The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Great choice on the amp and the speaker. Richard Goodsell likes that speaker best in the Super 17 and I had one in mine. Sounded better to my ears than the Celestion Gold and the stock Goodsell speaker.

Also a nice choice on the guitar. The drop top classic covers a lot of ground with styles, especially with a HB in the bridge position. Nice PRS too. That should give you some tones that you can't get with the DTC.

I like the Pumaboard. I've heard nothing but good things about him and he was helpful when I spoke with him about a possible new board. And yes, he has a plug on the side where you can use a regular extension cord as a power cord. Under the board the plug goes to the PP2 for juice.

As far as effects, I haven't played through the Trex Roommate. The Keeley BD-2 phat mod is a good pedal. I gave mine to my bro-in-law. Pedals are a whole new ballgame in itself. There are so many options and so many great pedals. I've tried out a ton of pedals and have come up with a few that are my faves.

You might want to look into a little switcher like this. I have an earlier model of the Musicom Lab Switcher and it's just awesome. You have 8 loops that you can program to switch any combination of pedals on and off with one tap. No tap dancing! Plus it gets any tone sucking pedals out of the loop when they're not in use. You can also program it to send a midi signal. I use it to switch patches on my Eventide Timefactor. If you have a channel switching amp it can switch channels for you as well. Great little unit that fits on a pedalboard. Other than that, the TC Electronic G-system rocks for time based effects while still controlling your OD pedals in loops.
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Old 05-21-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akivisuals View Post
Great choice on the amp and the speaker. Richard Goodsell likes that speaker best in the Super 17 and I had one in mine. Sounded better to my ears than the Celestion Gold and the stock Goodsell speaker.

Also a nice choice on the guitar. The drop top classic covers a lot of ground with styles, especially with a HB in the bridge position. Nice PRS too. That should give you some tones that you can't get with the DTC.

I like the Pumaboard. I've heard nothing but good things about him and he was helpful when I spoke with him about a possible new board. And yes, he has a plug on the side where you can use a regular extension cord as a power cord. Under the board the plug goes to the PP2 for juice.

As far as effects, I haven't played through the Trex Roommate. The Keeley BD-2 phat mod is a good pedal. I gave mine to my bro-in-law. Pedals are a whole new ballgame in itself. There are so many options and so many great pedals. I've tried out a ton of pedals and have come up with a few that are my faves.

You might want to look into a little switcher like this. I have an earlier model of the Musicom Lab Switcher and it's just awesome. You have 8 loops that you can program to switch any combination of pedals on and off with one tap. No tap dancing! Plus it gets any tone sucking pedals out of the loop when they're not in use. You can also program it to send a midi signal. I use it to switch patches on my Eventide Timefactor. If you have a channel switching amp it can switch channels for you as well. Great little unit that fits on a pedalboard. Other than that, the TC Electronic G-system rocks for time based effects while still controlling your OD pedals in loops.

Thanks for the tip on the switcher is it hard to set up?
Old 05-21-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Thanks for the tip on the switcher is it hard to set up?
Well, I've set up more than my share of different switching systems over the years as I've tried different things so it's not too difficult for me. You basically have a pair of cables as send/receive to each pedal from the unit. Programming the unit is a breeze. I'm not a big menu tweaker so the ease of use to program the thing is a plus. It's actually quite easy. Now getting it to send midi signals to switch patches on my Timefactor took a bit of reading from the manuals but was well worth it.

I'd suggest looking at LavaCable for your pedalboard cables. Mark has given me the absolute, without question, best customer service I've ever had. He's a gem! He also carries the best names in cable around, has a great warranty on them and is very knowledgeable in his recommendations. For a pedalboard you might consider using the Lava solder free pedalboard kit.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:41 PM

Oops, I missed the part where you already bought the Goodsell...

Great choice. I can't wait to hear how your rig progresses! It's coming along nicely already. Keep us posted will ya? Hopefully we can provide help with any questions you may have.

Great questions, and great responses all around.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb0430 View Post
Oops, I missed the part where you already bought the Goodsell...

Great choice. I can't wait to hear how your rig progresses! It's coming along nicely already. Keep us posted will ya? Hopefully we can provide help with any questions you may have.

Great questions, and great responses all around.

I certainly will and a HUGE "thank you" to those who have contributed their opinions here.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:08 PM

Anyone tried the T-Rex Room-Mate reverb pedal?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:40 PM

Couldn't find a good brown so ended up getting this guy...Kevin (aka Pumaman) is a good guy....

Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 PM

I have been reading some very good stuff about the Moog Guitar..Paul Vo Edition..add to that the Moog Foggers analog pedals and you will have a very expensive, yet very sweet analog guitar set-up.

Just read you got your axe...have fun.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 05-23-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Aki - How many individual pedal effects can you load into a patch of the Musicom? Also, how do you program? Thanks and looks cool!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Aki - How many individual pedal effects can you load into a patch of the Musicom? Also, how do you program? Thanks and looks cool!
You have 8 loops in the Musicom and any of them can be turned on/off in any patch. Programming is very easy. Just hit a button to access the "instant access" mode then hit save and you're basically done. It's the best pedalboard switching solution that I've found. There are some similar units but the Musicom is very small and well made. Other units are the GigRig and the Carl Martin Combinator 2 but they seem much bigger in comparison.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:37 PM

Quote:
You have 8 loops in the Musicom and any of them can be turned on/off in any patch. Programming is very easy. Just hit a button to access the "instant access" mode then hit save and you're basically done. It's the best pedalboard switching solution that I've found. There are some similar units but the Musicom is very small and well made. Other units are the GigRig and the Carl Martin Combinator 2 but they seem much bigger in comparison.

Thanks aki. Did you notice any drop off in tone from your rig being run through this guy?

Also, since they are in loops that can be turned on/off, does that negate the need for "proper pedal order" unless within the same loop?

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-26-2009 at 04:30 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Thanks aki. Did you notice any drop off in tone from your rig being run through this guy?

Also, since they are in loops that can be turned on/off, does that negate the need for "proper pedal order" unless within the same loop?
I didn't notice any drop off in tone. The loops are buffered so if you have any cable runs longer than around 20' you might actually gain some of your tone back. Long cable runs (like guitar to pedalboard, pedalboard wiring and then to an amp) can kill your high end. A good buffer can help restore some of that signal loss. A pedal like the Axess Electronics BS-2 works the same way.

You still need to put the pedals in the proper order. The looper will turn on the loops you want but they are in sequential order like you would have on a regular pedalboard.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:49 PM

These photos are at least a few years old and some of the pedals have been switched out but you can get an idea of the wiring and the size of the unit from the pics.

The pedals are:

top: Arion SCH-1 (rehoused for true bypass), Lovepedal COT50, MI Audio Crunchbox, Xotic RC Booster, Zvex Box of Rock, Korg tuner, Loopmaster patch box

bottom: old Ibanez DDL delay (sleeper pedal with great transparent delays), Line 6 Echo Park, old 80's Boss Dimension C chorus, MusicomLab switcher, Ernie Ball Jr. volume pedal.

My board is pretty different now. The volume pedal, MusicomLab, Loopmaster, tuner, Box of Rock and Dimension C are still on the board. New are the Klon Centaur (second one. I sold my original horseyman one probably around a decade or so ago...), Hermida Mosferatu, Lovepedal Vibe, Eventide Timefactor and a Barber Tone Press.

Last edited by akivisuals; 05-26-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Anyone tried the T-Rex Room-Mate reverb pedal?
Surprised no one answered this since you've asked twice. Listen for yourself on PGS' YouTube vid (don't watch all the vids, it is a serious hazard for your budget!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_JCDIyVTXI

I really liked the pedal but it was a bit out of my price range in terms of what I needed it for but dang, it is a great, great sounding pedal!

I would also look at Dr. Scientist's Reverberator. Now that is a great pedal, I hear it all the time from the electric guitarist that plays at our church. I would actually highly recommend this one based upon the fact that I just like the sounds that it can create in a live situation.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
These photos are at least a few years old and some of the pedals have been switched out but you can get an idea of the wiring and the size of the unit from the pics.
Holy cow that is a CLEAN CLEAN board. Nice setup

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification