The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Old 07-04-2015, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Default MJ Franks Handcrafted OMC Adirondack/EIR--**4 MONTHS OLD, DEAD MINT**SALE PENDING**

**SOLD**
MJ Franks OMC Adirondack/EIR Custom, Handmade 2015 DEAD MINT (scroll to bottom for specs)

• Extra-stiff, fine-grain Adirondack spruce top
  • Old-growth East Indian rosewood back and sides
  • Highly figured koa binding
  • Herringbone top purfling
  • LR Baggs Lyric pickup
  • One-piece Honduran mahogany neck
  • Ebony fingerboard with green abalone split-diamond fret markers
  • Ebony bridge
  • Bone nut and saddle
  • Waverly open-back oval tuners
  • Original custom deluxe hardshell case
  • 25.4" scale
  • 1-3/4" nut; 2-3/16" string spacing
  • Medium-depth "C" shaped neck profile
  • Bone unslotted bridge pins
  • Deep glossy nitrocellulose lacquer finish everywhere except satin-finish neck
  • Standard OM dimensions with a deep body - 3-1/2" at neckblock, 4-3/8" at the tailblock
I custom ordered this guitar and it was completed and shipped on March 30, 2015 (the interior label says December 2014 but it was completed in March 2015, and the bill of sale has a 2015 serial number). It is a truly phenomenal guitar acoustically and visually.

Mike Franks makes every guitar by hand in his one-man shop in Michigan and he has a reputation for making some of the most perfect guitars coming out today, anywhere. I don't have recording equipment that can even come close to doing justice to this guitar, but DreamGuitars.com has a YouTube video of a 2007 non-cutaway version of exactly the same guitar (thank you, Al Petteway!):

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jhLGZZMOOk

You can also see the DreamGuitars.com review at this URL: http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/4...nks_omd_07036/

I barely played this guitar, it is spotless, and I have all records. I paid $4,545 (plus $200 for the pickup, installed). I'm asking $X,XXX, firm, plus PayPal and the actual cost of the shipping method of your choice.

(Thanks, but PLEASE don't tempt me with trade offers...!)

Please feel free to contact me directly: Peter 541-344-5569 or [email protected]

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Peterw; 07-27-2015 at 10:33 PM. Reason: sale pending
Old 07-05-2015, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

Wink

I had one of these, albeit a non-cutaway. One of the best OMs on the planet! Not only a superb guitar, but this one at a give-away price! Someone is going to be a happy camper!
Steve
Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 PM

Gorgeous guitar. Very attractive choice of woods .
I have heard nothing but raves re: M J Franks instruments.
Best of luck on your sale.
Any comparisons of voice of this model to same of other builders? eg. Martinesque (heritage)

Thanks
Old 07-05-2015, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Default Why am I selling?

Hi folks, thanks for the interest. I've gotten a lot of e-mails and calls. I guess the secret of Mike's superb guitars is "out" now. I've gotten lots of questions about why I'm selling. So, here it is:

Short version: it's been a painful decision, I'll lose a boatload of money, and I definitely need my head examined.

Longer version: I understand why folks would wonder why I'm selling. (So do I!) The thing is, it took Mike a really long time to build this guitar (16 months) and by the time it finally came I had fallen in love with a Goodall RCJC. Recently an RCJC with a mastergrade Engelmann top became available locally, and despite not being able to possibly afford two such phenomenal guitars, I put my hat in the ring to buy the Goodall. And I succeeded. So at the moment I have two phenomenally great rosewood guitars and I'm honestly not even that great a player!... it just doesn't make sense. Playing the two side-by-side, I decided that the Goodall is the one I'm going to keep, but it was truly an extremely difficult choice. The choice was made more difficult by the fact that the Franks OMC almost certainly isn't even close to fully opened up yet. Because I had Goodalls-on-the-brain, I decided to be extra cautious so as not to put dings and scratches in the Franks, and the result is that I've probably played it altogether less than 10 hours. The potential is enormous. If you listen to the video from DreamGuitars in the AGF listing, that gives you the idea. It pains me to give up the Franks after waiting so long and putting lots of money into it; but making a choice between two phenomenal guitars is a problem to be envied I guess. Still, it's been really hard!

Last edited by Peterw; 07-05-2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

PM sent.....
Old 01-03-2016, 06:33 AM

Grgeous IER Back and side!

I play an Mj franks too. A really articulated guitar

https://youtu.be/ohJPcTLkk7M

I would have liked to hear yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars