The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2017, 05:15 AM

Default HyVibe acoustic guitar with built-in FX and looper

A French start-up tries to compete with Yamaha Transacoustic & TonewoodAmp

The difference is that the actuator is under the bridge and not on the back of the guitar and is still Feedback free.

* MultiFX
* Looper
* Recording
* Backing tracks
* No Amp required (the actuator/speaker moves the guitar top)

http://www.musicradar.com/news/hyvib...corder-and-amp

They are lauching a Kickstarter... I did not try it, so I don't recommand anything but it is good to know
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 12-01-2017, 07:16 AM

Hmm not sure about this. I need some sort of foot control for the looper, tap tempo etc. Can’t imagine doing all that with the onboard electronics by hand while I am also trying to play and sing.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:52 AM

Being a ToneWoodAmp owner myself, I can say for sure that feedback is a huge issue when performing with it live. The HyVibe looks to be equipped with bluetooth which hopefully is midi-capable to trigger all the great iOS virtual instruments. The effects and sounds from their video isn't too good though...
Old 12-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Default HyVibe acoustic guitar with built-in FX and looper

That’s fascinating. On one hand, I can see this being very useful to younger musicians who play modern styles of music with the multitude of effects. But the thing that I like the most is the connected object part. We’ve been discussing Pickup technology with IR processing, which I suspect this includes. The fact that they’ve figured out the Bluetooth control is exciting. Imagine the power of the Tondexter inside your guitar for performances without the need for holes or controls on the instrument. Just set it up with your phone and voila.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
That’s fascinating. On one hand, I can see this being very useful to younger musicians who play modern styles of music with the multitude of effects. But the thing that I like the most is the connected object part. We’ve been discussing Pickup technology with IR processing, which I suspect this includes. The fact that they’ve figured out the Bluetooth control is exciting. Imagine the power of the Tondexter inside your guitar for performances without the need for holes or controls on the instrument. Just set it up with your phone and voila.
I am pretty sure there is no IR inside
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 12-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
A French start-up tries to compete with Yamaha Transacoustic & TonewoodAmp

The difference is that the actuator is under the bridge and not on the back of the guitar and is still Feedback free.

* MultiFX
* Looper
* Recording
* Backing tracks
* No Amp required (the actuator/speaker moves the guitar top)

http://www.musicradar.com/news/hyvib...corder-and-amp

They are lauching a Kickstarter... I did not try it, so I don't recommand anything but it is good to know
Reminds me a bit of the Ovation iDEA preamp. I have one of these in a box, like new, and I believe it fits and works as intended with any of the newer-style Ovation preamps OP 40 and above.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-01-2017, 11:38 AM

Hello! We understand about the foot pedal for the looper. We plan to make one in the future. But for now our looper is optimized to be controlled by hand (countdown, automatic slicing).

Regarding midi (and IR pickup): not in this HyVibe Guitar. However it will be still possible to 'hack' our instrument because it has input and output jacks (using your audio to midi device and re-injecting the synthesized sounds).

To manage feedback, we developed vibration control algorithms and a low-latency sound card. This also allows us to excite the top plate of the guitar, where the main natural vibrations of the guitar come from.

More details and videos can be found on website: www.hyvibe.audio

Last edited by HyVibe; 12-01-2017 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Didn't answer full question!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:25 PM

Welcome to the AGF HyVibe!

Cuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyVibe View Post
Hello! We understand about the foot pedal for the looper. We plan to make one in the future. But for now our looper is optimized to be controlled by hand (countdown, automatic slicing).

Regarding midi (and IR pickup): not in this HyVibe Guitar. However it will be still possible to 'hack' our instrument because it has input and output jacks (using your audio to midi device and re-injecting the synthesized sounds).

To manage feedback, we developed vibration control algorithms and a low-latency sound card. This also allows us to excite the top plate of the guitar, where the main natural vibrations of the guitar come from.

Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 12-01-2017, 03:42 PM

Nice to get a reply from the devs, welcome!
Old 12-01-2017, 06:14 PM

Thanks, nice to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyVibe View Post

Old 12-08-2017, 09:29 AM

I just signed up for the early-early bird on the HyVibe, for around 500 € (5000 SEK) including VAT. I am a TonewoodAmp user, and I have more and more started to love being able to add especially some reverb when I sit at home playing, but the HyVibe will take this to a whole new level (I believe). And so convenient having it all built-in to the guitar. I have played the Yamaha Transacoustic quite a lot in the music stores here in Stockholm, and while a nice guitar I find it a bit limited (and probably not upgradeable with new software?!?).

One feature I got confirmed the HyVibe will support, which I find missing (with my playing style... check link YT for example below) in the TonewoodAmp, is a compressor. That is awesome!! (y)

There are still a few perks left for the early-early bird price for those interested, but it will still be a fantastic value after that as well ($50 more). That will bring it up to what I paid when buying a new Tanglewood with pretty basic pre-amp last summer.

One of me a little funky songs where I have used the TA reverb a little, but where I think some compression could help:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QwI5Doa--4

Really looking forward to get the HyVibe in June in time for the "outdoor playing season" here in Stockholm.

Cheers,
Per, Stockholm

Last edited by Per Burström; 12-08-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:42 AM

Only one left for the early-early bird price, but even after that it will be a fantastic value. They still need 8-9 more backers to reach their target though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification