The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-09-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Here are some of my household possessions I made over the years.

This coffee table I made in 1985 +/-. It is made from local cherry, all from the same billet, and bookmatched throughout. The frame is incorporated into the top, and I felt pretty clever when I did it. The splines in the top are Brazilian Rosewood.

I originally made this light for a customer who gave it back to me after he'd remodeled (again) and asked me to sell it for him. Make me an offer, but I'll miss it, it is hanging over my dining table. It is made from Black Walnut and is nearly 3' long.

My kitchen is birdseye maple and has ebony pulls. Just to make it harder, I used butt hinges on the doors. It very simple, architecturally, but it is elegant IMO.

Here is the livingroom side of the previous cabinet, This side is walnut and has lightly quilted Big Leaf maple panels.

I imagine you can see, that as with my guitars, I tend toward understatement.
Bruce,
What a piece that light fixture!
It's very oriental!
What are the dimensions and what kind of light bulbs?
Alan
1980 Nakade classical, Spruce/EIR
and... a bunch of ukulele
Old 08-09-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Too many wasted hours, well at least it kept me out of trouble. Did a back of the napkin engineering and proceeded to build a car. Have another picture somewhere with the seats, steering wheel, windshield and doors. Pretty much a rolling chassis. Made a full sized body plug to take molds off of. Lost my job and went back to school. Moved and it all went by the wayside. Mustang front and rear end, 3.8 Buick engine and 350 tranny. All that is left is three pictures and some suspension bits that I tig welded. Had to keep something.

Wow. That's impressive. The closest I ever came to building a car from the ground up would have been one of those kit cars that used a VW floor pan and a Corvair engine. Never had the scratch for that, though.
-C
Old 08-09-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas Freeborn View Post
Wow. That's impressive. The closest I ever came to building a car from the ground up would have been one of those kit cars that used a VW floor pan and a Corvair engine. Never had the scratch for that, though.
-C
Saw some car kits and thought I could do it. My dad welded for a living so it seemed natural. Just a lot of measurements and fabricating.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:05 PM

prior to retirement I had been a cabinetmaker for 35 years and I have seen a lot. However I still can count to ten.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

I built this cherry table and bench (out of hemlock with locust legs) for one of my two sons and his family

Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 PM

I'm bumping this thread because I like it so much. Anything else cooking you all might care to share?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:32 PM

I can't post pictures because of non-disclosures, but I just finished some sculptures for "The Walking Dead" TV show
Old 11-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Here are 2 cabinets I just completed. They will reside in the new 9 Suns Winery in St. Helena CA. These are not the guitars that will be in them however. Two guitars I built for the owner will be on permanent display instead (the 9 Suns guitar and the Winery guitar both of which I shared in the Custom Shop a while back). They will be in the wine library which is shaped like a guitar (one of mine actually!) The cabinets will be on opposite sides of the room in the "upper bout" area. They are curved to not only fit the room shape but also the domed walls. The materials used are woods I used in the building of the 2 guitars, African mahogany for the interiors and figured Claro walnut for the exteriors. It was fun to get away from guitars and inlays for a while!

Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Very nice Harvey...thanks for sharing!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:26 PM

Incredible Harvey. It's like the ultimare Russian nesting dolls of luthery. Incredible inlay on incredible guitars, inside incredible cabinets, inside a guitar shaped room! Wow!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Here are some of my household possessions I made over the years.

This coffee table I made in 1985 +/-. It is made from local cherry, all from the same billet, and bookmatched throughout. The frame is incorporated into the top, and I felt pretty clever when I did it. The splines in the top are Brazilian Rosewood.

It's interesting--if you asked me "which major guitar builder made this table?" I probably would have guessed it was Bruce. There's something about the lines and color that gives it away.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn23 View Post
Incredible Harvey. It's like the ultimare Russian nesting dolls of luthery. Incredible inlay on incredible guitars, inside incredible cabinets, inside a guitar shaped room! Wow!
...in an underground cave and surrounded by expensive wine! Not a bad island to be stranded on

The winery is pretty amazing too. The view from the courtyard is Napa Valley all the way to the San Francisco skyline. They excavated enough space for about 100 yards of underground caves, covered it back over and built a new reception building on top... all with the intent not to change the look of the hill it sits on. I can't even imagine what it cost...
Old 11-13-2015, 07:45 PM

Starting to get my house ready to sell. I'll spare you the pictures of things like cleaning the moss off the roof but here are a couple of shots of some new light fixtures. A chance to prototype some for the new place too.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
I built this cherry table and bench (out of hemlock with locust legs) for one of my two sons and his family
Nice table! But will you explain how a cherry table gets built from hemlock and locust?
Old 11-14-2015, 06:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Nice table! But will you explain how a cherry table gets built from hemlock and locust?
Bad punctuation. The bench is hemlock and locust, the table is cherry that I had cut up from an old tree that died of old age.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop