The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-25-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The harder the fret wire, the more "spring" it has and the more it resists whatever YOU want it to do. I haven't used Evo, but being a harder fret wire, you can plan on at least some of the ends not wanting to stay down. CA glue is a marvellous thing. In the days before its invention, fret ends could be a real, uhm, pain. Fret installation technique will also take you a long way, but sometimes only so far.
I use the EVO fretwire and love it. I assume you got it from LMI who ships ir coiled, which saves the issue of have to pre-radius it. I've had no trouble with its springiness as far as installation goes. A firm hand on the hammer and it will stay put just fine.

Guild
'56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '62 F-20, '64 Mark II, '65 SF IV, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVP, '90 Pilot, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird
Acorn House Guitars
Parlor #1, Butternut Deuce, Rounder, Kulakeiki
G&L '93 Legacy
Lute '03 Lyn Elder
Old 07-27-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuw View Post
I may have to try that, thanks.

Charles it's good that you atleast have it on your "to do list". I hope that's shortly after I finish this one so I can live " vicariously" thru your build.

Finally got the inlay done on the fretboard. I'm not a fan of this black mop, to see it the best you need to lay on your back while holding the guitar at about a 12 degree angle, some angles it just seems to disappear. Not sure yet if I'm going to use it or not.

Started binding the head stock for the 2nd time. I didn't like how some of the angle cuts looked, so I routered everything off and started over. I'm hoping this time it will look a lot better.

I had some time to kill waiting for glue to dry so I put the first coat of tru-oil on the back to check my sanding progress... everything is looking good.

Very nice Stu, but I'm surprised you're not done yet
Seriously, I love that Ziricote!

Scott
Old 07-28-2013, 03:34 PM

Hey Scott,

I havent had alot of time to work on the guitar lately, I did finish the binding, and started the pour filling with tru-oil.

I'm not going to use the fret board, I just cann't stand the black mop. I'm going to order an ebony fret board and start over.

Stu
Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 AM

For those of you who have never worked with ziricote, this picture will give you a pretty good idea how porous this wood is.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuw View Post
started the pour filling with tru-oil.
Usually, "materials" are used to fill the pores rather than using the finish material itself. Using "materials" fills the pores much faster.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Usually, "materials" are used to fill the pores rather than using the finish material itself. Using "materials" fills the pores much faster.
Usually that's true, except for tru-oil. This is coat number 5.
Three regular coats,
4th coat wet sanded with 400 grit and let the "slurry" fill the pores
5th coat just applied in less than 24 hours.

Most pores are filled. I will wet sand again on coat 8 with 600 grit and I should be done.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Neck is carved and fit, sorry about the washed out picture will do another later.

My sweetie talked me into using the original finger board, I think she is adopting this one, she is calling it the "Deb"

Old 08-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

It is looking very slick Stuw. I like the cliche palm inlay and am working on a guitar that I am calling "Rose Cliche" after its headstock inlay.

Jim
Old 08-05-2013, 06:06 PM

One other thing I meant to add Stuw was that the shape is quite masculine, was it your own design or did you use plans?

Jim
Old 08-06-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
It is looking very slick Stuw. I like the cliche palm inlay and am working on a guitar that I am calling "Rose Cliche" after its headstock inlay.

Jim
Thanks Jim,
The palm tree theme continues (maybe) I made up this bridge but not sure I'm going to use it yet.

Post up some pictures of your "rose" guitar, I would love to see them.

No prints, I traced a old JD Player dread I've had for years, went from there to make it my own.

Better view of the neck with out the sun glare.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:15 PM

Thanks Stuw, I will get around to posting "Rose Cliche" sooner or later. Maybe I should put it in this section as it is not technically a custom but it is certainly a build.

Jim

Someone please turn up the Tele!
Old 08-08-2013, 08:54 PM

Looking good, Stu. I like the way the grain goes across on the back of the headstock. Looks nice.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:05 AM

Looking good! I have a zircote I built that is just a year old. It is very sensitive to humidity and has developed a couple of cracks. Cant say I baby my guitars tho...but it does not have to change much for a lot of movement. Keep it stable would be my advice..
Old 08-13-2013, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian John View Post
Looking good! I have a zircote I built that is just a year old. It is very sensitive to humidity and has developed a couple of cracks. Cant say I baby my guitars tho...but it does not have to change much for a lot of movement. Keep it stable would be my advice..
Thanks for the heads up, I've heard this from a few others as well. Where did the cracks start? Back or sides?

Thanks Bob, I was a little worried about how the neck was going to turn out, but I am happy with the end result.

Jim I noticed you started your build thread, and will go look at it next. I haven't been near a computer or my shop for about a week. I'm out in PA visiting my daughter and her family and getting to know the newest addition to our family, my new granddaughter.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:53 PM

On the back..and at sound port..

Love the tone of mine. .I guess I would call it bright.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair