The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshambroom View Post
Has anyone tried the RedEye Twin to blend a dual source PU? I wonder if Darren could modify the A channel to take both channels with a S
stereo plug?
The Twin now has an "and" button. You would need each pickup to have it's own 1/4" out.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 03-10-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshambroom View Post
Has anyone tried the RedEye Twin to blend a dual source PU? I wonder if Darren could modify the A channel to take both channels with a S
stereo plug?
You could use a Y cable
that's me on guitar
Old 03-11-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
I'm really curious about the Red Eye Twin. It seems like a very simple way for me to switch back and forth between my guitar and my ukulele.
I have somewhat of a similar situation and I'll be getting the Red Eye Twin. Heck, what's one more preamp?

Baggs Para DI, Headway, Aura. What's just one more?

I'd love a pendulum but too bulky if you ask me. I want to keep my setup simple.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:54 PM

Any one using just the Dee-eye?

I think I am able to get enough tone shaping from the board, and not sure if I really need the boost function.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2 View Post
Any one using just the Dee-eye?

I think I am able to get enough tone shaping from the board, and not sure if I really need the boost function.
I have one and it works just fine. Nice and small, too.

I like the boost, so I tend to grab the Red-Eye first.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donh View Post
I have one and it works just fine. Nice and small, too.

I like the boost, so I tend to grab the Red-Eye first.

Thanks so much for the reply!
One more question:
Is is a clean linear boost, or does it add a little something special?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor2 View Post
Thanks so much for the reply!
One more question:
Is is a clean linear boost, or does it add a little something special?
There is no tone shaping done on purpose. It is literally a clean linear (accent on the 'linear') boost, tho it certainly seems to be special. I do find the DeeEye to have a smidgeon more top-end than the other models.

Nothing is perfect. Some things are closer than others! :-)

Old 03-17-2013, 01:48 PM

Default My experience w/ Red Eye

I have one and have used it for three consecutive gigs now. I have a K&K in a Martin D18 and prior to the Red Eye used a K&K Pure XLR pre. We use twin Bose towers for our PA most of the time.

The Red Eye in normal mode is slightly more transparent than the K&K; really natural acoustic sound. The problem is when using it with the volume boost. When I kick volume boost in, even with just a very slight boost, the great tone gets stripped away...the overtones, natural "woodiness" of the guitar is gone and it sounds more like a cheap low volume electric guitar. So I give kudos to Red Eye for getting part of it right. But I won't use the volume boost mode any more.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
I have one and have used it for three consecutive gigs now. I have a K&K in a Martin D18 and prior to the Red Eye used a K&K Pure XLR pre. We use twin Bose towers for our PA most of the time.

The Red Eye in normal mode is slightly more transparent than the K&K; really natural acoustic sound. The problem is when using it with the volume boost. When I kick volume boost in, even with just a very slight boost, the great tone gets stripped away...the overtones, natural "woodiness" of the guitar is gone and it sounds more like a cheap low volume electric guitar. So I give kudos to Red Eye for getting part of it right. But I won't use the volume boost mode any more.
That's really interesting. I find the red-eye to sound great in normal and boost mode, and its the only pre I'll use with a K&K, now that I've heard it. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 03-17-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:

This is no surprise to me given what you are plugging into downstream of the K&K/RedEye. I expect the same result if you would use Mackie gear.

Hint: it ain't the Red Eye that is stripping the tone.

Old 03-17-2013, 04:44 PM

Don, are you saying the Bose could be causing that, and why do you think that's the issue?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 PM

I've got a Red-Eye coming this week, looking fwd. to trying it out and will post a full review.

For those who have used preamps with eq in the past (PADI, Venue, Radial, Ultrasound, etc.).....are you missing the ability to eq other than the board itself? How much eq are you actually using/needing with the Red-Eye?
Old 03-17-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Don, are you saying the Bose could be causing that, and why do you think that's the issue?
Why yes I am. Odd you should notice :-)

I started out as a bench repairman and have had my hands on many generations of Bose electronics over the decades and a common aspect of them has been cheap high-gain circuitry prone to non-linearity in overload situations.

What this means: give that stuff a dose of high-dynamic real-time signal that hasn't been already compressed by cheap electronics and you get crappy tone. (hit it hard and it craps out)

And that is why I am far from surprised . . . .

Last edited by donh; 03-18-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 PM

Interesting thread!

I have a k&k in my Collings D2H and have been happily using an Ultrasound DI Plus for about three years. Has anyone compared the Red Eye to an Ultrasound DI?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:

Are you inadvertantly overdriving the input on whatever you're going into from the Red Eye? OR some other stage "downstream" from that?

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification