The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Default Anyone gigged with a Lyric yet? Thoughts?

I haven't gigged yet with my Lyric, but I'm interested to hear any recent reviews....
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM

Mine is working out great! With our band we play mostly outdoor parties and events so we haven't had any weird room acoustics to deal with. I also don't need a lot of volume in the monitors and our stage volume, even with a drummer, isn't very loud. So far, I would have to try to get it to feedback.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Working great for me so far! It's more feedback resistant than my old JJBs, and with some good EQ it sounds phenomenal to my ears. It must sound pretty good out front too, cause the main acoustic guitar player at my church went and bought one for his acoustic immediately after hearing mine for the first time.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:35 PM

I'll be starting to gig with mine next month -- I'll let you know how it works for me!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:49 PM

Yup...used mine in church, so it's a quiet environment. Boosted the highs & extreme lows a little (maybe 15% or so) and it sounds fabulous!

BradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM

I am a happy camper. I need some drastic EQ in the low mids to give it clarity. Puts a smile on my face everytime.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-29-2013, 07:18 AM
AGF Sponsor

I did one gig with it and found it difficult to dial in a pleasing midrange. The mids were either spikey and brittle or a little muffled and covered up. I liked the overall dynamics and string-to-string balance, but it just didn't live up to the hype for me. I realize I'm probably in the minority and you should take my review for what it is - one of many and certainly not the norm.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 05-29-2013, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

I tried one..honestly it didn't work for band...

It worked great at small venue for sure.. i love the sound directly from my box.. but it just to weak for other venue..

I tried Radial PZ. still didn't help that much..

I am switching to K&K trinity ..

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 05-29-2013, 01:14 PM

You know, I am still trying to follow the Lyric threads in an effort to learn mostly. I have been one of those that reside clearly in the I-like-the-Lyric-and-it-works-well-for-me Camp. It's not perfect. Nothing will be. In my set-up with a guitar that has ample bass response it takes a lot of drastic EQ in the low mids to get it dialed in nicely. And the correct Midrange frequency does matter. The Venue has enough EQ flexibility and control to find the frequency range that is responsible for that boxy sound and remove enough of it to give the tone that needs to pop out of the band mix yet keep enough acoustic integrity. It doesn't give me thunderous bass as some people might want but it gives me enough that I even have to dial some out at the request of my sound guys. Also, I keep the presence screw dialed down a bit at less than half way. I prefer this so I can add the presence and Treble with the Venue instead. To me that is a better sound than using the presence screw boosted up yielding a more harsh unnatural result.

Monday, I was running sound for our local guitar society monthly meeting. The small mixing board we were using had 3 band EQ centered at 80Hz, 2.5kHz and 12kHz. I ran my guitar through my Venue. But if my sound were left up to just that mixer I feel that it would have taken a completely different approach to solving the issues I would have had due to that specific piece of gear. I hope it would have worked out fine by boosting the Mids and highs considerably, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

I hope this report helps someone.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 05-31-2013, 03:28 PM

Played a show yesterday - two acoustics: 1. Taylor GA with the Expression system; 2. Taylor GA with Baggs Lyric. Both sounded great, and played well together. But the shock, later when listening to audience recordings, was that in the passages where the Baggs was playing alone, the tone was stunningly wonderful. This impression comes from an iphone mic in the audience. The tone was beautiful and delicate. In strummed sections, it was not so noticeable, since both guitars were strumming. After the show, the a common comment was how great the sound was, and I think part of that credit goes to the Baggs Lyric.

www.reverbnation.com/semiprecious

** I originally accidentally typed "Anthem" instead of "Lyric." I have edited, but include this note so that the following reply will not seem nonsensical.

Last edited by dcn100; 06-04-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

Cool What Lyric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn100 View Post
Played a show yesterday - two acoustics: 1. Taylor GA with the Expression system; 2. Taylor GA with Baggs Anthem. Both sounded great, and played well together. But the shock, later when listening to audience recordings, was that in the passages where the Baggs was playing alone, the tone was stunningly wonderful. This impression comes from an iphone mic in the audience. The tone was beautiful and delicate. In strummed sections, it was not so noticeable, since both guitars were strumming. After the show, the a common comment was how great the sound was, and I think part of that credit goes to the Baggs Lyric.

www.reverbnation.com/semiprecious
WHAT Baggs Lyric? You just said that you have the Anthem in your guitar! Not the same thing, not at all...

Is that an error, or do you not know what the Lyric is?

Don't get me wrong, I have the Anthem SL in both my 6 and 12 string stage guitars and like them very much... but the OP was asking about the Lyric...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-04-2013, 09:56 PM

Oops... I accidentally typed "Anthem" when I meant "Lyric." I guess I must have been punch drunk from reading reviews comparing the two systems. Or perhaps I had a mini-stroke at just that moment. I do not own an Anthem, never have, and I don't know anything about the Anthem.

Sorry for the confusion. Duh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
WHAT Baggs Lyric? You just said that you have the Anthem in your guitar! Not the same thing, not at all...

Is that an error, or do you not know what the Lyric is?

Don't get me wrong, I have the Anthem SL in both my 6 and 12 string stage guitars and like them very much... but the OP was asking about the Lyric...
Old 06-05-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
I did one gig with it and found it difficult to dial in a pleasing midrange. The mids were either spikey and brittle or a little muffled and covered up. I liked the overall dynamics and string-to-string balance, but it just didn't live up to the hype for me. I realize I'm probably in the minority and you should take my review for what it is - one of many and certainly not the norm.
This is where I'm at with it as well. A funky kind of cocked/out of phase sound in the mids. For whatever reason in a Martin D-28 and a Fishman Loudbox 100, it sounds best with the mids around 2, bass almost off, and treble around 10. Sometimes it sounds great and others really weird, I wonder if the battery or guitar strings need replacement, I don't get it.

No matter what I do however it always seems slightly muffled or out of phase. I have moved it around inside the guitar all over and nothing much changes. Most likely I will be removing it, the question becomes replace it with what? I hate the piezo sound, so anything of that type will not be considered. Maybe a soundhole pu...
Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
For whatever reason in a Martin D-28 and a Fishman Loudbox 100, it sounds best with the mids around 2, bass almost off, and treble around 10.
IF one is having to drastically alter the tone controls as illustrated above and mentioned by other posters, THAT is indicative of a pickup that is not optimal for that particular poster's use IMO.

But I've read this a few times now. IMO a decent pickup should be able to stay with the bass, mid & treble controls staying much closer to flat than as indicated in those wild swings above.

Bass almost off, treble at 10?!?!?! What's up with that?

Not good!
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydave View Post
Bass almost off, treble at 10?!?!?! What's up with that?

Not good!
Yeah, that is the exact opposite of my experience with the Lyric so far -- I'm running Bass and Treble completely flat, but doing some tweaks in the mid-range.

Mine sounds fantastic. I'm almost starting to wonder if Baggs is having production problems... people either seem to be getting phenomenal sound, or terrible sound. wtf?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
lyric