The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-26-2014, 09:43 PM

Default Resonators

Hey guys!

I have always been interested in slide playing and started on a Fender CD-100CE. I love that guitar, but it is just not meant for slide playing, so I got my hands on a Fender FR50 Resonator.

I got a little discouraged because I read horrible reviews about this instrument that for some reason I cannot perceive, things such as horrible sound, cheap instruments, etc...etc.. then again, I reach reviews from 2001 and from the Korean made FR50s, I know this one is crafted in China and the Serial is from a 2014 batch. I love the sound, but still requires some set up, heavier strings, and maybe a different cone.

Now.. I want another one as I was bit by the resonator bug. This time I would like to have a Tricone, but I will not be able to afford a National as I will also be paying for my Pilots course and license. I found Regals RC-51 Tricone and have read mixed reviews for it.

Before I take the plunge, I was wonder if any of you have had experience with the RC-51? I know Regal has a resonator heritage, but I do not know if this instrument is also mass produced and if so.. would it be an okay alternative for a guitarist who can't afford a National for at least the next 15 years?

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:25 AM

I just bought a Gretsch G9220 Bobtail Round-neck last Fall, and I think it's just a great lil' reso, especially considering the price. In the past, I've tried a few Fenders, a Dean, and a few others, but in this price-range, the Gretsch beats them all in my limited experience.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/G9220.htm
Old 03-27-2014, 01:27 AM

Re your Fender, it's all in the fingers. I just love this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-kID-3e2WU

I think the Regal mark is owned by Saga, and nothing to do with the prewar product. I played their tricone a few months ago, and found it a little hard sounding, but I'm used to the more mellow tones of my Beltona. I didn't inspect it closely, but Regals generally seem pretty good, and you can always change the cones. FWIW, I think tricones are the most versatile of the resonator family, and a good choice if you want to try a range of different styles - including fingerpicking with the right set up.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick A. View Post
Regal has a resonator heritage, but I do not know if this instrument is also mass produced
The current "Regal" company has no ties with the Chicago company of the same name, and no heritage of any kind. Just a trademark purchased by a distributor of inexpensive mass-produced Chinese entry-level instruments.
If you're patient, you can find a used National for only a little more than a new Regal or other import.
Tricones are mechanically more complex than single-cone resonator guitars, so loose tolerances in manufacturing have the potential to cause more (and more serious) problems.
Personally I can not recommend a Chinese tricone, even if you're on a budget.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:27 AM

No experience with that specific model, but I too looked at Regals as an alternative for more expensive resonator guitars. The bug bit me taking a slide class at a guitar camp. I found that some of the Regal examples were very nice, and well worth it. Some of them were not so good - bad set up, poor quality, etc. One of the things that occur with low budget instruments is that the quality control may vary, and they don't have a lot of margin to spend time making the final set up as good as possible. So you would have to look at a specific guitar and judge for yourself. You might think about a mail order from a store with a good return policy, so you send it back if it doesn't live up to your expectations. Elderly Instruments is good that way. You would have to play for return shipping, but if you cannot find local examples to play first hand, that is your best option.

Fender has had a fairly poor reputation for years, but I have heard that things are improving lately. Regardless of comments and reputation, if you like YOUR guitar, that is good enough.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM

I owned a Regal RC-51TT (the TT stands for 'Texas Tea'...the color of the body) and never had a complaint about it. I also have a Regal single cone Duolian (RC-1 i think..not the chrome one). I wound up liking the Duolian better for my style of playing, so I sold it about five years ago.

It's a great reso for not a lot of money!

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cone Head View Post
The current "Regal" company has no ties with the Chicago company of the same name, and no heritage of any kind. Just a trademark purchased by a distributor of inexpensive mass-produced Chinese entry-level instruments.
If you're patient, you can find a used National for only a little more than a new Regal or other import.
Tricones are mechanically more complex than single-cone resonator guitars, so loose tolerances in manufacturing have the potential to cause more (and more serious) problems.
Personally I can not recommend a Chinese tricone, even if you're on a budget.
That makes sense. Being in Mexico it may be rather hard to find a junked National, even. Have you had experience with Regal to testify against their quality? And if so, what made you get to that conclusion?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick A. View Post
Have you had experience with Regal to testify against their quality? And if so, what made you get to that conclusion?
That's FOUR Regal tricones I've seen with a a cone pan that was stamped out imperfectly - the cones won't seat properly since the surfaces are almost convex, so the buzzes won't go away. My friends and acquaintances but 'em, then bring them to me asking how to fix the incurable buzzes.
I have seen the same thing with Johnsons, Recording King, and other import brands...so it isn't just Regal - it's Chinese tricone copies in general.

Last edited by Cone Head; 05-20-2014 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:30 PM

Gretsch 9420 (Alligator) Wood body reso is pretty good. Any cheap off-shore resonator will benefit from a better cone. Because of a disastrous AGF deal on one, I had to replace the cone... but, in this case, my loss was also my gain as the tone is very satisfying.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 03-31-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
Gretsch 9420 (Alligator) Wood body reso is pretty good. Any cheap off-shore resonator will benefit from a better cone. Because of a disastrous AGF deal on one, I had to replace the cone... but, in this case, my loss was also my gain as the tone is very satisfying.
I agree with that, it is like changing pickups in an electric guitar. However, wood bodies can suffer more problems in materials and build than metal bodies, so I do a few other things to wood bodies while changing the cones, like leveling the cone shelf and hardening the soundwell with a dozen or so tubes of superglue. I also put soundposts between the cone and the back of the guitar if it doesn't have any.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuartev View Post
Gretsch 9420 (Alligator)Any cheap off-shore resonator will benefit from a better cone.
That applies not just to the cheapo's. I bought one of those aluminum-topped Martin ALT2 resonators a few years ago. Replacing the factory cone with a Quarterman cone markedly improved its tone. Of course, a neck reset helped too (on a brand new instrument, but at least Martin did warranty that). A lot of the imported cones are sand-cast, whereas the better ones are spun metal. Spinning them is a superior process.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:41 PM

I'd stear clear of the Regals, there are three other brands all roughly coming from the same factory (different one than Regal) with the same cones that are better.

Recording King, Republic, and Hot Rod Steel. Hot Rod Steel will have the best set up and inspection.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments