The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-06-2015, 08:41 AM

A vote for Reaper here - download the full uncrippled version for free ($60 to register it) and try it out. Extensive 400+ page manual - yes there is a learning curve!
I found it very intuitive, though, with my only previous experience being a Boss digital recorder and live mixers (not counting the early 80s 'use two stereo cassette recorders to bounce/dub multitrack' method!)

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 07-06-2015, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the many responses and input....

Recording Platform
Laptop, I7 processor, 15.6 screen, 8 meg memory, 1T 5400rpm HD, 3 USB ports, currently has Windows 8.1...changing out to Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 10 64 bit.

Room Treatment
13' x 15' x 8' ceiling room. Standard finish walls (sheetrock). I have 4, standalone 8'x5' office panels with padded cloth covering on both sides.

Interface
Planning on purchasing Focusrite 6i6

Mics
TBD - 3 total, 2 vocal, 1 instrument

Headphones
TBD - 2 closed back

Assorted Cables, Stands, etc

Instruments
Martin D-18 (spruce/mahogany) Taylor 414ce (spruce/walnut)

Genres
A little of everything, exp: Clapton, John Mayer, BB King, Albert King, Dire Straits, James Taylor, Pure Prairie League, ZZ Top, Beatles, and some original 12 bar blues (Biscuits and Gravy Blues...lol) etc.

Anticipated Workflow
I anticipate doing "The Thrill is Gone" as my first "production".
Background (line in and miced Taylor simultaneously on 2 separate tracks, instrument solo tracks, percussion track, bass track, vocal track(s).

Sorry for being so long winded, but I'm responding to some questions asked of me. As respects my workflow, that is how I perceive things to go....all subject to change depending on how many people start yelling at me!

Thanks again, David Bird
Old 07-07-2015, 12:42 AM
Charter Member

Default Aloha David

Aloha David,

Just a few random responses to your recent thread, my friend.

Don't worry about the give & take nature of some of our discussions. You can actually learn plenty from reading how people defend their opinions here & even in the few disagreements. The spirit of this forum is one of sharing. Anything we can do to help you with your learning curve, we'll help with, right guys? There are many knowledgable player/recordists here to help. So jump on in to the discussions, David. The "yelling" is just the passion of your friends here, OK? There is no one true way to do any of this stuff, especially the gear in our signal chains.

Take it all with a grain of salt, David, & don't be afraid to disagree or ask questions you may think would seem strange or off-center to us. We're all off-center anyway or we wouldn't be taking the time to write about such an arcane craft as recording acoustic music.

And Please, just trust your ears only in terms of choosing gear. The subjective differences will be clearly audible as you get more into the process.

However, I would definitely suggest that you read everything you can from many, many sources RE: electronics, signal compatibility, room acoustics, acoustic recording signal chains & techniques. Try things out before you buy, like those DAW downloads, David. It'll save you lots of time & money in the long-run. We all hear differently, even day to day - Ha! PM me if you'd like a list of resources.

Thank you for sharing your planned & coming together recording rig & musical info with us, David. Many of us play similar styles. As I've written before, try to keep the quality of the elements of your signal chain of the same quality. I think that Windows will eventually break your heart with its unpredictable upgrades, but many here do fine with it. I'd also see what other multi-channel interfaces are affordable for you that compete with the Scarlet entry-level units. Those onboard mic preamps.......so mid-rangey to my ears.

Beyond those office panels you mentioned, David, I also think that you will need to build some of Fran's broad-band absorbers & learn more about building & using ADEQUATE Room Treatment - especially since you're using drums. It's not as daunting or expensive as it sounds. I found it quite easy to make 22 of those panels which I use in different configs. depending on what part of recording I'm doing. I store them in a closet when I need the room for another function. DIY, portable Room Treatment is VERY necessary to the acoustic home recording process. And it works. Without it, you cannot maximize your rig, or hear your music clearly to develop consistent recording results.

I feel that much could be learned from seeing how other player/recordists here put together their recording rigs - what they combine & make work. We had a thread awhile back where many answered those same questions I asked you here, David.

Check out this thread for the types of compatible rigs we've put together here - at all levels of commitment. I think it'll help you refine your search a bit for a compatible signal chain that'll work well for you as you get into this madness that is home recording, David:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ecording+setup

All the best, David. "The Thrill is....." actually beginning for you. Take your time. Enjoy the process & the creative aspects of making & recording your music. The world really needs it, my friend.

A Hui Hou!

PS: Looking ahead in the process, there are some folks here who could actively help you refine your shared recordings. Although I'm not among them, they could really help you move your learning curve forward, David. -alohachris-

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 07-07-2015 at 12:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD