The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-16-2017, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Fender Blues Jr. - Beautiful cleans. Tons of power, more than you'll ever need for most gigs and certainly at home.

Vox AC10C1 - Same qualities as the Junior, but more British flavor.

Blackstar HT5R - Beautiful cleans and a pretty good distortion channel at more manageable levels. Most 5 watters don't have any clean headroom - this amp does.

The Fender Champion series have a really nice clean tone. SS, but doesn't sound overly digital. I have a Fender Frontman 25R I just picked up for $40 and I'm thrilled with the cleans. I played through the Champion stuff last weekend and the 40 may deliver what you want. A LOT of volume for a SS amp, great clean channel and the ability to switch to other modeling options on a 2nd channel.

The Super Champ X2 is a step up from the Champion stuff IMO, but not by as much as you would think and at more than 2x the price.

There is a lot of options at your price point. Good luck and take your time. Beware of "dark " sounding tube amps. No way to add sparkle without putting a pedal or modeler in front.
Some really good suggestions here.

If you go with the Blues Jr, buy the Tweed version, not the black Tolex. Major difference in sound. Also, the Blues Jr's "proper" way of setting is counter-intuitive. Crank the master and dial in the loudness with the Volume knob. You'll notice it does not say "gain", but most people errantly use the volume for gain. Distortion is best achieved with a pedal/pedals.

Super Champ X2 isn't a bad suggestion, but overpriced, IMO. I had a SuperChamp XD for two days and returned it. There was nothing that my Roland Cube 40 couldn't sound like. So, for around $300 you can get a discontinued Roland Cube 80 which has a built in attenuator for low volumes and is powerful enough to gig with, and light enough to transport easily.

Another amp series that hasn't been mentioned is the Boss Katana series. I'm not impressed by the lower end models, but the more expensive ones are really good and are largely the reason that Roland discontinued the regular Cubes and is letting Boss (same company) cover that end of things.

And yeah, a lot of guys like the Vox sound. I'm not familiar with the specific models, but they have a good reputation.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-16-2017, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
What's been your experience of reliability with the Bugeras????
Everything all the other guys said, and mine is in its seventh year of ownership - as reliable as any comparable factory-made tube amp out there, and at a far-better price...
Old 12-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Would like suggestions for an amp for clean, classic tones to be used in living room, and probably never gigged. Will be playing a Stratocaster. Lots of people swear by tube amps but I can go with either solid state or tubes. Thanks....
Quote:
I'd like to stay <$800. My frame of reference would be either a Fender Hot Rod or a Fender Champion 40/100, but I'm wondering if I'm excluding some good alternatives....
For clean, classic tones from a Strat for under $800 my choice would be the Roland Jazz Chorus (JC-40)...a rightly legendary amp, untouched when it comes to clean tones.

$498 at Musiciansfriend right now after the holiday discount . (no financial interest)

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
adding the extension speaker is like having two amps !!!!!!
Good to know. I might check into the speaker box that you bought.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 12-16-2017, 03:23 PM

If you do hook one up make sure you put the ohm selector switch on 4 ohms while using it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 12-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Thanks Martin!
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 12-16-2017, 04:38 PM

For crystal-clear clean guitar tones, I can't think of anything better than a Fender Twin Reverb or Roland Jazz Chorus JC-120. If you aren't concerned with blasting away neighbors, these two amps are capable of loud, glassy clean tones. Pretty easy to find one in the OP's price range, if you're willing to buy used.

The Fender Princeton Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, or Super Reverb; and Roland Jazz Chorus JC-20, JC-40, JC-60, or JC-77 would also be on my short list. It depends on how loud you want to go, or if you want to get any grit in the tone by overdriving the amp.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 PM

Another vote for the 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue.

I just bought one of the versions with the 12" speaker (which puts it at the top of your budget, depending upon discounts) and I like it quite a bit. But I think the standard version with the 10" speaker may be more iconic in its Fender chimyness.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:04 AM

There is no perfect amp...only a perfect amp for you. I like Fendery, Supro, Milkman, Voxy clean tones and the power tube(not pre-amp) distortion they have when driven. For home use that means low power since I do not play out much anymore. For instance, I am practicing through a Fender Supersonic 22w today which if I turn over 2 on volume it starts to blow me out and adds to my permanent tinitus.....but I love the cleans on it.

Try a lot of amps and find an amp that sings to you. You might like gainy amps or cleaner sparkly. But until you play thru a lot you will always be searching for your sound. From experience, I know I bought and sold a lot of equipment until I realized what appealed to me. So take some time.

I am not sure what your budget is but if tight I would definitely look as bugera, Blackstar, Egnater Rebel and VHT and maybe some of the Fender Champs. I find Bugera dark but lots of folks like them. Blackstars are great and their distortion is good...not my thing but it could be yours. I learned this only after owning a couple...ugh. The VHT special ULtra six is more my style. I have it as practice amp. Has built in attenuation to 1/2 a watt. Sounds like my Fenders. It is handwired and can be easily modded. I find The Egnaters can cover a lot of sounds from close to Fender to close to Marshall. If I were not old and not trying to downsize I would look hard at a Rebel 20. All these can be had for decent prices used.

All in all take some time, have fun, find your sound. After that we go pedal shopping

Last edited by Scotso; 12-17-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Bugera V-22......Save your $ and buy one of these and a nice Strymon pedal for less than $800, you'll have great sound, good luck.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Ancient search??? I posted it 30 minutes ago. As for my home, I have a cabin in the woods with neighbors 30-40 ads away. Short answer, I can really crank it up....
You may have started your search recently, but philosophers have been seeking this for a very long time. If you can crank it, then my suggestion would be to get a Deluxe Reverb vintage or new reissue. The Princeton reissue is a great amp, I have one. But the DRRI sounds better with its 12 in speaker and larger cabinet. The DRRI's two channels might come in handy too.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:59 AM

I play acoustic guitars through electric amps
and I think electric guitars sound awesome though acoustic amps.
I have a recto-verb and I want to add a Rosette.

Good luck!

Old 12-20-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:
What's been your experience of reliability with the Bugeras????
I don't own the V22, but I do have the smaller V5. I upgraded the tubes and it hands down beats anything else in its price range, and then some. Bugera's are the best valued tube amps out there. I have had zero durability issues in the 4 years I have owned it.

I plan to upgrade my V5 to a V22, probably next year.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post
I don't own the V22, but I do have the smaller V5. I upgraded the tubes and it hands down beats anything else in its price range, and then some. Bugera's are the best valued tube amps out there. I have had zero durability issues in the 4 years I have owned it.

Bugera is a lot of amp. It would be tough to get me to turn loose of mine or trade it for anything else even close to that price range.
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 12-21-2017, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawsoniii View Post

What tubes did you put in your V5 ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars