The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-22-2014, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Cello Advice?

Hi All -

I am not sure if I can get any information as it relates to cellos on the AGF, but at the very least, maybe someone can point me in another direction?

My partner has resumed her interest in playing the cello and I am SO excited for her. She is renting a cello at the moment, but as a surprise and gift, I would like to get her a really nice cello that she will not outgrow.

Can anyone recommend a store, forum, etc where I can garner more information? I am willing to spend up to 2k for an instrument.

Thanks, all!

Last edited by Kh1967; 03-22-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:41 AM

Eastman makes some nice instruments in that range...
Old 03-22-2014, 09:22 AM

I strongly recomment Kenneth Stein Violin in Elmhurst, I'll. In fact I will be going there on 3/27 to do an exchange on a recently purchased used cello that has turned out to have major problems - Ken is making it right by us. I can share the story and other helpful 'recent cello purchases' info if you like, by phone. Let me know!
Old 03-22-2014, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I strongly recomment Kenneth Stein Violin in Elmhurst, I'll. In fact I will be going there on 3/27 to do an exchange on a recently purchased used cello that has turned out to have major problems - Ken is making it right by us. I can share the story and other helpful 'recent cello purchases' info if you like, by phone. Let me know!
Would love to talk with you! I may no longer have your phone number. Can you shoot me a PM where I can reach you?

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2014, 02:14 PM

PM sent...
Old 03-23-2014, 11:43 AM

Buying local is always best IMHO but if you decide to buy long distance, I can highly recommend Linda West's http://www.lindawest.com/ customer service. I had always wanted to play the cello and ordered an Eastman 305 from her. It was a quality instrument and arrived well set up but after a month it became clear that trying to play cello was going to be physically impossible for me. Linda graciously allowed me to return the cello, less shipping, even though it was well beyond the trial period.
Old 03-23-2014, 02:07 PM

One nice thing about good violin shop (a shop that specializes in violins, violas and cellos) is that they usually allow the full purchase price of your instrument apply to a trade when you decide to upgrade. Often they allow a large potions of your rental payment to apply to a purchase as well. You should look into whether her shop would do this for you on the sly. I have never lost money trading violins (opposed to guitars). I use J.R. Judd Violins in Pennsylvania and have had 2 good experiences with them.

http://www.jrjuddviolins.com/
Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 PM

Reck Violin in Iowa City/Coralville Iowa has a great reputation. His shop has lots of nice instruments. From Violins to basses. (I know he builds basses). His trade up policy is great.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:59 PM

In case you don't get a chance to call, Kenneth Stein in Elmhurst does a ton of business with the violin/cello community in Appleton and Green Bay, due to a fabulous cellist that teaches at several schools here and sends a lot of business his way. I think part of why he stood behind us when a cello went bad was his solid business ethics, but our being "with" this incredible teacher that has so many students going to him for their needs also helped. If you'd like to swing by when I'm there on Thursday, I'd be happy to connect you, and by inference, make your satisfaction part of the broader business relationship he has with our area. If you would value this, happy to help.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
In case you don't get a chance to call, Kenneth Stein in Elmhurst does a ton of business with the violin/cello community in Appleton and Green Bay, due to a fabulous cellist that teaches at several schools here and sends a lot of business his way. I think part of why he stood behind us when a cello went bad was his solid business ethics, but our being "with" this incredible teacher that has so many students going to him for their needs also helped. If you'd like to swing by when I'm there on Thursday, I'd be happy to connect you, and by inference, make your satisfaction part of the broader business relationship he has with our area. If you would value this, happy to help.
Thanks to all that have have replied. All the help is very much appreciated.

Carmel...I left you a vm and look forward to talking whenever it is convenient for you.

Thanks, all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments