The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
the most natural tone does not always work well live.
Yep. We don't always want that mic'd up sound, which can be thin or tinny and might not be the right sound for certain applications.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
That would definitely make for a better set up.
Now that I think about it, I have a couple of low-stakes gigs this weekend where I could try the TD out....
Old 01-23-2018, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. I was just wanting to confirm there was something I had missed with regard to live performances. Everyone seems to love the TD.

My TD should arrive tomorrow from DreamGuitars. I'll be using it in a live worship environment with keys, cajon, and an electric bass. The good news is that I also double as a (extremely amateur) soundman so I should be able to tweak the EQ back to flat My current setup is a RedEye direct into the board with a wedge monitor.

I'm planning to train with an AKG perception 170. My guitar is a D28 Marquis with a K&K. I also sometimes play an om28. I'll report back later this week if I get time to set everything up.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I will give the effects loop idea a try this week and report back. As for multiple instruments, here's my take on it. As mentioned, I too play mandolin (octave as well). For me, I would love to have all three through the Tonedexter but even if I can't do that, I am just happy to have my guitar going through it. I personally find that guitar is difficult to make sound good live with a piezo style pickup. It's just always apparent that it's a pickup. For whatever reason, mandolins don't always have that issue. They can sound very, very good with even just a bridge transducer or something like the K&K. Obviously having more than one preamp/di is a bummer but it's just one view.
I agree. i am always working on the guitar sound.
the mando sounds really good just through a di. I may do this. it will require
more cords.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:11 AM

Default Stereo ToneDexter?

I have a guitar being made for me with two K&K undersaddle pickups and a stereo jack output. I wonder whether anyone knows whether there are stereo versions of the ToneDexter. Or whether anyone has heard about an update with stereo capabilities coming out shortly.
Many thanks in advance.
Greetings,
Carlos
Old 02-12-2018, 05:47 AM

I’ve gone back to using Tone Dexter again. For me the Aura or TD are the best way for getting the sound I want and I like that the TD works with any pickup and sounds very natural. I do feel that the pickup and monitor is choice are important however. It seems to sound best through a real PA speaker like a QSC and I do not like how K&K still feeds back and the Matrix still sounds quacky in the mids even after processing.

I’m currently using a Yamaha LL16 with my TD and it seems to be a great combination where it picks up a little body sound but not enough to feed back and the pickups is nicely defined and smooth sounding.

I’m trying to find a pickup similar to the Yamaha.

I also tried James own Ultra Tonic pickup at NAMM and liked it a lot.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Many folks say the TD works with any pick up. Is that true? Some specifically say that it sounds good with a K&K. How about a dual source K&K (mini and mic). Perhaps it is redundant because you can achieve the mic sound through the TD, but has anyone tried the TD with this set up (assuming you are going through a pre that powers the mic before the TD

I have the Daul source K&K in most of my guitars and it sound glorious. Just curious.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Many folks say the TD works with any pick up. Is that true? Some specifically say that it sounds good with a K&K. How about a dual source K&K (mini and mic). Perhaps it is redundant because you can achieve the mic sound through the TD, but has anyone tried the TD with this set up (assuming you are going through a pre that powers the mic before the TD

I have the Daul source K&K in most of my guitars and it sound glorious. Just curious.
It works with any pickup that is not magnetic. Dual source (piezo and mic) is okay, but as you suggest, you may find the on-board mic is redundant (and a feedback bother) once it neatly makes the piezo sound very much like a mic. That said, it can also make an on-board mic sound like the external mic used during the WaveMap training session.

We have numerous users who have successfully used it with dual source systems. Most chose to dial off the mic blend and go with straight piezo.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup
Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 AM

"I have a guitar being made for me with two K&K undersaddle pickups and a stereo jack output. I wonder whether anyone knows whether there are stereo versions of the ToneDexter. Or whether anyone has heard about an update with stereo capabilities coming out shortly."

Hi James, any chance you could give me a quick answer here? Thanks!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:40 AM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfibanez View Post
"I have a guitar being made for me with two K&K undersaddle pickups and a stereo jack output. I wonder whether anyone knows whether there are stereo versions of the ToneDexter. Or whether anyone has heard about an update with stereo capabilities coming out shortly."

Hi James, any chance you could give me a quick answer here? Thanks!
There is no stereo ToneDexter, and nothing planned along those lines. You could always use 2 ToneDexters

That said, if you're not bent on a stereo presentation, you could certainly combine both K&Ks together by summing Tip and Ring and you'd have a very nice sound through ToneDexter.
James May Engineering
Old 02-12-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James May View Post
There is no stereo ToneDexter, and nothing planned along those lines. You could always use 2 ToneDexters That said, if you're not bent on a stereo presentation, you could certainly combine both K&Ks together by summing Tip and Ring and you'd have a very nice sound through ToneDexter.
Thanks James. Actually, stereo is not a proper word for this, I am thinking about a two-track ToneDexter. My instrument has 7 sympathetic strings running across the soundhole (in addition to the usual 6 strings), and each pickup is being used to capture the two set of strings separately. For this project, I would like to be able to apply different effects (e.g. reverb and delay) to the two signals. For example, the sympathetic strings are great for making a background drone or soundscape.

I have considered getting two ToneDexters (no kidding), but I feel it is a rather cumbersome, suboptimal solution. A 2-track ToneDexter would be very sleek. May be there is a market for it, guitar duos perhaps. Not sure.

Anyhow, would you consider making one? I am happy to discuss cost, etc. offline if you agree.

Thanks again!

Carlos
Old 02-12-2018, 11:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks James. Actually, stereo is not a proper word for this, I am thinking about a two-track ToneDexter. My instrument has 7 sympathetic strings running across the soundhole (in addition to the usual 6 strings), and each pickup is being used to capture the two set of strings separately. For this project, I would like to be able to apply different effects (e.g. reverb and delay) to the two signals. For example, the sympathetic strings are great for making a background drone or soundscape.

I have considered getting two ToneDexters (no kidding), but I feel it is a rather cumbersome, suboptimal solution. A 2-track ToneDexter would be very sleek. May be there is a market for it, guitar duos perhaps. Not sure.

Carlos
I see. In order to achieve your goals, you COULD process each pickup separately with its own unique set of effects, THEN combine the results to mono, and THEN process through ToneDexter to bring back the richness back to the affected sound. There is no law that says ToneDexter needs to be first in the signal chain. It's a linear process, so by definition is independent of processing order. That's not strictly true of other effects you might use, but nonetheless will still work. Reverb and delay are certainly workable this way.

Oh and one WaveMap that captures the instrument's resonances will most likely work equally well on either pickup if they are the same type. In fact, we've had a guy do exactly as you propose with great results. His was a double neck 6 string and 12 string with K&Ks.
James May Engineering
Old 02-12-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I see. In order to achieve your goals, you COULD process each pickup separately with its own unique set of effects, THEN combine the results to mono, and THEN process through ToneDexter to bring back the richness back to the affected sound. There is no law that says ToneDexter needs to be first in the signal chain. It's a linear process, so by definition is independent of processing order. That's not strictly true of other effects you might use, but nonetheless will still work. Reverb and delay are certainly workable this way
Thanks! The tricky part may be the combination of the two signals to MONO. I guess it is not as simple as putting the two cables together. I tried that once with two guitars and the result was a mess.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks! The tricky part may be the combination of the two signals to MONO. I guess it is not as simple as putting the two cables together. I tried that once with two guitars and the result was a mess.
Correct. Y-cable - BAD. Mixer - good! Or better still, a custom made Y-adapter with some 10K build out resistors would probably get the job done with no downside.
James May Engineering
Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
There is no stereo ToneDexter, and nothing planned along those lines. You could always use 2 ToneDexters

That said, if you're not bent on a stereo presentation, you could certainly combine both K&Ks together by summing Tip and Ring and you'd have a very nice sound through ToneDexter.
Ah For me a two channel ToneDexter would be
sweet. Seperate eq and wavemap selection
with a toggle to switch. For live use for us
multi instrument folks it would be sweet.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification