The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-11-2014, 06:47 PM

Default New Uke IZ Here

I picked up the Martin Iz Ukulele. Check out the photos Cigarfan has in his previous post. Excellent quality and styling. The wood grain and the Iz headstock are just beautiful. It sounds great with smooth, excellent playability. I know some folks were looking for this Uke to be a sort of replica of a model Iz played, and I don't believe this is that. Well, if you get a chance to check this one out in person, I think you'll like it very much. I hadn't played a Martin Uke any time near recently, and I am very much impressed with the quality and attention to detail. I don't know if the Iz Uke is anything like the current other Martin offerings, but this one is a winner in about every detail, except perhaps the use of Martin ukulele strings. I don't tend to use Martin ukulele strings on my other Ukes.

This is one sweet Uke!
Old 01-11-2014, 10:29 PM

I had a nice bio of Israel Kamakawiwo`ole and the many pictures of him performing with the Makaha Sons of Ni`ihau and then solo showed him with a half-dozen different instruments, but I understand that the uke on "Somewhere" was a 14 fret Martin tenor in mahogany.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 01-12-2014, 11:11 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Congrats Englishplayer! Awesome uke! We can expect they will get better too!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:56 PM

I just purchased the IZ model, too. At first I was put off by some negative posts on Ukulele Underground, but if I stepped back from those who were disgruntled because it was not a replica (it is a tribute model, not meant to be identical to) IZ's ukuleles, it is one nice ukulele. I personally love peg head tuners. And the fit and finish is very fine. The only thing I don't like is the action, which seems high to me. Where I purchased they told me it was "within Martin specs" but I would like lower action. Anyone tried lowering the action on theirs?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:00 PM

The action on mine is very good. I don't know if the shop I had bought it from already brought it down. They tend to fine tune equipment when it arrives.
Yes, I looked for reviews before I purchased it and the negative reviews were based largely on it not being an exact replica. I found several Initial reviews of the uke that were very good for build quality and playability. I'm really enjoying mine and there's a unique vibe that goes with it. I'm very happy with the purchase.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments