The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-02-2017, 01:16 PM

I prefer to have control of my volume so what will I lose by using Alix's line out instead of the xlr out? (Mostly I'd be going into my PA or into the soundman's DI from the Alix)
Old 12-02-2017, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I prefer to have control of my volume so what will I lose by using Alix's line out instead of the xlr out? (Mostly I'd be going into my PA or into the soundman's DI from the Alix)
You have the gain control, of course, and if your guitar has a volume control you have that too, both of which will affect both outputs. By using the 1/4 inch, you'll just lose the low-impedance unbalance out that is best for a mixer. You'd probably want to run the 1/4 inch into a DI so you can do XLR to the board. It's just a bit unfortunate to run a very high quality preamp/DI into another DI.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
By using the 1/4 inch, you'll just lose the low-impedance unbalance out that is best for a mixer.
also the slightly beefier transformer tone you get out of the XLR!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have a follow-up question....Does the
DI XLR output send the post-EQ signal to the mixer? The Venue manual
specifically states 'post-EQ' , whereas the Alix manual is confusing to me.

The manual says 'for sending signal to a foh, monitor console, or any mixer
where balanced, isolated signal needs to be sent'.

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

It's post-EQ, which is normal, probably why they don't call it out. I haven't seen too many devices that have pre-EQ, but I'd expect to have both pre and post in that case, or to have it be switchable. There's a very helpful signal flow diagram on page 10 of the manual - pretty simple for Alix. The DI out is post everything, boost, effects insert, etc.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Doug. I had always assumed it was post-EQ, but the last few days
of DI research got me thinking. So, I thought I would make sure.
For example, I was looking at the Mesa Rosette preamp/di and it has
2 outputs....one pre-EQ and one post-eq similar to your description.

I am getting close to pulling the trigger on the Alix. I will mostly be running it
via XLR to my Bose T1/L1mod2 where I feel sure the Alix will shine.
I also tried the Venue straight to my JBL Eon One via XLR and 1/4".
The difference was hard to discern; so I assume the Alix will do fine
in that setup, also.

Thanks to all.

Goodall MdRSC/Adirondack yr2018 + Sunrise
Goodall RSC/Sitka yr2001 + Sunrise
Goodall HRGCC/Italian yr2004 + Sunrise
Martin D-10E Sitka/Sapele MX-T
Bose L1 mod2, Pro8, S1 Pro, QSC K8.2, CP8
Old 12-04-2017, 12:12 PM

Thanks for the info---much appreciated! I'm gonna pull the trigger on an Alix soon!
Old 12-07-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittoon View Post
Well, a big brown truck delivered my new Grace Alix today. I spent the evening with the DI box. A problem presented itself immediately. -Because my Venue (and RedEye) are battery powered, I never gave much thought to the electrical plugs in this older mid 1950's house. In my guitar room, half the electrical plugs in the walls have the "third prong" and the other wall plugs are the old fashion two-prong type. "Of course" the wall plug I had in mind for my new DI box turns out to be unusable as it is the "two prong" type! So I ended up with the amp plugged into the west wall and the DI box on the East wall. (Both 3-prong) But... a very annoying "hum" or "buzz" was coming out the amp which has always been DEAD quiet! (I hate 60hz "hum") The only way I found to eliminate the "hum" or "buzz" is to plug both the amp and DI box into the same wall socket be it the west wall or the east wall. I do not quite understand what's going on.
Simply put the wiring in your wall is setting up a ground loop. By plugging both into the same outlet you eliminate that loop.
I would plug them both into the grounded outlet. Use an extension cord.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
Thanks for the info---much appreciated! I'm gonna pull the trigger on an Alix soon!
Well let us know what you think when you get it, but I for one, applaud your decision
Old 12-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
Simply put the wiring in your wall is setting up a ground loop. By plugging both into the same outlet you eliminate that loop.
I would plug them both into the grounded outlet. Use an extension cord.
Yes. I am guessing that when one uses two or more AC powered devices, it must be common knowledge to plug all in as physically close as possible. Because my DI boxes in the past have all used batteries, I have never dealt with "hum" or buzz. My simple rig is sounding really great now. The only problem now is that I have an ugly extension cord and an 18ft. Mogami cable going right across the floor in the middle of the room! Wife says it's tacky looking! I've got to put my "thinking-cap" on! ... PS Part of the reason I got the Alix was the variable input Z control (passive KK pickups on 4 of my 5 guitars) Guess what? -I actually prefer the 10MEG input Z over the 1MEG -All in all, the difference between 10 and 1 MEG Z is very slight at least at lower volumes. And I have a fairly decent ear!

Last edited by Kittoon; 12-08-2017 at 06:22 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification