The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2015, 11:02 PM

Cool! Glad you like it.

I'm wondering, for folks that have feedback issues, assuming they are careful with position in relation to speakers, and assuming they're not jacking up the bass, if maybe they have the mic positioned wrong. My tech placed the mic where K&K recommends, which is between the high E and B strings, about a quarter inch below the strings. It's actually a little outside the soundhole. I questioned him about it because I just assumed it should be down inside the guitar.

In reading reviews and posts on the Trinity, before buying, I had read where folks had tried it in several different positions before finally putting it where K&K said to and saying that that position sounded best.
Fender GDP100 Parlor
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Last edited by wayne8; 10-13-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:03 AM
Charter Member

The mic on mine is very close to being outside the sound hole and is between the B and E strings. Pointed slighty is the direction of the fingerboard. I was surprised that the string to string volume was equal in this position (using mic only to test) but it is.

Can't wait to try this live!

Tim
Old 10-14-2015, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim View Post
The mic on mine is very close to being outside the sound hole and is between the B and E strings. Pointed slighty is the direction of the fingerboard. I was surprised that the string to string volume was equal in this position (using mic only to test) but it is.

Can't wait to try this live!

Tim
Hi Tim…

I'm interested to hear how that works out. Could you be a bit more specific about how far down it's sitting please? I'm not thinking about changing mine, but for the sake of others who have dual source K&K rigs and are setting them up, it helps to know what the rest of us are finding successful.

Mine sits about ¾" below the top aimed up at the 3rd string area. Please report back. At this depth, it picks up uniformly, and even accommodates a lute hole cover or Feedback buster when needed.

I tuck mine inside with the tip of the mic under a brace (to hold it out of the way) for formal pictures, then bend it back out into the proper place. I probably have to adjust it about twice a year on one of my 4 guitars when it's slipped out of position from being carried around in a vehicle.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-14-2015, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Wow, those are good pics, Larry!

I am happy to measure where the mic on mine is placed but I have not gone beyond a basic "is this thing going to howl" sound check. ( The EQ on the preamp has not been adjusted and the mic placement has not been extensively adjusted.). Seeing your placement makes me want to experiment although I am very happy the initial sound of mine.

Tim

PS How did you get the internal shot?
Old 10-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Hey Guys,

Had a chance to try the Trinity at a very loud rehearsal tonight. We use IEMs but had a few people tonight use floor wedges. One of them was just a few feet from me but I did not experience any feedback while running mic and pickup 50/50. Couldn't be happier with the sound.

As promised, here are some pics of the mic placement.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:30 AM

I have yet to install my Trinity upgrade mic in my Martin guitar for several reasons mostly time constraints and cash flow. I watched a YouTube video of one being installed, the person decided to put it on the bottom side instead of the top next to the sound hole. Reason being he figured it would affect the vibration of the top if mounted on the top. Sounds reasonable but I just wonder if anyone here thinks this is plausible?
Old 10-15-2015, 10:06 AM

I find it pretty easy to get my k&k equipped guitars to feedback with a loud band. I also find it somewhat easy to manage feedback on them with positioning and EQ.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification