able to taper them more radically than my "regular" bracing; they almost come to a sharp point. I spent my post-assembly tuning thinning the braces a little bit more toward the lining. I feel like I can take more out of the pockets; it's amazing how stiff they are considering they're actually lighter than my regular bracing.

Overall the guitar is not the lightest I built, though it's not heavy; I haven't weighed it yet. The double sides and maple neck I feel contributue to the weight. The body however is very resonant and responsivel I really can't believe the amount of sustain I get. Yet it's got some amazing volume. I use 11s and 12s, but on the first stringing I put an old set of 11s I keep in the "shop" for such tasks. I will put the 12s on for final assembly as I hope to explore more open tunings.

Bringiing the guitar into work for a little show-and-tell with a couple friends, so I'll take some pics there. My basement is a disaster zone right now!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:03 AM

OK got some pics. The new phone cam kind of sucks, but at least you can see some pics.

Here's a shot of the guitar:

[IMG][/IMG]

View of the top:

[IMG][/IMG]

Close-up of the Sitka top. Some really nice silking; the top shimmers in person:

[IMG][/IMG]

A view of the spalted maple rosette. Note the banding on the inside of the soundhole, which covers the soundole reinforcement. In actuality the top is less than half that thickness.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-27-2014, 10:17 AM

Here's my current, simplified, compact headstock design. I wanted to modify my previous headstock design to reflect the angle of the nut but was not happy. i just simply beveled the edges with my small hand plane:

[IMG][/IMG]

View of the back. Hard to tell here, but the backstrip purfling returns on itself, rather than into the edge purfling. I thought this worked out well. The miters can be better, and I need to bite the bullet and start wearing glasses (and get better lighting in the shop!)

[IMG][/IMG]

Close-up of the back. This cam kind of washes out the color; it's actually a lot richer in person. The figuring has a nice shimmering 3D effect.

[IMG][/IMG]

A view of the cutaway binding. To continue the theme, I returned the cutaway purfling into itself as well. This proved to be pretty difficult, as the pieces are very small, and the pads of my fingers, not so! I used CA glue to set them in place, and a CA "flood" to get to any imperfections. Oddly, these miters came out better than the backstripe. Also, there's a softer curve on the heel carve on this side, to facilitate comfort; we do a few acoustic jams and I want to still be able to play solos on some 'acoustified" rock stuff!

[IMG][/IMG]

I will be cutting this finish down flat and put my fiinal coats on. It then will be a waiting game for the finish to cure; I wait at least a week, usually more.

Thanks to everyone for checking this out. Hope to have this wrapped up soon. In the mean time, I have some other projects completed and will post some pics soon.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM

Crappy photo of end graft. I'll try to borrow a better camera to take pics when the finishing is done.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-28-2014, 03:30 PM

It's amazing what you can do with rejected pieces of wood. Very beautiful wood work there. Thank you for sharing these pictures.
Old 04-28-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auffenauger View Post
It's amazing what you can do with rejected pieces of wood. Very beautiful wood work there. Thank you for sharing these pictures.
Thank you! Normally I'd try to sand these imperfections out, but I had already thinned these plates close to thickness, and was a bit careless handling them. I'm usually nonchalant in the shop but lately have been guarding my work a bit more carefully!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 AM

Default unusual braces

I've never seen braces like these before. Can you please explain where the idea came from, how you build them and what is the advantage? Thanks, Danny Gray
Old 04-29-2014, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan of SC View Post
I've never seen braces like these before. Can you please explain where the idea came from, how you build them and what is the advantage? Thanks, Danny Gray
Hi Dan! The advantage, at least to me, is having a stiffer brace than my usual, at a lighter weight. This allows me to use a thinner top. The main x brace can still move fine as a unit, as they taper to less than 1/8" at the linings.

There is precedent for laminated bracing, namely early Larson guitars. McPherson guitars also use laminated bracing on their tops, as well as the over-under bracing (though i use it only on the secondary x brace). Kevin Ryan has what he calls EO - engineered openings - in his top braces. These openings are a bit more radical than his, however. I was fascinated by model airplane building as a kid, and the braces kind of resemble the ribs of an airplane wing. And that's an application where strength to weight ratio is critical. At the same time, I didn't want to just make the lightest braces possible; I could have used a ligher core wood, but my thinking is that I'd lose some headroom if I just made them needllessly lighter. So I guess it's a combination of a few influences.

I used a thin, less than .070" piece of flatsawn rosewood, and sandwiched it between two pieices of quartered Sitka. This gives the braces multi-directional strength. They start out at 5/16" at the base and taper to almost nothing. I CNC the pockets out, then assemble and shape the brace roughly before gluing to the top and back. The center is hard enough that I can use my go-bars directly on them without denting them. I should add that a double-x bracing is not unique, though I consider it a form of lattice bracing. I got the idea I believe from Alan Carruth,,,

Last edited by LouieAtienza; 04-29-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:36 PM

I have the finish coats on. I'm abandoning my usual lacquer finish and moving to a 2-part automotive clearcoat that is spray consistancy after mixing, and ready to wet-sand in 24 hours. Since one of my yearly gigs is an outdoor acoustic jam/festival I think this will give me some added protection and peace of mind (and better with the beer spills.)

I've never measured the final thickness but I only need one thin first coat, and a flash coat after 10-15 minutes. I have done a couple electric bodies with this finish but this is the first acoustic. It is crystal clear, and does give a beautiful 3D look without looking plasticky. It is also rock-hard, and I had let some dry in a container a while back, and needed a hammer and screwdriver to smash through it!

I had also roughed out the nut and saddle beforehand. I ordered the wrong tuners and got slot-head tuners, so I will save them for another project, and use some Gotoh open-gear tuners I have on hand.

I also am thinking of adding a passive pickup, and wondering if anyone has suggestions. I was thinking a dual system, with piezo and mic, but honestly this is one area I'm not all too familiar with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair