The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM

Default Fishman Solo

Folks anyone try one yet ???

They were shipping them last week
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Default ...amp?

Musician's friend had their due date pushed back from 9/8 to 9/22. Sweetwater has been saying "they've shipped from fishman and we should have them any day now" for about the past 2 weeks. At that rate they must be shipping them to sweetwater via horse drawn carriage to save fuel costs.

At this point I think the only people who have heard it are people who work for fishman, saw it at NAMM, or were able to get a sneak preview somehow.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:36 AM

GC has me on their email list, nada................

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohwell View Post
Musician's friend had their due date pushed back from 9/8 to 9/22. Sweetwater has been saying "they've shipped from fishman and we should have them any day now" for about the past 2 weeks. At that rate they must be shipping them to sweetwater via horse drawn carriage to save fuel costs.
This morning on another forum, Joe Barbieri from Fishman wrote that they started shipping this week.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:46 PM

ok thanks

Too late anyway
I held off till August as this was the date that I was told
Bought an Acoustic Image Corus instead
Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towzer View Post
ok thanks

Too late anyway
Oh man.........Can you do a review please???? I can't find ANY reviews of the Corus........................It's down to the Schertler, an AER or the Acoustic Image pretty much for me, with the SoloAmp and and Loudbox 100 in the outside running.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
ok thanks

Too late anyway
Then why the $@(! did you bother to ask whether anyone tried one yet? Buyer's remorse already with your Acoustic Image Corus?
Old 09-13-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
Then why the $@(! did you bother to ask whether anyone tried one yet? Buyer's remorse already with your Acoustic Image Corus?
__________________________________________________ __________

I see that all the time, Man. Before the thread is 2 days old someone's bought, sold or moved out of state . I get a kick out of it......... The fast paced world of guitars, effects and everything in between.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:07 PM

Default This Just In

Just picked mine up at the Dallas GC an hour ago - it's sitting in my back seat right now. It was a special order, but they will have them in stock soon.

I'll plug it in at home tonight or tomorrow, and plan to use it at a gig Saturday.

Details at 11. (or whenever!)
Old 09-15-2008, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTX View Post
I'll plug it in at home tonight or tomorrow, and plan to use it at a gig Saturday.

Details at 11. (or whenever!)
Mike,
I'm excited to read your review!

Matt
Old 09-15-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Mike,
I'm excited to read your review!

Matt
Same here. Some things I'd like to find out:

- How wide the dispersion is
- How deep the sound goes / the line array effect
- How well it handles lower frequencies with 4" woofers
- Quality of the reverbs
Old 09-15-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side Man View Post
No my point was that these were supposed to be shipped in August , now September
I ordered the Acoustic Image corus last week and it will be here this Friday but wanted to see what the Solo sounded like since I put off everything for it

I spoke to numerous people who have used the AI Corus including Dream Guitars . They use it there and love it.

400 watts, built like a tank, effects and only 22 lbs

I will post a review as soon as I get it
Old 09-16-2008, 05:35 AM

Quote:
No my point was that these were supposed to be shipped in August , now September
I ordered the Acoustic Image corus last week and it will be here this Friday but wanted to see what the Solo sounded like since I put off everything for it

I spoke to numerous people who have used the AI Corus including Dream Guitars . They use it there and love it.

400 watts, built like a tank, effects and only 22 lbs

I will post a review as soon as I get it
I can't think of any manufacturer's new product that actually showed up in stores when originally predicted. Fishman's SoloAmp is no exception and actually close (3 weeks?) to their originally predicted mid-August shipping date.

No matter; I'm sure everyone will look forward to your review of the AI.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Very FIRST Take

I unboxed it, looked it over, set it up in less than a minute, just like they said.

It does look cool, well made, professional looking, nice and light.

My frame of reference is the Bose Classic, I use two bass subs, and the T1 controller...

It IS much lighter, easier and faster to set up. ONE piece plus the stand, versus six components (and bags) in my setup. ONE cable connection versus, let's see - five.

Visually, my first impression is that the Bose is a little more, uh, stealth, or transparent. The SoloAmp is more wide, and has the front control panel, knobs, and wires and plugs that are right there catching your eye, plus the stand looks pretty "technical". You tend to forget that the Bose is there - it blends it. I work hard to HIDE all wiring - I'll wait to see how this goes with the SoloAmp.

Last evening, I only had a few minutes to, "only" again, plug my guitar straight into it and play a few chords and notes. Initial listen - it sounds good, seems to have a lot of volume, and I look forward to the usual "tuning" that will happen with new gear, and to hearing vocals. I will be shocked if I don't end up using a pre-amp and very likely the Bose T1 mixer.

I bought this PRIMARILY for a smaller, simpler, lighter system for my solo performances, currently only at one small restaurant. Writing this and thinking about my initial impression (sound) prompts me to make sure to keep in mind my first objective - "if it sounds one-THIRD as good as the Bose, it will be fine, for my purpose".

Now, certainly utopia would be simply plugging one guitar and mic straight in. Reality is - I play a 6-string and a 12-string, each need their own EQ's and thus pre-amp, and I use a harmony device - all of these must be pre-plugged-in for fast seamless switching, and all are key elements of the variety that I feel I must have in my solo presentation. THIS is why I'm so sure I will stick with the Bose T1 mixer, plus its instrument-specific tailored EQ presets just sound good. And I already know how to use it.

My additional use of the SoloAmp will be as a side-monitor in my 4-piece band. Each player uses his own Bose L1, but it tends to get loud, and the bass guy on the left doesn't hear the lead guy on the right as well as we would like. We've learned that running the lead guitar and vocal into a small monitor over by the bass guy does the trick, but our little Roland Cube Street practice amp is a little under-powered. The SoloAmp will do the job very well.

My Next Steps:

The rest of the week evenings at home I will introduce the pre-amps and T1, 12-string and harmony gizmo into the deal. I may or may not have time to set up the Bose and do a side by side A-B. The REAL proof will be Saturday night at my restaurant gig - and on THIS I will report back early next week.

I appreciate your indulgence, and your interest.

Thanks, Mike

Last edited by MikeTX; 09-16-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Default Make You A Bet?

Aloha,

I'll betcha the first time a Soloamp hits a loud, large, crowded room, no one outside of the first 20 feet will be able to hear anything coming from it.

Line array speaker systems simply cannot handle noisy crowds unless you get like 4 of them in series up on a raised stage. Hey, if the Bose can't handle that kind of dispersion requirement, do you think a Soloamp will? Somethin' to think about. I'll betcha. They're both gonna pan out to be nothing more than expensive toys!

alohachris
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification