The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong Parlor Guitar/Gigbag Opinions - Motorcycle Content

I know that we got a number of reviews in the earlier days of Rainsong Parlors, but I was wondering how folks felt now that they've had additional time with them. I've got a Harley touring bike, plan to get a pull behind trailer, and the Rainsong Parlor would appear to be a great traveling accessory. I just signed up for Michael's Parlor Road Trip so I'll get in some actual playing time myself before making a decision. Thoughts???

Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Randy, the Parlor is an amazing guitar that has been very well received but that trailer might require something a bit smaller like a Blackbird Rider.

Nice Harley BTW, I bought my Softail back in 1999 and it has been great fun.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the input, Ted. I love my Harley, and where I live, the riding is amazing. The dimensions for the bed of the trailer are 45" x 27" x 14" and a larger model stretches that to a length of 57". What is the length of the Rainsong Parlor in its case? Could a gig bag make it a little shorter?
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM

Outside dimensions of the supplied hardshell case are 42" in length, 15" at the lower bout, and it's 6" deep. Looks like it will fit and certainly you can reduce that bulk a bit by purchasing a tight fitting gig bag, just depends on what else you are planning to pack.

Just to be on the safe side I think you should buy a Parlor and a Rider.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a lot of bikes over the years (9 H-Ds, including 2 Ultras); we had a Bushtec Turbo II trailer (color matched to the bike) that pulled great, had a good suspension, and would accommodate a parlor size guitar.

Ours had a suitbag holder built into the lid of the trailer and other nice features.

A blast from the past...

Captain Jim
Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Outside dimensions of the supplied hardshell case are 42" in length, 15" at the lower bout, and it's 6" deep. Looks like it will fit and certainly you can reduce that bulk a bit by purchasing a tight fitting gig bag, just depends on what else you are planning to pack.

Just to be on the safe side I think you should buy a Parlor and a Rider.
Thanks for the suggestion. Just out of curiosity, what is the gig bag of choice these days for a Rainsong Parlor?
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-19-2013, 10:38 AM

Looking good Captain. Here is my baby without windshield and bags getting ready for a Sunday cruise.

As far as gig bags, there are many ways to go, I would suggest taking the guitar to a GC or Sam Ash and see what they have that fits it the best.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:57 AM

The Parlor is just a winner, Its been my travel guitar. But besides travel, its just a great guitar. Teds Black Ice version is totally unfair, way cool. I did buy a cheap gig bag to make traveling easier. Rainsong needs to commission a gig bag that fits perfectly. Not as easy to find a fit as you would think!
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I did buy a cheap gig bag to make traveling easier. Rainsong needs to commission a gig bag that fits perfectly. Not as easy to find a fit as you would think!
That's why I was wondering what gig bags have proven to be most optimal, reasonably priced, and fairly readily available...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-14-2013, 11:10 AM

there are a number of companies that custom make gigbags - Glenn Cronkhite, Colorado Case Company, Blue Heron are ones I know of... they are all very nice bags. My #1 Lowden lives in a Cronkhite and I love it. Reasonably priced is a matter of opinion... I think they are all reasonably priced for the quality and the custom nature but they aren't inexpensive.
that's me on guitar
Old 12-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm currently auditioning the MacNichol Road Test Rainsong Parlor and could definitely see a place for one of these in the lineup. I wrote to Elederly Instruments regarding the Boulder Gigbag http://elderly.com/accessories/items/BAG1-TAN.htm and got the following reply:

Thanks for writing. The Boulder 0 bag fits this Rainsong ver nicely and frankly is the best fitting gigbag we have for that guitar. Please let em know if I may assist you further.

Best regards,
-Raoul

Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-17-2014, 09:54 AM

Just bought a Boulder 0 size gig bag and wanted to second earlier posts that it fits the P12 Parlor perfectly. I know this thread is a little old, but it took me awhile to actually buy the gig bag and I am sure this issue is not old.
Sure wish Rainsong would make a branded one specifically for the Rainsong Parlor.
And btw, after several months ownership, I can still say this is a fun amazingly practical instrument that sounds good, stays out, detunes well, and has gotten played all through this humidity-crazed winter.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 02-17-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyg View Post
Just bought a Boulder 0 size gig bag and wanted to second earlier posts that it fits the P12 Parlor perfectly. I know this thread is a little old, but it took me awhile to actually buy the gig bag and I am sure this issue is not old.
Sure wish Rainsong would make a branded one specifically for the Rainsong Parlor.
And btw, after several months ownership, I can still say this is a fun amazingly practical instrument that sounds good, stays out, detunes well, and has gotten played all through this humidity-crazed winter.
Thanks for the update billyg. I'm still looking for a gig bag for my RS Parlor and this one is now at the top of my list.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:41 PM

Lightbulb TRIC case for Parlor

I keep reviving this thread, sorry.
In my continuing saga of trying to determine every case option for a Rainsong Parlor P12, I have found another.
I purchased through Ebay a TRIC "deluxe" case for the Seagull Parlor sized guitar. I was concerned that the body portion would be a little short. However, it fits the P12 like a glove.
I continue to be confused about what TRIC case is getting manufactured by Godin at any particular time. And they are now selling a "multi-fit" case that I didn't think would be a good idea. I did find this specific case designated for a parlor-sized instrument. It has the "deluxe" specification.
This deluxe version has a nicer looking inside than the old TRIC but has a fabric cover over the case and closes using a zipper. It's black inside and out. Not crazy about the zipper.
While it is an odd case, it certainly seems like it would be very impact resistant.
So I now have the original hardshell case that came with the P12, a Boulder gig bag that fits it quite well, and the TRIC Parlor case. I am spoiling my P12.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber